New ROGer Array

Can't update BIOS

Greetings,

I have a P8Z77-V PREMIUM Motherboard (SN on the board matches box and the board is defiantly a P8Z77-V PREMIUM)
    The BIOS (and all ASUS tools, utilities & software) claims that it is a P8Z77-V PRO and the SN listed is different than what is on the board.

I purchased the board as a discounted return (striped but damned cheep) so returning it to the retailer is not a favorable option.

I have tried every option listed in the user guide to flash/update the BIOS to the correct one with no success...

Win 7 (64) loaded and is completely updated without any problems. All of the products, software and upgrades from the ASUS disk also loaded without any problems.

I have not installed any of my PCIe cards (Video, sound, etc..) yet so I can not say how that will go. I wanted to get the motherboard and operating system squared away before any of that stuff went into the case.

Problems:

-When the motherboard is powered off with the on-board power button or the pin set it will not properly boot unless the power supply is turned off long enough for the motherboard to go dark. It was like this prior to installing the operating system and continues with the operating system installed. The system will reboot when requested to do so through the operating system. But if the operating system goes into hibernation or is requested to shut down the power supply must be turned off to achieve a boot to the BIOS or operating system. (most of the motherboard, CPU & disk drive power up but that is as far as it goes)

-Only one of the Intel LAN (RJ-45) ports work (User guide page 2-15 #3). #4 does not work and shows in hardware manager as having a problem either hardware or software. The P8Z77-V PRO only has one Intel LAN (RJ-45) port which may be the problem and leads me to fear that I am going to find that half of the PCIe slots will not work either.

-Can not flash/update proper BIOS to the motherboard.

I have no Idea how the wrong BIOS was put on the motherboard? How the BIOS and all ASUS utilities claim that this is a P8Z77-V PRO with a different SN? But I would be very grateful to be instructed on how to correct these problems.

Thank you very much for any and all assistance CBG

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH II EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 3960X
    Memory (part number)TXBD48G4000HC18FBK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970/960/950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Dimastech Easy XL...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic 1000 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Hi Coffee Bean Grinder

Weird about the BIOS for another board being on there...maybe a bios chip from another board was put in yours by mistake? ..maybe get a new BIOS chip? http://www.bios-chip24.com/epages/63...on=ViewProduct

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Show us a CPUz shot of the motherboard tab please.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

New ROGer Array

Thanks guys!

I am trying to research if the correct bios chip in on the board (winboard 25064BVAIG 1151) hard to read so the B could be an 8 and the last set is really hard to see xx51 or x51 is all I am certain of...

Here is the CPU-Z screenshot It shows the mainboard as a P8Z77-V PRO so I am attaching a pic of the motherboard that it actually got that information from ^^

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPU-Z pic.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	28016

Name:	MB pic.JPG 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	28015

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Your motherboard is the P8Z77-V PREMIUM because the P8Z77-V PRO doesn't have dual Gigabit LAN controllers.

New ROGer Array

Well here is where is sits.

The V PRO & V PREMIUM use the same bios chip (winbond W25Q64BVAIG) just different bios files.

To confirm that the bios chip was good (and to satisfy sick curiosity) I flashed it with the latest bios version for the V PRO.

It worked... bios version was successfully updated from version 1015 to version 2104...

Name:	CPU-Z revised pic.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	28021

It seems that the only thing keeping me from putting the proper (V PREMIUM) bios on my V PREMIUM motherboard is the fact that every method I can find to flash/update the bios is blocked by a fail-safe that confirms platform compatibility based on the the model name of the motherboard currently in the bios... not by the actual model of the motherboard...

So, unless someone can help me out with a way to "brute force" flash the bios or clear the cmos then clear the bios which should allow me to flash the proper bios file into the bios chip?

Short of scoring one of the a fore mentioned options from those of you smarter than me? I guess it is off to ebay to buy a bios chip with the proper motherboard bios loaded into it.

Again thank you for any and all help CBG

PS: Many thanks to Arne Saknussemm for getting me headed down the right path \o/

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Can the retailer you bought it from not get you the correct bios chip? I am not even sure the chips are interchangeable. Guess we are going to find out.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

Hmmmm I wonder Coffee Bean Grinder....when you say "tried everything in he manual"...the manual for that board doesn't mention BIOS Flashback until later not with the other methods......4.3.6 (page 4-14) can you just confirm that you've tried this too?

From the pic in the manual you have to rename the BIOS file Z77VD but that is not correct....rename it Z77VPR.CAP
    Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 10-16-2013 at 07:34 AM.

New ROGer Array

Problem solved...

Name:	CPU-Z finalpic.jpg 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	28038

The solution was (contrary to many posts on the perspective root of most usb thumb drives) to use a dos window and fdisk to format the usb thumb drive so that it no longer showed in "my computer" as the name of the manufacturer of the usb drive but simply volume x: (x = respective drive letter). Multiple formats via right click failed to reach the root of the usb drive.

Yes I can clearly state that the Z77-V ASUS motherboards use the same bios chip (as stated above) just different bios files.

Many thanks to Arne Saknussemm for keeping me on the correct path! He is very correct about the naming for the V PREMIUM of Z77VPR.CAP (It is only stated in the first page of chapter 3 in the user manual and is not included in any of the naming charts from ASUS). I read through to many threads accompanied with to many glasses of vodka last night. But my "hail marry" pass this morning and last try before ordering a new bios chip worked...

As I followed so many links down so many dead ends related to this very thing. I hope some of those pore souls find this thread and see that the simple solution to getting the Flash BIOS to work on some ASUS motherboards is to simply format the usb thumb drive from a dos environment!

Many thanks to all those who offered suggestions because ideas and solutions are not formed in a vacuum!

Sincerely CBG

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Bean Grinder View Post
    Problem solved...
    Cool bananas! good to hear

Yes BIOS flashback is often held in check by the USB pen not being properly formatted...proprietary stuff from the manufacturer stopping you getting to the root as it were.

If you open a command prompt as administrator and run diskpart you can format the pen drive properly too...

At command prompt type:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk n (where n is usb drive number)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign
    exit