cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74sx-a1 Throttle Issue

Jinky
Level 7
So I have the laptop mentioned and I came across a link where Asus mentioned fixing the issue for all laptops effected by the throttling. I called support and I was told my laptop was not covered by this. I have been using ThrottleStop since I bought it and every update possible but still have the issue. Anything I can do hear or just not buy another Asus?
4 REPLIES 4

dstrakele
Level 14
ThrottleStop should be able to handle the CPU throttling. It's worked for many. I'm thinking you may be experiencing some other issue, such as DPC Latency, that appears like CPU Throttling to you. Describe your issue in more detail.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ThrottleStop does correct the issue but I do not enjoy using it as a fix. I was hoping for a BIOS update or any other news from Asus on a permanent solution to the issue without resorting to a 3rd party utility.

dstrakele
Level 14
The odds are nonexistent any future BIOS updates will be released by ASUS for the legacy G74SX.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and... contains a link to an UNOFFICIAL modified G74SX BIOS (essentially also 3rd Party software) for the G74SX that corrects the CPU Throttling issue. Flashing it will void your ASUS Warranty. If you read the entire thread you will see some users reported success while others bricked their laptops.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Jinky
Level 7
I know of the "unofficial" fix but like you said, that would void the warranty. I would think the folks over at Asus would be willing to help since they admitted the issue and had some people send their laptops in. Anyone from Asus care to comment on this?