cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 Pro installation on G75VX with SSD

TheOrestes
Level 7
Hi,

I purchased Asus G75VX recently with 1TB HDD ( 5200 rpm ). I also purchased SSD ( Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB) separately. After going through various forum threads, it appears as though there is a way I can install Windows 8 on my newly bought SSD. But am confused as hell.

I came across this thread : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?31733-Clean-Windows-8-install-on-GPT-SSD-drive-%28G75VX%29

but here, user has specified about installing existing OEM version onto SSD.

I have Windows 8 Pro license. Laptop came with OEM version which is installed on HDD. I want to install my own copy of Windows 8 Pro on SSD. Am not bothered about OEM version. can this be done safely? Can anyone please point me to specific step by step guide for the same? This is my first time am mingling with SSD so any extra information on settings in BIOS etc will be really helpful. Also, after installing Windows 8 pro, can I make rescue disc out of new installation? or it can be created only from default version of windows? sorry if these questions are bit noob, but I have purchased laptop from US & now I am in India, so I just want to make sure everything goes safe with the transition.

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

rewben
Level 13
@TheOrestes, the safest way imo is to create a restore usb stick with the new asus factory image creation tool for g75vx, and you should leave the stock drive alone (you might need it if something is wrong), up until you think the system is stable enough.

for the guide, i have compiled a set of notes for this previously, notably this one (basically you just need a usb install stick for w8 pro that has a pid.txt that stores the legit key and put it in the right place).

also at the top of that thread, there are a number of links about clean install written by other friends here. it's good if you can take a look at those, too (there are some options in the bios settings that you need to adjust to allow custom installation).

good luck.

TheOrestes
Level 7
Hi rewben,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will go through those links & guidelines. Will try it out over the weekend & let you know the progress.

Cheers.