cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW is overheating and shutting down

davide808
Level 7
I have owned my G75VW for over 2 years and i have loved it had no problems till now, my warranty is also expired.

I believe one of my fans have stopped working, when i use to play games or if my laptop got to hot a fan would kick in and now i dont hear it. My laptop will now shut down if i do anything which requires some power, i can surf the web and its fine, but as soon as i watch youtube videos or play games my laptop gets hot and shuts down and it takes 10 min or so before i can start it again. ive tried to look around for similar cases which brought me to this website, but i have not been able to find any solutions. please any help would be greatly appreciated!!
12 REPLIES 12

aMgDrew
Level 7
Is any amount of air coming out under load or without load?

Is it still under warranty?

In some countries you are eligible by law to make a claim regardless of the warranty terms, if you are able to prove that the malfunction is a defect or fault and not a result of natural tear and wear.

Best of luck 😉

dstrakele
Level 14
The G75 allows you to open the laptop where you have access to clean the fans and filters. Have you done this?

I also recommend installing HWINFO64 and enabling the EC Sensor to allow you to monitor fan speeds as well as CPU and GPU temperatures.

If a good cleaning fails to bring the temps down to normal levels, you may need to put a repaste on your 'To Do" list. This is normal for a 2 year old gaming laptop. A fan replacement may also be necessary.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

There is very little air coming out, it use to pump out alot of air. and no its no longer under warranty.

No i have not opened my laptop before, i will do that when i get home. how often should i clean my fans?

Thanks for your help guys!!

dstrakele
Level 14
I blow out the fan intakes and exhausts with compressed gas every week. I'd also clean the fan filters once a month if I had a G75..

The Manual for your laptop has a section on fan maintenance. It's worth a read...

Indeed G75 laptops have a user-friendly access to both cooling fans by opening both lids at the bottom of the machine. If little air is coming out, then it's clearly has dust foam clumped up where the fan is. Try air dusting those places.

which country have you bought the laptop from?

Repasting is unnecessary even if a system overheats. It's sometimes useful but not essential. Even stock cooling paste has properties of "surviving" high temperatures, higher than those that make your system shut down. But of course if you're curious, and feel like checking out the cooling paste you might as well check it out. try using safe equipment and guidelines to avoid bricking that beast.

Cooling paste serves as a mean for heat conductivity, as metal-to-metal is more heat conductive than metal-to-mountain of cooling paste-to-metal, that is why we apply a small layer of cooling paste in order to close the gaps between two metal pieces (there's no such thing as perfectly polished metal that has no microscopic holes in it), and since cooling paste is more heat conductive (some cooling pastes have metal pieces in the substance) than air, that's why it's cooling paste and not just metal-to-metal contact.

Best of luck

aMgDrew wrote:
Repasting is unnecessary even if a system overheats. It's sometimes useful but not essential. Even stock cooling paste has properties of "surviving" high temperatures, higher than those that make your system shut down.

Thing is, we've found that some of the factory pastes are cheap and go bad after a while. It's not necessarily sudden catastrophic failure due to heat, but a general crustyness that develops over time. Compound that with sometimes less than precise application at the factory and they sometimes do need a repaste. My brother's alienware couldn't do anything more than browse the web after several years of use and a tour in Afghanistan. I repasted it for him and right as rain.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

aMgDrew
Level 7
But I believe in you guys from ASUS. You guys would never do such a thing as using some kind of cheap cooling paste or scotch tape instead? Right?

aMgDrew wrote:
But I believe in you guys from ASUS. You guys would never do such a thing as using some kind of cheap cooling paste or scotch tape instead? Right?

Sea http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29131-Weird-blue-thing-(-Like-a-GUM)&p=224768&viewfull=1#po....

xeromist
LOL. I don't work for ASUS but I'm guessing that they buy paste by the gallon from whoever will give them a good wholesale price. Obviously they don't want a high failure rate but spending the extra on IC diamond wouldn't make good business sense either. There's a balance of price vs quality.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…