cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth Z77 - cannot shut down

Motherboarder
Level 7
I'm having the exact same problem as in this thread, but after posting there, I was directed to open a new thread.

All suggestions there didn't help me. Not solved. ASUS Sabertooth Z77, PSU is a "Super Flower SF-500P14FG, 500Watt, 80Plus Platinum, Fanless", Operating System is Windows Server 2008 (not R2) Enterprise x64. I know the OS is not officially supported (no USB3 driver) but it's Vista generation, so not too old and I don't have any other/newer Server license. No Java installed. Restart works without problems. Shutdown goes black screen, but doesn't turn off. I'm not 100% sure, but I think initially shutdown was working. Not sure what I changed since then. I did install the Thermal Radar tool, but no other tools, not even the Intel Fast Response/Rapid Start/whatever things. I upgraded to latest available BIOS (should I try an older one again?).

CMOS reset does NOT fix problem.

Any suggestions? I have full electronics equipment if you want me to measure something. How should the PSU be directed to power off? I need to know if the PSU (it is new) is faulty or the motherboard or if it's a configuration problem.

I can't have this server offline for RMA for some days, especially if I don't know if it's really broken or not.
11 REPLIES 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate pleased you have your own thread. Means your specific issue is solved and someone who searches the web with the same problem will be helped.

If you have another PSU to test please swap out your Super Flower one and see how that goes.

Could you please list all your hard ware used, include all items that are connected to the system (usb or otherwise)
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

You mean with "is solved" probably "will get solved", right? So yes, here we go.

I really didn't want to remove the PSU. I don't have any spare ones lying around and the server is hosting about 10 Internet sites and serving as a domain controller, so any downtime is bad. Also it's almost running permanently, so shutting it down is a minor issue. But as I want this fixed, I took the effort to take it apart again.

As I don't have spare PSUs (only old ones) I took apart my working client machine, which had the PSU Enermax MODU87+ 900W. It took me a few hours to take it out (connector is under the CPU cooler) and that stuff, but anyway, I tried. Same problem there. So the PSU is not the reason for this shutdown problem, although I hoped it was, because I don't like that Flower PSU (it had some mechanical issues).

All hardware I use: almost nothing, this is a server. Here's the complete list:

• Memory 32GB (4x8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V)
  • CPU Intel Core i7 3770K BOX, 3.5GHz, LGA1155, 4C/8T, unlocked, with included original cooler (BX80637I73770K)
  • case is a Compucase S4UT6, 19", 4U/Tower server rack, which includes some ventilators and stuff

externally connected:

No other USB devices. Any further ideas?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Mate I would suggest you go back to the BIOS version that worked for you and the motherboard.

This is the third motherboard, all three are different models that has the same problem - all in the same week too. Wonder if Windows did an update across platforms that might have caused this.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Motherboarder
Level 7
Ok, I tried BIOS flashing. I was on 1908 (03/14/2013) and returned back to 1708 (11/09/2012) which I had when I bought it - at least I think so, because I remember the last two digits didn't change when upgrading.

This didn't help, so I upgraded again to the newest version.

I also uninstalled the non-working driver for the Intel USB3 eXtensible Host Controller and disabled "the device." This also didn't help.

One clarification on what exactly happens. After shutdown, the screen turns black. Then the harddisks turn off and maybe other parts as well. But the case fans (not connected to motherboard) continue and also the CPU fan. Although the screen is black, there is a blinking cursor in the top left edge (a blinking underscore). So the CPU is still running. Maybe something with sleep states or so.

BIOS settings are all on default except Full Screen Logo=Disabled and Setup Mode=Advanced Mode.

Any further ideas? I have electronic equipment (up 20 MHz) if you want me to measure anything. Of course, as you thought out loud, it could be a Microsoft update. But that's very hard to tell, as we cannot easily rollback.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The blinking underscore means your system is trying to boot up again and is not progressing past a particular loop.

See if you can get your hands on a PCI diagnostic card. Can not recall if the Sabertooth has a LED q-code poster or not.

They cost less than $10 and will identify where your system is at the point of stall.

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Post-Board-Diagnostic-Analyzer/dp/B005EJMO56/ref=pd_sim_e_4

One last question and this is simply for my own information as I have a large number of my builds used as servers. Why do you want or rather need to power off so often for this to be a problem? Some of my servers have not been powered down in six months now. Just interested that is all.

So you're saying the system tries to boot, but can't, probably because it's being shut down? Remember that Restart works without problems.

