cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW Wireless Network Adapter Issue

PeterFitzpatric
Level 7
Hey everyone, I've had my G75VW for almost a year now and it has been running perfectly ever since. However, I started to encounter a problem once my family switched our ISP from Verizon FiOS to Optimum cable. Basically, while I am connected to the internet from anywhere from 1 minute to 20 minutes, my connection will drop. However my laptop will not tell me that there is any issue and I will remain connected to my router. Then when I go into the connection to troubleshoot this issue, I will see that there was an issue with the wireless network adapter that was seemingly fixed, then after that I will have internet for another couple of minutes until this repeats. I've read a few threads where people have had similar issues fixed but now the problem is just becoming more unbearable. If anyone knows how to help me, I would be grateful.

Thanks!
26 REPLIES 26

dstrakele
Level 14
PeterFitzpatrick wrote:
I've had my G75VW for almost a year now and it has been running perfectly ever since. However, I started to encounter a problem once my family switched our ISP from Verizon FiOS to Optimum cable.

Hmmm... working perfectly for a year... switched ISP's... now you've got problems...

I'd have to suspect the Optimum cable modem or your Router configuration - they may not be optimum. Troubleshooting from the computer end is not the best way to start. I recommend you give Optimum Cable Technical Support a call.

If you haven't deleted and recreated your wireless network connection on the laptopand since the ISP switch, that'd be worthwhile trying as well as rebooting modem, router, and laptop.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Well I've contacted optimum about the issue and they were the ones who told me that the problem lies with the wireless network adapter. Then they redirected me to asus customer support who basically only told me to reset the internet a whole bunch of time and that never worked. After installing a new driver for my wireless internet adapter by myself once, the internet worked better for a couple of days but now it's sporadic again.

Since my problem seems to be with the wireless network adapter, do you know what I can do to fix that? Or if there are better drivers for me.

dstrakele
Level 14
That's the type of important information you put in your OP, so we don't have to play 20 questions.

1) What version wireless driver are you running?

2) Have you confirmed other devices, like a friend's laptop, can connect without issue?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Sorry about that.

1. My driver is "Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter" version 10.0.0.26
2. Yeah, my family is able to connect without interruption.

Matrix_Leader
Level 10
The only stable driver with no drops is:

Atheros AR9485 WLAN Driver 10.0.0.75
ASUS G75VW-T1086V
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30 GHz.
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz. RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LAT-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM HDD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Screen: 17.3' Full HD LED Screen

Matrix Leader wrote:

OK thank you very much. I'll go ahead and install that now. It's funny how the community forums are more helpful than tech support.

PeterFitzpatrick wrote:
OK thank you very much. I'll go ahead and install that now. It's funny how the community forums are more helpful than tech support.

The support people are useless, we, the users here, know our Laptops inside out better than them
ASUS G75VW-T1086V

Matrix Leader wrote:

It dropped on me after about 12 minutes of use. I diagnosed the issue and reconnected for now. So far it's acting like every other adapter I've had.

PeterFitzpatrick wrote:
It dropped on me after about 12 minutes of use. I diagnosed the issue and reconnected for now. So far it's acting like every other adapter I've had.

Well I can tell you my connection never dropped in a full year so it must be something else

but what do you mean "so far it's acting like every other adapter ive had?"

is that good or bad?
ASUS G75VW-T1086V