Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
    But you can order and classify your own applications. And search IS more efficient, so I don't know why you aren't using it in the first place...
    Search has limitations I already explained and you ignored. You can not classify applications into nested subdirectories. Period. Sorting is not proper ordering/classification. Sure it may work for you but it certainly doesn't for my usage scenario.

This kind of sounds like a bad joke. 3 mouse clicks is considered good? You manually sorted 800 programs? The metro UI does the same thing as the windows start menu. You can click view all apps to see them sorted. This seems to be a case of "doesn't fully understand the tool"!
    This is a case of not understanding what I am saying. Nothing more. I don't want them sorted. I want them organized in subdirectories. Sorting is absolutely useless with this amount of applications. And I organize them upon installation. I don't order 800 applications altogether by hard. I place them in their proper subfolders under Programs during installation. The majority of applications allow you to do that in the installer. The 5% that it doesn't, you can do it manually after installation is done. 3 mouse clicks is excellent considering the alternative which is no clicks at all but Windows key+W and typing a tool..oh wait.. I can't remember its name. So scrap that.. I have to actually look over a million of icons. Useability? 0. (Always for my particular usage scenario which you seem to forget and think it's identical to yours).
    Still you seem intent on arguing for the sake of arguing. I said that it works for some people. That includes you obviously. It doesn't work for me and all you can do is accept it, instead of trying to say that I'm doing it wrong.

I don't have a windows tablet or smartphone (well I do have a 25 year old IBM tablet...), and there are no integration features biting me in the ass. User choice is not a problem, MS has only to offer 1 inbuilt choice, if you want something else, INSTALL IT YOURSELF.
    You don't have a tablet or smartphone. Good. And how is that relevant with Microsoft's marketing strategies? Because it's not. The market does not evolve around what YOU use but what the majority of the world uses and what is predicted by statistics.
    http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23982813
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/10/gar...ipad-dominate/
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/u...-in-ipad-sales
    http://blogs.forrester.com/frank_gil...mputing_device

Microsoft has to offer nothing at all. It's their choice what they offer.
    What they SHOULD offer though is another thing. When they completely want to change the interface they SHOULD offer a choice, specially when the old system is already present.
    Do you think companies would spent time and resources in training employees to use the new interface? Search online for that answer, for what TCO is. You are of course free to have your opinion on the subject but that doesn't change how the market works or what the users want. The percentage of people that like the new interface is actually VERY VERY small. And this is the reason the start menu is coming back with Windows 8.1.

O_O

Do you log in to your WM on a linux box as root???
    As an administrator of several linux boxes, I can give you an educated answer. Linux provides completely different mechanisms. If I want to do administrative tasks on my linux boxes, I can use su to turn into root and stay as root. Then I do not get nagged on everything I do, even if it involves a WM( Also I CAN log into any WM as root if I need to). I do not have to open special terminal windows. I can hit ctrl-shift 3, drop into tty login as root and do what I want. There are several ways.
    In Windows 8 an administrator account is not an administrator account. That is the issue. So to put it in a proper linux example (unlike yours) it's like logging into root and still not having root rights, requiring you to jump through hoops to get admin access. This is the proper analogy and not the one you described.
    If Windows wants to copy Linux security schemes (and imho they should because they are much more secure) they should do it properly. Use limited permission accounts everywhere and provide the proper tools to enter administration mode/elevated rights WITH NO ADDITIONAL NAGGING AND HOOPS. Windows though does not want to "confuse" the average end-user with security related stuff. Their mentality on security is nagging the user and have them jump through hoops even if they know what they're doing.

Woe is me, MS forcing people to not do stupid things!!!
    Sorry but I do not need hand-holding. I said that point affects POWER USERS. So it's not about you and your workflow. It's about mine (and I clearly stated that). I do not accept ANY kind of forcing on what I can or can not do on my machines. I overclock them, I alter drivers, I alter firmware, I do everything I WANT to them. If I would accept force feeding, I'd be an Apple user. If you need/want MS forcing you into not doing stupid things then its great for you. Enjoy the feature.

