cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS UEFI vBIOS tool for GTX 600 series cards! It's Here!

X-ROG
Level 15
Hi Everyone,

Here is the tool link. Please search for your model from the list and then click on BIOS.

http://support.asus.com/download/ModelList.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=GTX&type=1

This bit is critical:
* You will be UNABLE to flash back to the original legacy-only BIOS. HOWEVER, the new GOP UEFI BIOS is actually a Hybrid BIOS. It includes the legacy one as well as the UEFI one. But...
* We are only able to qualify its use ASUS motherboards: that includes those with UEFI BIOS' and those with older legacy BIOS' (we've checked on boards up to ~4 years ago). Other motherboards might work with our UEFI graphics cards but we cannot officially endorse compatibility as we don't have access to all BIOS and board revisions. The software checks if your motherboard is compatible.
* (If you intend to sell-on your card to fund a future upgrade, since you can't flash back, remember this decision affects the next person you sell to)

FAQ:

Do you need this GOP UEFI update?
If you want to use Win 8 Fast Boot, then yet, otherwise no. Do not upgrade if you don't need to. (If it works, don't fix it )

What factors do you need to get Win 8 Fast Boot running?
Only these motherboards listed below support Win 8 Fast Boot, due to a major, ground-up re-write to make the UEFI spec compatible with the Win function (this doesn't just affect ASUS motherboards FYI).

- All Intel 7 Series
- Upcoming Intel 8 Series
- Intel X79 Series updated to Win8 BIOS (3xxx)
- Intel H61 Series R2.0 or later
- All AMD R2.0 Series or later

THE SOFTWARE WILL CHECK IF YOUR BOARD IS COMPATIBLE.

Despite others being 'UEFI' boards (P67, Z68 etc) they are not compatible with Win 8 Fast Boot even after you update to GOP UEFI on your graphics card.

So, it's a Hybrid BIOS? Does that mean if I plan to upgrade my motherboard and OS to Win 8 later I can still update my GPU BIOS now?
As long as you own an ASUS board, sure. Upgrading the GPU now in preparation will still allow it to fall-back to legacy mode on your ASUS motherboard for the time being. You should see no change in the way it functions or performs. We still encourage the 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' though.

You will need:

Windows 8
UEFI compatible motherboard
GTX 600 or Radeon 7000 series graphics card
NOT OVERCLOCKED SYSTEM - DON'T RISK IT! Take normal BIOS flashing precautions.
If you run an CrossFire/SLI system, our advise is that you install 1 card at a time for this process.

Thanks for your patience everyone!
193 REPLIES 193

apatch
Level 7
At last, thank you for this update.

My mainboard is ASrock Z68E4G3 with 2.31 beta UEFI (not officially supported), I understand that it wasn't tested with my Asus GTX670 DCII TOP card, "THE SOFTWARE WILL CHECK IF YOUR BOARD IS COMPATIBLE" it's Z68 board and I only want to know if it allow me to flash this new GPU UEFI or I have to use another ASrock H77 Pro4-M board to do this.

I'm using now MSI modified Kepler UEFI, which of course is not supported also but it works as it should in Win8 with my ASrock Z68E4G3 with 2.31 beta UEFI. Asking because first I must go back to official noraml GPU vbios and then to this Asus UEFI vbios, and it could be an extra hassle fo me, just to discover it will simply not let me go.

ArjenP
Level 7
Thx for the effort. Sadly it does not work with my Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 with bios L2.31A. I get the error: This MB does not support uefi.

Will it be possible to flash the vbios using another mobo (MSI Z68A-GD65 probably won't work either then, but its worth the try) and then put the card back in my Asrock? Or will I get soms sort of compatibility problem then?

Or is it possible to flash the vbios manually using nvflash?

Thx
Arjen

Just come to try it but it failed to obtain/download Vbios
I'm using a Rampage 4 formula, bios 4004 and the Geforce 670 DCU II graphic card. WIndows 8 Pro legit version is used.
The tool ask me to contact Asus 😞

Here is what the log says :

[80.04.19.00.AS02]
NewVersion = 80.04.5C.00.AS08
BuildDate = 09/19/12
Description = This is New VBIOS description. <80.04.5C.00.AS08>
Size = 162 KB
Priority = 1
Checksum = 21156557
UEFIsupport = 1
DriverVersion = 30623

[80.04.31.00.AS02]
NewVersion = 80.04.5C.00.AS08
BuildDate = 09/19/12
Description = This is New VBIOS description. <80.04.5C.00.AS08>
Size = 162 KB
Priority = 1
Checksum = 21156557
UEFIsupport = 1
DriverVersion = 30623

