cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46 not fully charging battery

Uvpc
Level 7
i just bought a g46vw and i noticed the battery wont charge to 100% even with the ac adapter plugged in it wont charge. I had the ac adapter plugged in and it wont charge pass 95-99% , windows shows it plugged in but not charging. i tried leaving it on overnight and it still wont charge pass 95%. is this normal or should i take it back for a exchange?
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
Yep - that's normal. Overcharging a lithium ion battery will reduce its effective life. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20003-Asus-smart-battery-charging and follow the link in it to the Battery University article.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

hello,i just bought g46,then my battery indicator not turn to "plug in not charging" even when my battery is fully charged.I just afraid that i will overcharged the battery.Please advise.

@MeMyth, something to check is what Windows is saying. If it isn't saying that it is charging, then it probably isn't. It may be that for some reason yours doesn't use the same text strings as ours. :confused: Don't worry about the battery, since Windows isn't in charge of charging it, the BIOS is.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Uvpc
Level 7
ok, now it makes sense why it stops charging at 95%. i did get it to charge to 100% once by unplugging the charger and plugging it back in. well after reading that thread i know i shouldn't do that since it can degrade the battery life and completely normal for it not fully charge. thanks for a fast reply and also saving me a trip back to the store 😄

dstrakele
Level 14
That's right. No effort is required on your part. The electronics in the battery prevent overcharging.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think it will not have overcharged even your battery is full.

rhk217
Level 7
I noticed that the battery stopped charging at around 95% and it used the AC power. But recently it turns out that my laptop too stopped showing the "plugged in, not charging" and right now as I am typing this the laptop is 100% charged and showing "fully charged".

Since I have a G46 with an internal battery and since I'm not in the US, I would like to take all precautions possible. Is there someway I can verify that my battery infact is not overcharging? Can someone explain why the notifications changed over time?

ASUS G46VW-BSI5N06
Intel Corei5-3230M | nVidia GTX-660M 2GB GDDR5 | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 750 GB 5400 RPM HDD | 1366x768 14" Screen

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi, it sounds normal.

Not sure why this information isn't included in the G46VW user manual or most other models, but the English G75VW user manual p33 has some information about this as below if you want to apply it to the G46VW battery (the battery LED works differently for the G46VW model by the way).

Your battery charge will start dropping from 100% eventually and not start charging again until the charge gets below 95%.

Once the battery drops below 95%, it will keep charging until 100% as long as you keep it plugged in.
When the battery is fully charged, the system will stop charging the battery (even while plugged in) and the charge drops from 100% to below 95% before it starts charging again, so you can think of it as a 'cycle.'

Depending where you are in the charging/discharging cycle between 95-100%, the battery can be either charging or discharging while still plugged into AC power.

Hope this makes things a little more clear?

rhk217
Level 7
Thanks, I don't think you can make it any more clearer. 🙂

ASUS G46VW-BSI5N06
Intel Corei5-3230M | nVidia GTX-660M 2GB GDDR5 | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 750 GB 5400 RPM HDD | 1366x768 14" Screen