This is my last post on the subject.
    Last edited by Nodens; 05-23-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodens View Post
    What they SHOULD offer though is another thing. When they completely want to change the interface they SHOULD offer a choice, specially when the old system is already present.
    Do you think companies would spent time and resources in training employees to use the new interface? Search online for that answer, for what TCO is. You are of course free to have your opinion on the subject but that doesn't change how the market works or what the users want. The percentage of people that like the new interface is actually VERY VERY small. And this is the reason the start menu is coming back with Windows 8.1.
    IF M$ were a monopoly, they could dictate to their customers what the customers "want" or "like." (& yes, I certainly had a grand chuckle when I typed the word "IF"...) Let's continue to support alternative OS-es!

& yes, I totally agree with your appraisal of the "Admin not truely having admin rights" & the frustration of actually attempting to accomplish admin-type tasks in Win8 !!!
    "If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. & if you can't pick it up...paint it RED & BLACK !!"
    G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

............ Macrium Reflect..................Full G55VW/G75VW model list!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Way to go, Gorman and Nodens!!!

You all know that with the Pull ASUS has that the OS specs can be tailored to user preferences. Hence ASUS Edition WINDOWSXX.
    But everyone bullsh!ts and drags their feet; getting us crap we don't want and sh!t we don't need. G75VX issue supremo WLAN : Killer WiFi gaming card that actually has frigg'n support would save us trouble and them time answering stupid questions...right! Is there anyone here that wouldn't have dropped another $20 for gaming lower-ping wifi card. But dumbazz's never ask us.

Nodens beef about being a guest on your own system that you pay for, makes me want to F%#$'n vomit; did everyone think I we exaggerating about the fascist crap??? P.S. Look real close at network settings Network admin can snoop and change sh!T on you system at will...unkown too you. Wish the FBI or CIA snooped on their Bank records to find out how much taxes they're cheating on!!!
    I F'ing hate that i'm going to have to get Linux ready but, open source looks to be the only honest system for us lowly program's (Tron joke).
    Soon I think we may start to protest all software like games, utilities and sort...64bit and Linux. Post your own threads on game forums, Activision, UBI, Steam and whatever. START THE BALL ROLLING!!! Remember, remember the 24 of MAY, the software rebellion and plot. I can think of NO reason why, the software rebellion and plot should ever be FORGOT. V Lives.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Also ASUS was one of the FIRST Major manufacturers to sell the netbook with Linux. Way too go ASUS...Rebels and they didn't even know it. LOL

"Hey, if we use Linux; well save money and lower market price. UUUMMMMMM OK George." LOL

Even greed has exceptions; even if they don't know it.

P.S. They only make games on OS's That sell...Having to sell Linux Halo 5 or 6 would give Steve Balmer a frigg'n stroke.
    Would it not be worth it just for that, I ask you? The next best thing would be to change Microsucks .com Music to Star Wars Empire Theme...DA DA Dada DA. LOL

Open OS's will rule when the games shift OS's. WE PAY, WE SAY!!!

Search has limitations I already explained and you ignored. You can not classify applications into nested subdirectories. Period. Sorting is not proper ordering/classification. Sure it may work for you but it certainly doesn't for my usage scenario.

