cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G74sx Pink Pixelated Screen Issue

Cyan_The_Red
Level 7
Hey all!
So I've been the rather content owner of a refurbished ASUS G74 for about a year now, and haven't had much by way of issues. Unfortunately, having just gotten back from a trip in which I toted the laptop around rather a lot, now whenever I boot up my laptop the screen is weird shades of pink, green, blue, and everything is a weird kind of antialiased pixelated type of thing. I've attached pictures so you can get a better idea.

Trawling this forum seem to suggest that this is a graphics card driver issue (I hope it is, because I'd hate to have to bunk my beloved laptop and I'm not sure about its warranty) but I installed the latest NVIDIA GeFORCE 560M driver (314.22) and that hasn't seem to have done anything.

I'd greatly appreciate your help on this matter!
11 REPLIES 11

dstrakele
Level 14
Try connecting your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV. If the external monitor doesn't display the video issues, it's likely the LVDS cable connection is loose. It's likely it got jarred loose in your travels and would explain why the video driver update failed to resolve this problem.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Connecting the laptop to an external monitor reveals that, indeed, it seems to be that the LVDS cable connection has come loose. The image on the monitor is as clear as day.
How do I go about fixing this problem?

dstrakele
Level 14
You, ASUS, or a 3rd party computer repair person needs to open the laptop and secure properly secure the LVDS cable to the motherboard and/or laptop display. A G74SX disassembly YouTube video should help guide you if you attempt the fix yourself.

If you ever slowly removed the VGA cable from a desktop computer, you'd see similar video effects on the monitor before the connector came completely off.

Some have reported resolving (probably temporarily) the poor connection by pressing on the bezel of the display or deck of the laptop.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thank you very much! I'm going to wait a bit until I can talk to someone to help me open up my laptop. The ScreenSurgeons replacement tutorial seems to be a good bet for reference. Until then, I have an auxiliary laptop I can use until then.

Again, thank you so much for your help!

Pitcher1
Level 9
i sugeest you send to asus service center to repair if you are IW, btw if OOW, you can try to fix by youself, but you must be disassemblying, also you can bring 3th repair center to repair.

I had to replace the screen on my G73jh last year. I did it myself because, a: It was out of warranty, and b: I was afraid to let the bozos in a repair center make things even worse.

I had the use of a visor magnifying glasses, which helped me see everything very clearly as I worked.

I had a sheet of paper where I would scotch tape the teeny tiny screws with a note about where each grouping came from. It was in chronological order as I worked, so it would help me replace the screws when I reversed the process.

I was able to find a good video of my lappy's screen replacement steps.

Undoing the LVDS cable and redoing was a part of the process, and it wasn't as bad as replacing the screen.

Everything went back together with no extra screws left over, and everything looking like new.

The replacement screen works great and has a 3 yr. warranty.

I never did any kind of laptop repair previous to this one, so if I can manage it, anyone can. Assuming you have the use of both hands, and good eyesight, along with good understanding of following directions. :cool:
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Have same problem since last night, 3 months since I bought new ROG G751JT, it has developed "pink screen" with visible shadow of previously opened pages, web sites in the background, any work is very hard. When connected it over HDMI cable to TV set, picture is normal, no system restore helped.

Ghadames wrote:
Have same problem since last night, 3 months since I bought new ROG G751JT, it has developed "pink screen" with visible shadow of previously opened pages, web sites in the background, any work is very hard. When connected it over HDMI cable to TV set, picture is normal, no system restore helped.

I have exactly the same problem you had since yesterday. How did you solve the problem?

I own / run a small computer repair shop in my town.

This is a old thread but the last 2 posters having issues. This can either be the cable that connects the LCD to the laptop or the LCD it's self. Best way of testing is as they said above, connect it to a external monitor. If you don't see the pink/pixel screen it's the cable or LCD. If you see that on the external monitor it's your graphics card. The cable can go bad because it goes through the hinge area and gets twisted every time you open or close the laptop lid, which causes wear on the cable. I've seen plenty of bad LCD's do that kind of image also though.
Asus G73M (Used to be G73SW-BST6 now renamed to M for the Muratus edition)

• Intel Core i7-2630QM
  • 1080p (1920x1080) LCD (upgraded)
  • Samsung pm830 256GB SSD
  • Sansung 750GB 7200rmp 2nd HD
  • Bluetooth ( added )
  • Blu-ray/DVD ( upgraded )
  • Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Mods: