cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRST Install for non-bootable RAID 1

George4114
Level 7
Hello,

I have what I think will be a fairly simple question given the expert level in this group. I want to set up 1 or 2 RAID 1 drives (each consisting of 2 HDDs). They are non-bootable (data only). I have Windows 8 64-bit with the latest updates already installed. I need to install IRST and I have downloaded the latest version (3.6.0.1093). What is the procedure to install:

Q1: Can I simply install the software without setting the BIOS to SATA/RAID, then set up the RAID later (I have not yet bought the HDDs)?

Q2: When I am about to set up the RAID, I will set the BIOS to SATA/RAID, hit Cntl-I when the IRST dialog appears, then configure the RAID, correct?

Q3: Do I need to format the HDDs (3TB WD Red) prior to initiating the RAID?

Q4: Anything else I need to be aware of? It seems fairly straightforward, but you never know.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

George
Motherboard: Rampage IV Extreme
Processor: Intel i7-3930K @4.2GHz
Graphics: GeForce GTX Titan
Power Supply: AX 1200i
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
Water Cooled: H80i
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster Titanium
RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1866
Boot Drive: Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD
Monitors: Dell U2410 and U2413 @1920x1200
BIOS: 4004
Intel Chipset Driver: 9.3.0.1026
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
What I would do is the following.

Before I install my OS I would set my SATA mode to RAID

Then with only the single OS hard drive installed complete the OS process.

Once you get the drives you wish to set up as RAID you then pop them into the system and do your RAID.

That way no problems later trying to change your AHCI OS install to RAID to accommodate your new HDD.

No need to format as the process or creating the RAID will do so for you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

George4114
Level 7
Thank you for your reply. You're right about the subsequent Windows 8 issue with changing AHCI to RAID. I just tried it and received Windows 8 version of a BSOD. Is there any way out of this other than reloading the OS as I have lots of apps that would need to be reloaded as well?

George

HiVizMan
Level 40
You could do a software RAID from the OS by the way. That way you need not worry about setting RAID in bios.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Nodens
Level 16
This is the advanced method for switching to RAID mode in existing installation.

Run the registry editor (regedit.exe)

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV

Change REG_DWORD "Start" from 3 to 0

Shutdown

Change to RAID in the UEFI

Boot.

EDIT: Before you attempt this, it's a good idea to backup.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens,

Thank you for your response. When I go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV, parameter ‘Start’ is already set to 0. However in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV\StartOverride, there is a parameter called ‘0’ which is set to 3.

Q1: Should this parameter also be set to 0?

Q2: Should I load the IRST driver prior to the registry edits?

HiVizMan,

Thank you for your response. Would you consider the Intel RAID a software or hybrid or hardware RAID? I suspect the Intel RAID will be significantly faster and more secure than, e.g. a Windows application-level RAID, would you agree? It might make more sense to just bite the bullet and do a Windows reinstall if the above fails to take hold.

George4114 wrote:
Nodens,

Thank you for your response. When I go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV, parameter ‘Start’ is already set to 0. However in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV\StartOverride, there is a parameter called ‘0’ which is set to 3.

Q1: Should this parameter also be set to 0?

Q2: Should I load the IRST driver prior to the registry edits?

Install the driver package first yes.
Check the keys after reboot and set both to 0 if StartOverride still exists.

Thank you for your response. Would you consider the Intel RAID a software or hybrid or hardware RAID? I suspect the Intel RAID will be significantly faster and more secure than, e.g. a Windows application-level RAID, would you agree? It might make more sense to just bite the bullet and do a Windows reinstall if the above fails to take hold.

Intel RAID as 99% of onboard solutions is what we call a BIOS-assisted RAID or as some call it fakeraid.
It is a software solution that is assisted by a BIOS Option ROM or UEFI driver.
In the majority of cases, native software RAID via the operating system performs better than any "fakeraid" solution.
OS software raid though has the issue that it is locked to the operating system. Meaning your array is only compatible with that.
If you want to dual boot other operating systems you can't. That is the only real advantage of BIOS-assisted RAID.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens, thanks!

Given that I have no intention to dual boot, I will then go with a Windows-based RAID. I appreciate your comparison between Intel RAID and Windows RAID.

I still might pursue the Intel RAID/registry edit as I am curious if that will get me past the BSOD.

George

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks Nodens for taking up where I left off, good job as always.

OP enjoy and let us know how it goes please.