cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideal storage configuration on MAXIMUS V EXTREME

rolfisch
Level 7
Hi all.
I am new in PC assembling (because i have not found a really good system in a shop)
Now i startet with mi first system an i would like to get some advice in how i should configure
my storage devices. I am a bit confused cause i dont know if it matters wich of the 6GB connector i use
for the system drive the Z77 one or the Asmedia one ??? Where do i connect the Raid-drive?? Should i use the slower
3GB connector for the DVD and the BlueRay writers?? So many questions....

On the Motherboard - ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME - I have the following connectors

2 pcs. Serial ATA 3.0GB/s connectors (7-pin SATA3G_1+2) on Intel Z77 (black)

2 pcs. Serial ATA 6.0GB/s connectors (7-pin SATA6G_1+2) on Intel Z77 (red)

4 pcs. Serial ATA 6.0GB/s connectors (7-pin SATA6G_E1+E2+E3+E4) on Asmedia (red)

And the drives i want to plug in are,

drive 1. (driveletter :Y ) Plextor DVD-writer PX-891SA

drive 2. (driveletter :Z ) Plextor Blu-Ray-writer PX-B950SA

drive 3. (driveletter :C ) SSD Samsung 840 Pro - 512GB

drive 4 + 5. (driveletter D ) 2 pcs (in Raid 1) 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 - 64MB - S-ATA 6Gbps

Can somebody advise me wich drive i should plug in wich connector to get the optimum
out of that Motherboard

Thanks for your help and let the good games roll.....

Roland
THERMALTAKE LEVEL 10 GT / 1300W SUPER FLOWER SF1300P14XE / ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME / INTEL i7 4770K / ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER i13 CO / 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT X 2400 / ASUS PHOEBUS / 512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO / 2x SAPPHIRE HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 VAPOR-X / HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS / PLEXTOR / WIN 7 ULTIMATE SP1

I LOVE: ASUS, THERMALTAKE, SAPPHIRE, SUPER FLOWER, ARCTIC COOLING, G.SKILL, SAMSUNG, OCZ
14 REPLIES 14

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, Roland.

Here's how I'd configure your drives.

Intel Z77 (Red)
drive 3. (driveletter :C ) SSD Samsung 840 Pro - 512GB

Intel Z77 (Black)
drive 4 + 5. (driveletter D ) 2 pcs (in Raid 1) 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 - 64MB - S-ATA 6Gbps

Asmedia (Red)
drive 1. (driveletter :Y ) Plextor DVD-writer PX-891SA
drive 2. (driveletter :Z ) Plextor Blu-Ray-writer PX-B950SA

Thanks a lot Chino for that quick reply.
Please, let me ask why you would put the Raid disks to the 3GB connector? Wouldnt it be faster tu put them on a 6GB connector?
Excuse me when i ask something silly but i am new to this and sometimes things in this business seems not to be that simple to understand.

And if i need later some other Harddrives can i just put them to the other Asmedia connectors?

Is it really that simple with SATA? I remember how complicated it was with EIDE and SCSI Systems there it was so importent to find the perfect controller and sequence for drives ... the bad old times...lol
THERMALTAKE LEVEL 10 GT / 1300W SUPER FLOWER SF1300P14XE / ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME / INTEL i7 4770K / ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER i13 CO / 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT X 2400 / ASUS PHOEBUS / 512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO / 2x SAPPHIRE HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 VAPOR-X / HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS / PLEXTOR / WIN 7 ULTIMATE SP1

I LOVE: ASUS, THERMALTAKE, SAPPHIRE, SUPER FLOWER, ARCTIC COOLING, G.SKILL, SAMSUNG, OCZ

Chino
Level 15
The native Intel SATA 3 ports (Red) are faster than the Asmedia SATA 3 (Black) ports. So the best choice for your SSD is to connect it to these ports. Despite how manufacturers like to market hard drives as SATA 3, they are not capable of saturating SATA 3. Not even having them in a RAID configuration do they go anywhere near to saturating a SATA 3. Only a SSD merits using the a SATA 3 port. So the obvious choice is to put the hard drives on the SATA 2 ports (Black). Since the Asmedia ports (Red) are slower, we tend to use them for backup drives or optical drives.

HiVizMan
Level 40
SSD (OS) drive on the Intel 6GB port

RAID (mechanical drives) Intel 3GB port.

Optical drives Asmedia.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks again to everybody for this information and advice. So i will configure them like this and i hope i will not get in trouble with the Raid otherwise this forum has to face my next question... lol

Have a nice weekend everybody! See you...

BandatBam
Level 7
Hello gentlemen,

Chino I am already reading all the beginner links you left in your posts. Thank you, very helpful.

