cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Memory Failure extreme iv

kocy33
Level 7
Hallo,

Im expiriencing very strange memory behavior. I get Bsod's randomly always pointing towords bad memory.

The problem is when i test my ram it shows ok. 4 passes.

After long periods of testing every adress in memtest is an error resulting in many errors 60.000+

I was testing this with memtest 4.10 , 4.20 and 5.10Rc1...

Now when i let my pc running over night it often just bsod or freezes... so that i have to restard.

the odd thing is that if im testing right after such a crash with memtest the memtest shows the same behavior as if i would have run it for several hours resulting in many errors.

Could it be that the memory controller on the board is defective? because i have testet with 2 diffrent sticks. And the system gets unstable only if i keep the system up for hours. But then it crashes on mandatory things like on the start of bluescreenview or the browser...

Should i rma it?

I am using gskill 64gb kit 17000 and i have raised my voltage to 1.55 and tried raising zhe vcssa to 1.20 or 1.225

I hope someone can helpl me cause i am quite frustrated...

edit: I am sorry if my spelling is way off but im typing this of a tablet cause my pc is running a memtest... again 😞
58 REPLIES 58

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi kocy33 🙂

I presume that is one single kit of RAM and not 2 kits of the same make?

Have you tried any other tweaks in the DIGI+ section to get this up and running? Have a look at the end of this post http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide&country=&status=

Do you have the 4 pin EZ plug connected for the extra power?

The memory controller (IMC) is on the CPU these days.....what codes have you been getting from the BSODs

Is your CPU OC'd? What are your exact system specs...they might help...

Thanks for the wuick answer... the board is set to xmg but in jedec i get the same error. My specs: ram:

Gskill f3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD (currently running only one stick! for testing... still issues. so ezplug issue shouldt be...)

cpu is : i7-3970x lga2011

gfx: 2x titans... (only one conected for testing)

psu: corsair ax1200i

the cpucooler is a noctua nhd14

edit for bsod:

i do nt have the dumps... because i reinstalled windows because i thought it was a driver issue...

but the majority was memory management... stop errors 0x1a or something among those

some times irq less or equal but ithink the constand bluescree ing corrupted windows...

quick question.
if a cpu pin would be... the error would apparent before post wouldnt it?

cpu is running at stock... target 4ghz

DummyPLUG
Level 10
Try with jedec setting, all voltage as normal and increase the "CPU Clock gen filter".
I need set it to 10uf to make my 64GB stable

you can also try to increase the " DRAM-AB/CD curent capability"

p.s. same as your problem until I had increase the CPU clock gen filter

what exactly is the cpu clock gen filter? do i set it in bios? what does it do?

izajasz
Level 10
I presume You have tested other RAM in this mobo or 1 stick at a time ? 😛
MOBO: MVIE BIOS 1402 stock
CPU Core i7 4770K
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom. Platinum CMD16GX3M4A1866C9 in XMP, SPEC: http://bit.ly/Z56xfm
SSD/HDD: OS-SAMS 840Pro 256GB, APPS - SAMS 830 512GB, DATA - Seagate ST1000DM003
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ in SLI config (UEFI BIOS)
AUDIO: Onboard
CPU Cooling: Corsair H110
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000W (SS-1000XP)
CASE: NZXT Phantom 630
DISPLAY: ASUS VG278Q (120Hz)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
A good Memtest guide to follow to eliminate bad sticks or bad slots (sometimes caused by pin problems) from HiVizMan http://rog.asus.com/127362012/overclocking/memtest-user-guide-for-rog-motherboards/

Pin problems can be intermittent since a pin can make and break contact with the vibration from the CPU cooler for example if it is barely contacting...but it is well worth checking the socket for visible deviations.

One thing....did you install the OS with all the RAM installed? if so the install might be corrupt to making troubleshooting harder. Maybe a clean install on one working stick of RAM and then get them up and running using the tweaks.. like clock gen to 10uf or 20uf etc etc

Also make sure your hard disk is error free (firmware up to date if SSD) and maybe try another SATA cable.

If none of this works you might have to try another CPU if you can get hold of one for testing.....to eliminate board or CPU from the equation...

tatmMRKIV
Level 10
well when you are doing 64gb at 24000 you are supposed to have the dram up to 140% or 130% and 20uf clock gen acording to the pverclocking guide... really 2 titans 3970 and all that $ and he doesn't even take to time to try to set it up.
I can't get all my 8 slots occupied and cooperating either though had alot easier time with everything before bios update
RIVE C1 3930K @ 4.8 3 ASUS GTX 680 DC2T 250gbSamsung 840 TLC SSD dimastech hardv2.5
H100 w/ 4 push pull Bgear b-blaster 120 16gb 2x f3-2400c9d-8GTXD 9-11-11-31 1t 2475mhz 2tb seagate Antec 1200watt continuous PSU Minuteman 750va commercial UPS LG super multi drive Memorex bluray Samsung Syncmaster T27B750 46" Sharp aquos. killer 2100, soon to be installled: DT sniper dc2 waterblocks, etc

hmmmn i didnt update ssd firmware... my system drive is a ssd. But this doesnt explain why the memtest goes nuts after 6+ hours...

edit:
i did take my time to set it up.... i just dont know what could be causing all these problems

Edit2:
Clock gen filter is on 10 and only one stick (8gb) of ram is in.
Ssd firmware is up to date now.

I am now going to keep the pc running over night and im going to post if any bluescreens happen or the pc freezes again...

Thanks guys for the tips!

If its unstable im going to investigate the cpu pins with a flashlight.

If it is im going to add the 2. gfx and the ram.

see you tomorrow 🙂