I don't have such a diagnostic card and the link you point me to shows a PCI card, but the Sabertooth Z77 has no PCI slots, only PCIe. No, the Sabertooth Z77 doesn't have a q-code display (my main client computer has it; it's a ROG). I might order such a diagnostic card, but it might take weeks and I didn't find any PCIe ones yet (only Mini PCIe for Notebooks). Let me know if you find a link and you still think I need it to debug. The Sabertooth Z77 has LED indicators that show where the problem is. If the RAM has a problem, then the RAM LED lights up, etc. Please have a look at the manual, chapter 2.2.7, page 2-16 in the English version.

I looked at the LEDs and there was no difference when shutting down. All lights were off (DRAM, CPU, BOOT_DEVICE, VGA), only the main one was in this greenish yellow (didn't change color when shutting down) indicating all "no problem". After cutting the power, some do quickly light up and also some light up quickly during POS before turning off.

I agree it's not a very important problem, especially for a server that should run permanently. I don't want to turn it off all the time. But I do want it fixed. Why? For these three reasons:

• This is a new build and I do want that everything works. If I have to exchange it in three years, because I want to use it as desktop computer then, the warranty is over.
  • If this is broken, what else? Maybe there are more hidden problems.
  • My last server that this replaces ran for many years without issues. It was a Pentium 4 based machine, so very old. Suddenly, after 2-3 days, I got a black screen. I thought of APT and stuff (it's running a webserver) but couldn't find anything. So I replaced it with an identical machine I had lying around and threw away the old one. Suddenly this replacement machine had the same symptoms. Black screen after 2-3 days running. So it can't be that this replacement machine has the same hardware problem without malware (I only took over the harddisks). But I think the reason was that the webserver was just getting increased traffic causing more CPU power and the CPU had only a small passive cooler so it turned off due to overheat. The moment I found that out it was too late, I assume the CPU died, so I had to throw it away too any buy this new setup. I'm afraid that I get black screens again and do not know where they come from - just a power outage, a boot after reinstall, etc. Turning it off should simply work.

So essentially you're saying you can't help any further. Did I understand this correctly?

Motherboarder wrote:
So you're saying the system tries to boot, but can't, probably because it's being shut down? Remember that Restart works without problems. I am trying to find out why and what is going on, while not being near the system myself. It is pretty difficult to do any kind of diagnostics from a distance but we try. And what I described is a possible cause. The flashing cursor that is what is the curve ball here.

I don't have such a diagnostic card and the link you point me to shows a PCI card, but the Sabertooth Z77 has no PCI slots, only PCIe. No, the Sabertooth Z77 doesn't have a q-code display (my main client computer has it; it's a ROG). Any diagnostic card, PCI or PCIe will work on that board my friend you simply put it in the PCIe slot and it works. Amazon or ebay will have one that can ship to Switzerland. Not difficult to search for one online honest. 🙂

So essentially you're saying you can't help any further. Did I understand this correctly?

And finally no you have not understood me correctly. I am not one to give up easily and nor are you I am sure.

If as you suggest there is no problem with the hardware, the LED lights then the problem has to be else where yes. And what is left? Software and OS. What are you doing to ensure that your server software and OS are not the contributing factors to this? I am asking to try and fill in some blanks and maybe that way find out what causes this and therefore how to fix this issue.

I would still get the diagnostic card, it is a very handy tool for anyone who builds systems. Not all board have the built in poster. Use the following search terms in Amazon "motherboard diagnostic tool"

jojo2013
Level 7
Did you test the shutdown in safemode?

Motherboarder
Level 7
I know it's difficult to "debug" from a distance. So I do understand your problems to help me and I'm thankful for any help.

You say "Any diagnostic card, PCI or PCIe will work on that board...". There are no PCIe diagnostic cards as far as I can tell (only Mini PCIe for laptops or PCI or for parallel port), so you're saying that PCI cards work in PCIe slots? To my understanding PCI and PCIe slots and cards are completely different (mechanical and electrical). Why do you say that should work? Most of these cards do ship international directly from China without problems, but I've never seen one that explicitly says "compatible with PCIe slot". Let me know if you see any.

No, I can't rule out software of course. And I haven't tried safe mode yet. And I haven't tried uninstalling the ASUS fan tool program. I've ordered and already paid two new harddisks (2 x 1TB Crucial m500) and as soon as I get them (currently not available for some reason) I'll try again with a fresh installation of different OSs on them to see if that helps.