Edit : My bad ... I'd flash the 670 with TOP version for more performance. I do flash it to the normal version and the tool succeed in flash it correctly. 😉

Eliott wrote:
Just come to try it but it failed to obtain/download Vbios
I'm using a Rampage 4 formula + Geforce 670 DCU II graphic card.
Thee tool ask me to contact Asus 😞

same problem for GTX 690..... the motherboard is approved, but the GTX 690 does not ....
Core i7-3930K \ 16Gb de RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz \ Asus Rampage IV Extreme \ 2x SSD - Intel 520 240gb - RAID 0 \ Seagate 500 + 1000 + 2000 \ ASUS GTX 690 \ Corsair AX1200W \ Lian-Li Tyr PC-X2000 \ Nvidia Surround - 3X Apple LED Cinema Display 27' \ Bose Companion 5 \ SteelSeries Xai Mouse & Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition \ Windows 8 Pro - 64 bits

Yes, same thing also with me: I'm running Windows 8 Pro, Asus P8Z77-V Premium boar last Bios ver. 1908, only one card GTX 670 DC@ Top and when boot up computer the utility tool pop up and when I running to check the system it approved the MB but when it gets to the card 4 load beeps sound in my TV screen then a message saying that the vBios card is not able to update and a RED X on the cards icon shows. The computer is connect to the internet while all this is on test.
"I'm not an OCer just looking a good MENTOR". UyqtCojoXecQlo.". 😄

Hello, I have asus gtx 660 ti, and the new motherboard msi z77 mpower.
I can not install gop bios because the mainboard is not supported!:mad:
Possible that we can upgrade the video card, only having MB asus?
The old update was done without any problems ..
How should I do?
Forced to look for asus MB compatible to do the update!?
I do not deny being disappointed ...
Best regards
pikka68

Dear Asus, please never ever change the login method from nickname to email. People don't keep this information.

That said, the UEFI tool says my mainboard doesn't support UEFI.
It is a ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4 and I'm running Win 8 installed in EFI mode.

I'm glad the tool has been released though, now it just needs to work on people's machines 🙂

Well sadly my experience with this tool is all F...... up. I had Windows 8 install, install this marvelous tool ran the round time check it mark my MB with a green asterisk then it stay for almost 20 min. detecting my card finally a message can up saying server didn't detected card. and when I decide to shut down and tray the other card, problem raised couldn't get to my windows not even with the card that I didn't flash. change bios chip cause I have a spare one and no glory, finally I realize that neither of my card are not recoqinize by the PCI-e slots. In other words I install any card in the PCI-e slot and when I go to BIOS it don't show no card been install not even the one that I didn't touch. I think this tool mess up my MB PCI-e bus some how. I have done clear the CMOS by taking off the battery and leaving it out for 15min., change Bios chip, reaseting the bios by different ways and no glory. Now I going to find me a 20lbs sledgehammer and see if I can FIX this board, then send it back to ASUS for a RMA
"I'm not an OCer just looking a good MENTOR". UyqtCojoXecQlo.". 😄

The Veterant wrote:
Well sadly my experience with this tool is all F...... up. I had Windows 8 install, install this marvelous tool ran the round time check it mark my MB with a green asterisk then it stay for almost 20 min. detecting my card finally a message can up saying server didn't detected card. and when I decide to shut down and tray the other card, problem raised couldn't get to my windows not even with the card that I didn't flash. change bios chip cause I have a spare one and no glory, finally I realize that neither of my card are not recoqinize by the PCI-e slots. In other words I install any card in the PCI-e slot and when I go to BIOS it don't show no card been install not even the one that I didn't touch. I think this tool mess up my MB PCI-e bus some how. I have done clear the CMOS by taking off the battery and leaving it out for 15min., change Bios chip, reaseting the bios by different ways and no glory. Now I going to find me a 20lbs sledgehammer and see if I can FIX this board, then send it back to ASUS for a RMA

This tool has nothing to do with the PCIe bus. What you are saying is technically impossible. What seems to have happened is that your firmware on the card is corrupted. Did you try to flash your cards while overclocking?

Anyhow you can only try one thing to recover from this, find a working card, install it on the first slot and install one of your bricked cards on another. Boot and try reflashing the bricked card. You may have to use nvflash to flash the original firmware in order to restore it.
If the tools don't see the bricked card even in this way or you you're unable to follow this procedure for any reason, you'll have to RMA the cards.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.