cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly bricked G46VW

KAZiBA
Level 7
Before I start, I'd like to say I'm new here - and the G46 that I'm having is my first ever gaming laptop.

Either way, I'm having a major headahe following something that happened today. I was going to change some settings in the BIOS when I accidentally changed the System Date. I thought that selecting Discard Changes & Exit would revert the date to what it was before. If it helped, I don't know. However, the PC is possibly bricked now thanks to that. It does turn on with the power button lighting up and fans running, but the screen remains off, hardware activity stops after a few seconds and then it shuts itself off.

Are there any possible DIY solutions to fix this, if you know what it might be? Or do I have to RMA it?

Thank you all in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

dstrakele
Level 14
Exiting the BIOS in that manner SHOULD NOT have caused any problems, though I have read reports of others with a similar experience.

See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29307-Another-Briked-G75 and try holding down the CTRL and HOME keys while starting the laptop. This should initiate a Crisis BIOS Recovery that will flash the hidden G46VW.BIN file in the root of C :, unless you've reformatted your drive and performed a clean Windows installation. In this case, you can download the BIOS update from the ASUS website to a USB flash drive formatted to a single FAT32 partition, extract the .BIN file, rename it to G46VW.BIN, and attempt the CTRL+HOME startup to initiate the Crisis BIOS Recovery.

If this continues to fail after multiple attempts, contact your retailer if the laptop was recently purchased and see if they'll exchange your defective laptop for a new one.

Otherwise, RMA to ASUS for Warranty repair.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Welcome, @KAZiBA, I'm disappointed that your entry to the forums is in such circumstances, but hopefully you'll get it all straightened out, and then stick around and help others out too! 🙂 I'll second @dstrakele's suggestion and analysis, I wouldn't expect that changing the system date would damage it, but it might. @dstrakele, I don't suppose that the CMOS battery is anywhere in a easily user-accesible location? If it is, then pulling that should reset the date?
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

dstrakele
Level 14
Note that the OP chose to "Discard Changes & Exit", so NO changes should've been made to the BIOS.

Even so, I find it hard to believe changing the System Date would brick a computer.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

KAZiBA
Level 7
@dstrakele

Yes, it does sound highly unusual that changing something as innocent as the date would mess up the BIOS. Maybe something else went wrong at the same time that wasn't related to any settings, however speculating is not helping in this case. I tried what the forum post you linked to suggested, and I couldn't notice any difference. Another user suggested trying 10-15 times, tried that too. Even if it was a silent process, it should have brought me back online. The keyboard doesn't even light up, and it's a backlit version so I doubt it's even registered. Hell, when the computer DID work, it didn't light up until Windows was loaded.

@Zygomorphic

Thank you for welcoming me. It's not ideal to be the new guy when the first thing you do is ask for help because you've bricked your brand new gaming portable. Either way, I'm glad you're here to help, and I'll do the same and stick around. I have read about resetting the CMOS, but when only the RAM is user accessible, what can I do. The last thing I want to do is risk my warranty. It's safe to say that ASUS has a good one - 2 years.

EDIT: I do indeed have the factory Windows 8 installed, however I've factory resetted it two times.

rewben
Level 13
it's hard to believe that simple date change could cause this 😕

perhaps you could give it one more try before sending it to the service center:

1. take out the battery; unplug it from the power source;
2. press the power button for 20 seconds;
3. leave it alone for 24 hours;
4. after that. plug in the power source only (leave out the battery);
5. try the ctrl+home combo again and again.

i guess that's how one of our friends revived his laptop. well, this is the last try. i am not even sure if it works for you.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
rewben wrote:
it's hard to believe that simple date change could cause this 😕

perhaps you could give it one more try before sending it to the service center:

1. take out the battery; unplug it from the power source;
2. press the power button for 20 seconds;
3. leave it alone for 24 hours;
4. after that. plug in the power source only (leave out the battery);
5. try the ctrl+home combo again and again.

i guess that's how one of our friends revived his laptop. well, this is the last try. i am not even sure if it works for you.

fyi.
1. I found a (working) G46VW test unit to try and was able to re-flash it today using the Ctrl+Home key combination while pressing the power button which unfortunately doesn't appear to always work for everybody.

2. If you have a way to check the hard drive with the original ASUS image, you should see the G46VW.bin file (version 204 bios for my unit) on the C: drive that will be used to re-flash the bios.

3. Tried the 'discard changes and exit' with 205 bios and didn't see any problems with my unit this time.

Doesn't sound like the customer is located in North America, but hopefully there will not be any problems for their local ASUS support to take care of it.

I broke my connector port which the power button need and I really don't want to buy a new mother board. I want to turn it on via my usb keyboard please help.

KAZiBA
Level 7
@rewben

My G46 has a non-removable battery (why on Earth would a gaming portable come with a non-removable battery), so your suggestion sadly cannot be performed in my case. I'd open it and access the components if it didn't mean voiding my warranty in the process, though.

I suppose the only solution in my case is to RMA it. I've heard horror stories about ASUS Support, but anyone can have bad luck. I have a TF Prime as well that was serviced due to screen bleeding.

Well be sure to PM a cl-"asus guy", cl-albert was very helpful to me on my recent RMA to Calif. repair station; that went very well. It took awhile in my case as the problem I experience did not duplicate itself at the repair station. Finally after about a week they were able to duplicate the issues, and made the repairs. So not all RMA's go bad. Do Contact a cl- for assistance. Good luck
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro