cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Upgrading To A Higher Resolution LCD Display

brievolz84
Level 7
Currently my original LCD display on the G75VW-TS71 is on the frits (look at the pic below). After doing some troubleshooting I have come to the conclusion it's the LCD display and not the motherboard or the cable. According to this website, there are 2 different sets of displays that I can get. 1 set is my original native resolution of 1600x900 and the other is 1920x1080. Both sets have either matte or glossy. So what I'm wondering is since all 4 of these displays are made for the G75VW and I have a Geforce 660m, is it possible to upgrade to the 1920x1080 display and everything will work as it should or will there be image distortion and resolution problems?

Asus G75VW-TS71:
Intel Core i7 3610QM
NVIDIA GTX660M
12GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive 5400rpm
6x Blu-Ray reader/DVD R/RW

Currently:
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

"The unwanting soul sees whats hidden; the ever-wanting soul only sees what it wants" --Lao Tzu Tao de Chang
10 REPLIES 10

Pitcher1
Level 9
asus have not guarantee it is able to use when you plug in laptop.

Pitcher@asus wrote:
asus have not guarantee it is able to use when you plug in laptop.

this sentence is of zero help. at least ask him if he has a warranty still. how did he troubleshoot to come to the conclusion that screen is shot? or at least point him to a authorized dealer / repair service center near northen virginia....

i take it your warranty period is over? or i suspect the service center quote u a crazy price. make absolutely sure its the screen's problem.
yes it will work. specifically the g75 uses the Chi Mei 173HGE or N173HGE-L11.
the resolution will be better than your stock 1600. imho a gaming laptop should not use anything less than 1920...
matte or clear is your choice. personally i prefer clear. vibrant colours.
replacing screen is not hard if you do your homework. i.e look at some teardown guide. that particular video on the screen website is helpful but not exact as it uses another model.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA his one can be helpful.
and also look at this page http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20590-Asus-G55-ang-G75-disassembly-teardown

brievolz84
Level 7
Short of taking a multimeter to the physical connections on the LCD display assembly and the MB (because I don't own a multimeter yet), I did everything logical to isolate and diagnosis the problem. What I did was first see if an external display showed the same vertical problem. I connected both the VGA and HDMI connections to said external display and the result was no lines. Unless in mistaken, that should rule out the GPU/MB our at least those physical connections. I then powered down and took out the battery, and started to disassemble the display. I get to the connection that goes from the display to the MB and disconnected it then reconnected it. I put everything back together and powered up the computer. The lines are still there. This leads me to believe that it's either a sensor on the LCD display or one of the connections from the LCD display to the MB.

As for the warranty, yup I got this laptop a little under a year ago so both the original and extended warranty had expired. If the steps I took to troubleshoot this problem are sound and I didn't overlook anything, I feel I can easily fix this problem myself. Since my original display is 1600x900, I figured I might s well spend the extra $10 and get a glossy 1920x1080 display Assembly. I just don't want to run into any snags that I might not be able to fix myself.

Perhaps a little history may help as well. I had a similar problem with the display, I had a blue hue/distortion. Luckily out was still under warranty and Asus did fix it.

I apologize for any spelling errors because I'm posting this from my phone
Asus G75VW-TS71:
Intel Core i7 3610QM
NVIDIA GTX660M
12GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive 5400rpm

Currently:
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

"The unwanting soul sees whats hidden; the ever-wanting soul only sees what it wants" --Lao Tzu Tao de Chang

Tiennn
Level 7
If you purchased the laptop a little under a year ago, wouldn't there still be a warranty on it? All of our notebooks are given at least one year. You should definitely make sure because it is something that we can take care of for you. The issue might actually be due to the connection cable and not the display. If you can get a hold of one, grab a DMM and test the connections and cable to be sure.

In the end, if you are comfortable and don't mind spending the money, it's definitely worth a shot; especially if your warranty is, indeed, expired. What Pitcher meant up there is that we cannot guarantee that it'll work, though.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Looking for driver support? http://support.asus.com/ServiceHome.aspx?SLanguage=en
North American service: http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9
Not in the US? http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

direct contact: cl-tien@asus.com

brievolz84
Level 7
By a little less than a year ago, I mean like May 18th. I don't see spending more than 100 dollars on something I can confidently do on my own. I may take your advice and get a digital multimeter and see if it is actually the LCD display or the cable/MB
Asus G75VW-TS71:
Intel Core i7 3610QM
NVIDIA GTX660M
12GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive 5400rpm

Currently:
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

brievolz84 wrote:
By a little less than a year ago, I mean like May 18th. I don't see spending more than 100 dollars on something I can confidently do on my own. I may take your advice and get a digital multimeter and see if it is actually the LCD display or the cable/MB

I think you mean a little over a year ago.

brievolz84
Level 7
Yeah but the problem started like the day that it the warranty ended.

That's besides the point, I was inquiring if what I want to do is possible
Asus G75VW-TS71:
Intel Core i7 3610QM
NVIDIA GTX660M
12GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive 5400rpm

Currently:
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

brievolz84
Level 7
UPDATE

I decided and got the glossy 1920x1080 LCD screen. I was able to take the old screen out and put the new one in with little fuss. Everything works great and there's a noticeable difference between the 1600x900 matte display and the 1920x1080 glossy.

So to reiterate, if you want to upgrade your G75VW screen resolution, it's totally possible. Just for reference, I have a G75VW-TS71 and it worked for that model. I don't know if it would work with yours so if you do decide proceed with caution.
Asus G75VW-TS71:
Intel Core i7 3610QM
NVIDIA GTX660M
12GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive 5400rpm

Currently:
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

SHADO
Level 9
Where's the "like" button? Congrats on your new display!
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)