However I'm still in a need some advice while I'm going through everything.

I am also preforming my first solo build on a gaming rig and was wondering which sata connectors to use, 3GB , 6GB ??? I will be using the
same mobo mentioned in this thread and I'm still not sure as to which RAID config to use, still reading different info
and trying to understand 100% before I power up my new build so please read below and let me know if it all sounds correct in order to
establish best performance as per my build specs;

On the Motherboard - ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME - I have the following connectors

2 pcs. Serial ATA 3.0GB/s connectors (7-pin SATA3G_1+2) on Intel Z77 (black)

2 pcs. Serial ATA 6.0GB/s connectors (7-pin SATA6G_1+2) on Intel Z77 (red)

4 pcs. Serial ATA 6.0GB/s connectors (7-pin SATA6G_E1+E2+E3+E4) on Asmedia (red)

And the drives i want to install/plug in are,

drive 1. ( :C Drive, Boot Drive, OS Win7 ) Muskin 240GB SSD > SATA6G_ connector 1 (red)

drive 2. ( 😄 Drive, Only for game, ArmA 3 + Mods & Misc.) WD Velociraptor 250GB > SATA6G_connector 2 (red)

drive 3. ( :E Drive, All other games only) Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm SATA_6Gb/s > connector E1 (red)

drive 4. ( :F Drive, Pictures, Videos, Documents, Not sure which RAID config yet?) Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm SATA_6Gb/s > connector E2 (red)

drive 5. ( :Y Drive) ASUS BW-12X Blu-ray Internal Burner Drive with Disc Encryption > connector E3 (red)

The rest of my new PC will include:

- i7-3770K
- ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME
- Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)
- Corsair H100i Cooler
- Corair AX-1200 PSU
- Geforce GTX 770 4GB Classified Sli
- At the moment I only have 1, 32" screen. Possibly 2 more in near future.

ALL THE MENTIONED HAS BEEN ASSEMBLED PRIMARILY FOR, ARMA 3 & DCS - WORLD

THANKS for you time & advice All!!!

{DMM}BandatBam

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, BandatBam! I'm glad that you found the guides useful. I can only take credit for the RAM guide of course since that's the only one that's mines. Most of the others were written by my good friend, HiVizMan. 😉

Before we start with the drive configurations, we must take note of something very important. RAID arrays can only be done on the Intel SATA ports. That means that we can only work with the two Intel SATA 2 ports (black) and two Intel SATA 3 ports (red) that are right beside them.

After looking over your configuration, I'd only make a few changes. The Mushkin would go into one of the Intel SATA 3 ports (red) and you can connect your Velociraptor to the remaining one. Then you can connect your 1TB and 2TB Seagate Barracudas to Intel SATA 2 ports (Black) that are right above. The leftover Blu Ray drive can go into any of the 4 remaining Asmedia SATA 3 ports (red).

Now when you decide on which drive to RAID (the 1TB or the 2TB), all you have to do is disconnect the one you're not RAIDing and connect it to one of the Asmedia ports. You can then connect the drive you want to RAID to the black ports.

Personally I like to have all my games on my SSD because of the faster load times. I'm not familiar to ARMA 3 or DCS World but I'm pretty sure they'd benefit from a SSD. But the big question here is how big can both games get? Will they fit on the Mushkin 240GB?

BandatBam
Level 7
Thanks for the warm welcome and really fast reply Chino,

Ok, understood and roger that, will do exactly so with the drives.

As for the load times,

I have been a little concerned about upgrading my boot drive to a SSD as I am still considering purchasing an additional Velociraptor 500Gb to
replace the Mushkin and install it in my G55VW-DS71. Personally I'd much rather reliability over performance if it means I have to wait a few
seconds more for boot and load screens. I've been told that SSD's are known for failure over long term(I'll be happy if it will last for at least a
year), at the same time I am curious to see my windows boot up as quickly as they say, it was one of the things I first noticed with my G55 when I first received it from amazon and have become accustom to it's quicker boot and load times.

The Mushkin is completely experimental and if everything is good in 6 months to a year I'l swap the Velociraptor for a SSD. Arma 3 has yet to be fully released but should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20Gb , not including all the maps, mods, pictures, addition programs for
editing etc... Both games should fit without any size problems.

Once I have my new rig up and running I'll try installing both games on both drive's to see first hand load differences and decide from there whether to stick with speed and performance or go with reliability.

Thanks once again for the advice and recommendations.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Well if you want reliability you buy Samsung Pro SSD. Simple as that.

OS on the 6GB Intel port.

Other drives in the 3GB ports since they are mechanical none will max out the 3GB ports.

Leave the Asmedia empty and disable in BIOS to have a slight boost in boot time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.