cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW Boots only into BIOS - Hard drive / CD drive are gone as boot options. Help!

petezilla
Level 7
I bought this beast today actually. I took off Windows 8 and put on Windows 7. Everything was working fine until i noticed the keyboard didn't backlight itself.

I checked out the bios and realized i had a new update to flash on the bios (217). I proceeded to flash 217 with no errors. As soon as i rebooted, the laptop would only boot into the bios every time. The hard drive and dvd drive have disappeared as boot options(the bios recognizes them in the SATA options though). I tried to flash back but the utility prevents me from flashing anything else. (it won't let previous versions flash because it is an outdated version, i tried re-flashing 217 and it said it couldn't flash it as well for being too outdated)

I've cleared the capacitors/cmos, messed with every option i could in the BIOS and done a bit of googling. I am trying a bootable USB disk as we speak. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

rewben
Level 13
@petezilla, check these in bios:

1. disabled the secureboot and fast boot;
2. enabled launch csm;
3. boot order.

one thing at a time. just don't panic yet. to revert the bios you can use ctrl+home combo, with the stock bios in your stock drive (if you haven't formatted it yet)

Secure and fast boot have been disabled. CSM is launched. Boot order only shows my USB stick, when i take it out there is nothing under the boot order.

I've tried manually adding the hard drive path as a boot option but its a bit confusing and im not sure if its even possible without it being detected as a boot option. Are there any third party flashing tools i could use to force a flash back to 214?

petezilla
Level 7
USB disk seemed to fix it! The old boot options are back. Thank you for the help! Now if you can tell me how to get the keyboard backlight working, ill be 100%

rewben
Level 13
install atk package. reboot. try playing with fn+f3/f4. normally after you flash the bios, the backlight is off by default.

how did you fix it with usb stick? can you please share with us?

jschings6697
Level 7
Hello, I have a G75VW and I am having the EXACT same issue. PLEASE tell us how you fixed it! I am ready to throw this thing out of the window!

master7
Level 7
hi. i have same problem from yesterday... please give us a fix with usb or something else.... 😞