cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW power brick blew, need assistance

Thach
Level 9
I have a G75VW-BHI7N07 and was watching a movie tonight when I heard a couple pops coming from the power brick. I noticed my screen went dim like it had been unplugged and saw that the green power indicator on the brick itself went out. I tried plugging it into a couple other places and finally came to the realization the the brick is merely a brick now. It wasn't hot or anything like that either. In fact, it was on a concrete floor in a A/C room. I did a little searching for a replacement and seems like the only only I could find were not the same Amps. Most were 7.9A output while the OEM brick reads 9.5A output. I just got this notebook less than 4 months ago too. The tricky part is that I am deployed right now so I'm not sure how easy it will be for me to do anything.

Could someone point me in the right direction for assistance or link me a good replacement that ships to APO addresses? Do warranties even cover power supplies? I've never had a issue like this before. Thanks for any assistance and help that can be provided.
17 REPLIES 17

dstrakele
Level 14
Sorry I'm unable to help you get another one, but the Power Adapter is covered by the ASUS Warranty.

How long have you owned the laptop? . I'd be tempted to contact your retailer and appeal to his Patriotism to ship you another power adapter.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thach
Level 9
I just got it from BestBuy this past Feb.

dstrakele
Level 14
Best Buy handles the Warranty work on the ASUS laptops they sell. Are you able to contact them?

I recommend you PM cl-Albert, the ASUS Customer Loyalty rep on this forum to see if he can offer any assistance. Unfortunately, his ability to help may be limited on the Best Buy laptops.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Enigma
Level 9
I experienced this issue awhile back (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30237-G75VW-Power-Brick-Cord-Went-Bad-Need-Advice) but I didnt hear any popping noises. It just went dead and I still dont know what the cause is. I eventually decided to buy a 3rd party brick (http://www.amazon.com/Hipower-Adapter-G75VW-BBK5-Notebook-Computers/dp/B008FQHE1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...), it's the only one I've found whose voltage/amps meets/exceeds the specs of ASUS's own bricks. And since the OEM brick is what went bad in the first place, I figured that maybe some of them may have a defect of some kind, hence the decision to buy elsewhere. I havent had any issues with my current brick thusfar, it doesnt overheat, the laptop's performance is normal, and the brick is sufficiently sized and weighted the way I expected it should be. And the price was reasonable, slightly less than what you'll pay to ASUS or elsewhere.

Hope this helps!
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".

Pitcher1
Level 9
if you want to order adapter, you can visit asus e-store to order adapter and battety, but are you sure laptop is normally?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Thach wrote:

Could someone point me in the right direction for assistance or link me a good replacement that ships to APO addresses? Do warranties even cover power supplies? I've never had a issue like this before. Thanks for any assistance and help that can be provided.

The AC adapter should have the same warranty as your notebook, so you should be able to get it replaced under warranty.
Check the ASUS U.S. and Canadian contact page here if you want to try to arrange this by chat, email, or phone and feel free to check with me if you run into any problems.

Yeah, hopefully only the AC adapter needs to be replaced and nothing else happened to the notebook.

Try to get your 180W ASUS AC adapter replaced under warranty to be safe. Not sure where you are located and if the U.S. ASUS eStore will ship overseas, but if you are interested in buying a spare ASUS 180w G75VW adapter (while waiting for your defective adapter to be replaced under warranty), check the U.S. and Canadian estore site here.

Thanks for the info guys. The notebook itself seems to be just fine. I unplugged it as soon as I heard the pops coming from the brick. It still powers up and runs normal. I'll go ahead and file a warranty claim or have my wife do it since she is in the states. Now sure if I'll have to send the old brick back before I get the new one or not. Unless I can get it shipped to Kuwait which is where I am.

xeromist
I know overseas mailing can take a while so if you can get access to one locally with the right voltage and barrel size but a bit less amperage you could use it to charge your laptop while it is *off*. Charging alone doesn't take as much juice as actually powering or powering + charging so if you have a brick that's just a bit short you would be OK for that. Just make sure to unplug it and run on battery before starting it up. You could easily pop a lesser brick if it's plugged in when you turn it on.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

To prevent premature failure always ensure the transformer lays face up and remains on a surface which will dissipate heat adequately.

many of the transformers I've taken apart after failing were the result of the thermal paste expanding and running resulting at either ending up on capacitors or on the transformer board itself shorting the pack.

I have not taken apart any Asus transformers however they all seem to have a very similar layout and use the same pastes.

Also constant heat cycling can cause stress in some soldering joints. but only if the joints were prepared poorly from factory.

at any rate the OP is undoubtedly under-warranty. return and rejoice.
I use to say ASUS like AZEUS because I thought their products were the Gods of electronics...