cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS UEFI vBIOS tool for Radeon 7000 series cards! It's Here!

X-ROG
Level 15
Hi Everyone,

The tool is finally here. Please find your Radeon card from this link: http://support.asus.com/download/ModelList.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=HD&type=1

This bit is critical:
* You will be UNABLE to flash back to the original legacy-only BIOS. HOWEVER, the new GOP UEFI BIOS is actually a Hybrid BIOS. It includes the legacy one as well as the UEFI one. But...
* We are only able to qualify its use ASUS motherboards: that includes those with UEFI BIOS' and those with older legacy BIOS' (we've checked on boards up to ~4 years ago). Other motherboards might work with our UEFI graphics cards but we cannot officially endorse compatibility as we don't have access to all BIOS and board revisions. The software checks if your motherboard is compatible.
* (If you intend to sell-on your card to fund a future upgrade, since you can't flash back, remember this decision affects the next person you sell to)

FAQ:

Do you need this GOP UEFI update?
If you want to use Win 8 Fast Boot, then yet, otherwise no. Do not upgrade if you don't need to. (If it works, don't fix it )

What factors do you need to get Win 8 Fast Boot running?
Only these motherboards listed below support Win 8 Fast Boot, due to a major, ground-up re-write to make the UEFI spec compatible with the Win function (this doesn't just affect ASUS motherboards FYI).

- All Intel 7 Series
- Upcoming Intel 8 Series
- Intel X79 Series updated to Win8 BIOS (3xxx)
- Intel H61 Series R2.0 or later
- All AMD R2.0 Series or later

THE SOFTWARE WILL CHECK IF YOUR BOARD IS COMPATIBLE.

Despite others being 'UEFI' boards (P67, Z68 etc) they are not compatible with Win 8 Fast Boot even after you update to GOP UEFI on your graphics card.

So, it's a Hybrid BIOS? Does that mean if I plan to upgrade my motherboard and OS to Win 8 later I can still update my GPU BIOS now?
As long as you own an ASUS board, sure. Upgrading the GPU now in preparation will still allow it to fall-back to legacy mode on your ASUS motherboard for the time being. You should see no change in the way it functions or performs. We still encourage the 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' though.

You will need:

Windows 8
UEFI compatible motherboard
GTX 600 or Radeon 7000 series graphics card
NOT OVERCLOCKED SYSTEM - DON'T RISK IT! Take normal BIOS flashing precautions.
If you run an CrossFire/SLI system, our advise is that you install 1 card at a time for this process.

Thanks for your patience everyone!
71 REPLIES 71

joskam
Level 7
Hi,

Great that the vBIOS tool is here! Unfortunately, it says my card is not supported. When I start the tool, it takes a while to present the GUI. After I press "Start" it checks the motherboard, which gets a green checkmark (Maximus V GENE). Then it connects to a server, and a red cross appears over the icon of a graphics card. The tool also displays: "the graphic card does not support UEFI. Please contact with ASUSTek.".

That is unfortunate, since the card is an Asus HD7870-DC2. I normally run with two monitors attached, one connected to the built-in Intel module and the other connected to the 7870. After it didn't work, I turned off the LucidLogix option in the BIOS and only used the 7870. It still didn't work.

What could be the problem?

[edit: weird, when I click "Cancel" when the tool tells me that it is going to check with the server, I get this result:

]

[edit2: Hmm, the tool tries to download a file from liveupdate01.asus.com over HTTP:

GET /pub/ASUS/LiveUpdate/Release/AMD/6818/681842f.txt HTTP/1.1

But that file doesn't exist, because liveupdate01.asus.com replies:

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

I think (hope 🙂 ) that means having just the tool isn't enough, and that we have to wait for the files to appear on the regular server...
]

Regards,

Jurjen

I'll try with my 7870 DC2 later today. Let's see what's the result!

antdes45
Level 7
Exactly the same problem unfortunately.

SentineL_VDXi
Level 7
So, this means that If I have a Maximus IV Extreme (P67), It won't make any change for me?

Win 8 Fast Boot won't work for me?
ASUS Products: Maximus X Formula - RT-AC87U/AC88U

DummyPLUG
Level 10
Still waiting for the Bios file online

czeslaw
Level 7
Can anyone post a working link ? please 😞
M7H / Matrix 7970 P (flashed to R9 280x Matrix P) + 2 x DELL U2713HM / i7 4790k + h100i push&pull / 3 x Kingston 3k SSD 120GB / 1 x Corsair ForceGT 120GB / TridentX 2400 2x8gb / Corsair Graphite 600t case + AX1200i + NZXT IU01 + Bitfenix USB3.0 internal adapter

I can't download the tool "Sorry, the shared page you requested was not found.(code:205)" whenever I'm clicking the link.. is someone has the software and upload it and post the link. I need this tool so bad for my new ROG build PC.

Give me a couple of hours, I'll start my PC remotely and upload it to dropbox or somewhere to link it here.

UPDATE: Here's my Dropbox Link for all of you with the same file mentioned, which I hopefully get it before the original link broke up: http://db.tt/sCmBEYTF
ASUS Products: Maximus X Formula - RT-AC87U/AC88U

kimmoro
Level 7
This tool is pretty much useless. "MB doesn't support UEFI". That's great and all, except my last GPU was MSI GTX660 with hybrid bios and had Windows 8 (ultra) fast boot enabled. MB is Asrock Z77 extreme4-m. Why not just release the hybrid bios without using "great" tools like this?

edit: Not that it matters since I can't even get past the MB part, but GPU is HD7870-DC2-V2