cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus 787direct cu and soundblaster z in linux

mc141
Level 7
in using fedora Linux since its the first Linux i could get to function on my core2 mac book back in the day. does any one know how to get an asus 7870 directcu and a soundblaster z to function in linux. the soundblaster shows up but has no sound. i have to keep the onboard audio to get sound and even then its not 5.1. and the alsa web page is no help.

as far as the video card i installed the amd proprietary drivers and get some kind of open cl(i think it was the error) error when i try to run a steam game. also i still also seem to have a poor refresh rate and get errors trying to do a dual non mirrored display setup.

p.s even though i used Linux for a while i rarely booted into it. but now that windows is getting unusable and buggy as hell on my kids Sony vio laptop(pre installed. my wife got it against my strict advice/instructions. wouldn't accept 6 GB was more than enough for 7 yr old. had to have the 8gb which other than windows 7 on the 6gb model was the 0NLY difference) im trying to move toward Linux. i tried react os and its no where near usable yet
7 REPLIES 7

map01ch
Level 7
Have you tried to reinstall the VGA driver? By the way, what 's ur full spec for the machine?

mc141
Level 7
maximus v formula
intell 250 gb ssd
16 crucial balistics ddr3
sound blaster z
asus 7870 pcie 3.0
core i7 3770k
and 2 older hdds
and an antec closed loop 120mm radaitor(was supposed to be for my maximus ii formula with qx9650 mid tower setup but the dam thing was missing the socket 775 adapter that it clearly stated it was included on the box.)
windows 7 pro
fedora linux 18 running kde plasma

yest i did re install. in fact started with fedora 18 gnome desktop but got tired of there new GUI so i reformatted it to kde. i had spent hrs tweaking it so i wanted to start over fresh with the final tweaks and because when i installed xbmc it screwed up my log in and i couldn't get back on.

map01ch
Level 7
So it works after you re install or not?

mc141
Level 7
nopoe same issues still get realy bad 1080 refresh rates on youtube and still getting errors when i launch steam and the games wont load after giving an error . i did another reinstall this time using "fedora utils" that was sugested in another forum website to install amd drivers and steam. but i still get the same opengl errors

map01ch
Level 7
Ok, let in touch with my source again.....

map01ch
Level 7
Hey, mc141, my source say it will not support Linux driver. You also can refer to AMD website

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Sorry can not help much there.

There is currently no Linux support for the Blaster Z series cards and actually the Recon3D cards both using the ca0132 sound processor (Soundcore3D).

There is a developer currently trying to work on this via the ca0132 portion of the snd-hda-intel kernel driver however he is missing information that he needs to complete the driver which can only be ascertained by Creative Labs.
The problem is Creative continues to ignore their customers that have been requesting a driver for Linux just for basic sound, in some cases it's been over a year for the Recon3D owners.

While maybe Creative Labs doesn't want to be bothered with writing one even though would probably take them less than a few days the very least they can do is send the required information needed to the open source developer(s) so he himself can complete the ca0132 driver in the snd-hda-intel driver.

With that said it seems that Creative Labs now does not want to even acknowledge there is no Linux support let alone address it. I and others very involved on getting this issue resolved have been hitting a wall no matter whom is contacted at Creative Labs. Not even a single response saying they refuse to help it's pretty much like trying to start a conversation with a corpse.