This is a case of not understanding what I am saying. Nothing more. I don't want them sorted. I want them organized in subdirectories. Sorting is absolutely useless with this amount of applications. And I organize them upon installation. I don't order 800 applications altogether by hard. I place them in their proper subfolders under Programs during installation. The majority of applications allow you to do that in the installer. The 5% that it doesn't, you can do it manually after installation is done. 3 mouse clicks is excellent considering the alternative which is no clicks at all but Windows key+W and typing a tool..oh wait.. I can't remember its name. So scrap that.. I have to actually look over a million of icons. Useability? 0. (Always for my particular usage scenario which you seem to forget and think it's identical to yours).
    Still you seem intent on arguing for the sake of arguing. I said that it works for some people. That includes you obviously. It doesn't work for me and all you can do is accept it, instead of trying to say that I'm doing it wrong.
    You can sort to 1 nested level in the all apps screen. Not sure if you can go higher than that. Otherwise just use a folder structure like you always did.
    You don't have a tablet or smartphone. Good. And how is that relevant with Microsoft's marketing strategies? Because it's not. The market does not evolve around what YOU use but what the majority of the world uses and what is predicted by statistics.
    http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23982813
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/10/gar...ipad-dominate/
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/u...-in-ipad-sales
    http://blogs.forrester.com/frank_gil...mputing_device
    That's nice and all, but irrelevant to your point. W8 is better than W7 for what W7 was used for, putting MS's long term strategies aside.
    Do you think your criticism holds for the majority of users? Are you saying the majority of users want nested application categories? The fix for your problem and for many other people's is just to learn the tool better. It's not to bring back the old kludge just becase you were used to it.
    As an administrator of several linux boxes, I can give you an educated answer. Linux provides completely different mechanisms. If I want to do administrative tasks on my linux boxes, I can use su to turn into root and stay as root. Then I do not get nagged on everything I do
    So if you "cat /etc/shadow" your terminal won't nag you if you aren't root? Mine certainly does.
    even if it involves a WM( Also I CAN log into any WM as root if I need to).
    Holy **** you log in to your WM as root??? EVER???
    I do not have to open special terminal windows. I can hit ctrl-shift 3, drop into tty login as root and do what I want. There are several ways.
    > new virtual terminal
    > not a special terminal
    ???
    In windows I can run cmd.exe as admin, why is this sooo hard???
    In Windows 8 an administrator account is not an administrator account. That is the issue. So to put it in a proper linux example (unlike yours) it's like logging into root and still not having root rights, requiring you to jump through hoops to get admin access. This is the proper analogy and not the one you described.
    You didn't set up your admin account as an admin account??????????????
    If Windows wants to copy Linux security schemes (and imho they should because they are much more secure) they should do it properly. Use limited permission accounts everywhere and provide the proper tools to enter administration mode/elevated rights WITH NO ADDITIONAL NAGGING AND HOOPS. Windows though does not want to "confuse" the average end-user with security related stuff. Their mentality on security is nagging the user and have them jump through hoops even if they know what they're doing.
    Nagging = request for elevation.
    Imagine if when you do apt-get your linux asks "you don't have the permissions, do you want to run this as root?" and prompt for password? Forever running "sudo !!"!
    Sorry but I do not need hand-holding. I said that point affects POWER USERS. So it's not about you and your workflow. It's about mine (and I clearly stated that). I do not accept ANY kind of forcing on what I can or can not do on my machines. I overclock them, I alter drivers, I alter firmware, I do everything I WANT to them. If I would accept force feeding, I'd be an Apple user. If you need/want MS forcing you into not doing stupid things then its great for you. Enjoy the feature.

This is my last post on the subject.
    If you seriously do what you said you do (log in to windows as admin all the time, log in to a linux WM as root, etc) then I am just stunned.
    I hope you aren't a professional administrator and you are just doing that for ****s and giggles.

ROG Member Array

I nominate this for the most problematic thread. I mean, you BOUGHT the laptop for Windows 8! Asus is not required to just
    support everything there is. Plus, hardware has it's limitations. I just don't understand your major malfunction. People are trying
    to tell you the same thing, instead, this thread keeps continuing.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Why do dummies not know how to read?
    hey 21 keep using ur system to just check emails.
    just when I thought people started to get it.
    Yes Win8 I know.
    this is not the congratulations thread; this is the thing's you dislike thread.
    U Brain-dead's are the reason for the failings in support.

The very first cars were made without seatbelts...dummies!!!
    Some people decided to change that...and NO they didn't work for the car makers!!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Arif013 please do not make personal attacks on people. No flaming here. I am asking you to edit your post above and remove the rude comments please.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

After 6 pages I don't even know what your point is any more. You've had a good rant and people offer an opposite opinion but you still fly off the handle. The situation is not going to change, even if you put in for another 6 pages. Case closed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6