cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth buying or pass?

zepsy4x
Level 7
Hello, I have a realtek alc889 onboard card actually and I'm looking for a better card (for Sennheiser pc360 and a Bose Companion 3). I know that the Phoebus has a lot of bug, that the Titanium HD has crackling issue, and that the essence STX is old now. but the phoebus is worth buying ? or should I go for the essence ? Or the price for those card is too high for a pc360 and the bose?
And last question, will I hear a real difference between the realtek and another card?
22 REPLIES 22

Dank_D
Level 7
I have this card but I have nothing but regrets. For me anyway.
Sound was fine, worked with my headset. Worked for my games.
Now I know this is sold as a gaming sound card and all. But 3 months after having this card I found that it can not record stereo mix or "what you hear". My old 15$ sound card could record those. Why cant this $200 card????
The soft ware sucks, the drivers are terrible. Heck this card didnt get offical drivers untill a few months ago, I think that was longer than a year ofter was released.

So I definitely cant recommend this card. But for just a gaming card maybe. But not worth $200.
Im looking to sell mine xD, If your still interested in this card. Its in perfict condition with box and everything.
Make me an offer ;))
Mobo--Asus Maximus V Extreme --- CPU-- 3770k Delidded
GPU-- 2x Asus GTX680-DC2T in SLI --- RAM--Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 2666
PSU-- Seasonic Platinum 1000w --- OS Drive--Intel 520 240GB
Chassis--Cosmos II --- Cooling-- CPU EK-Supremacy -- GPU 2x EK-FC680 GTX DCII + Backplates
Laing D5 Pump --- Rads--EK-XTX 360 & EK-XTC 140

cx-ray
Level 12
Provided you don't have hardware or software conflicts and you only use stereo speakers or 2.1, the Phoebus should perform well. I also use it for gaming with 3D directional simulation XEAR Surround Headphone (7.1). Works and sounds better than Creative equivalent CMSS-3D in my opinion.
Regarding hardware conflicts, personally I've found the card doesn't like being put in a true 1x or 4x PCIe slot that's controlled by a Southbridge or PCH.

In comparison to the Titanium HD you mentioned, the Phoebus sounds far more clear and dynamic. Although not bad, I think the Titanium HD isn't in the same class as far as analog sound goes.
I can't say I've had any crackling issues with it either or with any Creative card for that matter. I've used the Titanium HD on the RIIE, RIIIE, and RIVE mother boards without issue.
Make sure the grounding of your equipment is good, that's the #1 advice I can give regarding noise problems with sound cards.

Retired
Not applicable
I didn't have a single problem with mine, but I am a stereo guy.
If you are thinking about upgrading from ANY onboard audio, I would say go for it.

also i got the phoebus since one month.
i like to share you my experiences

first the things i like about the card

+ Nice Design
+ Microphone for Table
+ Microphone and Headset Ports on Table Control box
+ Nice Sound (using an Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround System)
+ Dolby Digital

now which made me confused n angry

- Control box cant change system volume
- many Driver Problems
- Had a long time Speaker Mismatch (solved by the new driver but still count as negative because its was making me angry)
- and something more

so for now i would not to recommencement you to buy the phoebus.

Retired
Not applicable
The control box is majorly useless. That's why I would wait until the Solo version gets to stores.

KILLER_K
Level 10
Definitely pass all the way around. No need to even try to make it sound half way decent. You shouldn't have to play a driver wait game 1 year + later after a product comes out period.

Sound Blaster:
Creative-Sound-Blaster-Z
Creative-Sound-Blaster-Zx
Creative-Sound-Blaster-ZxR

Depending on your budget pick the top end {ZxR}, middle {Zx} or general one {Z}.

Retired
Not applicable
KILLER_K wrote:
Definitely pass all the way around. No need to even try to make it sound half way decent. You shouldn't have to play a driver wait game 1 year + later after a product comes out period.

Perhaps you want to tell us which specific problems did you have so you wanted new drivers.
No need to even try to make it sound half way decent. - What does this mean?

Octopuss wrote:
Perhaps you want to tell us which specific problems did you have so you wanted new drivers.

I have problems with sound in BF3.To workaround i have to switch Sample rate everytime.
I have problems with ASIO.
No "What you hear " mode.
Also i dont think Phoebus UI is user-friendly.
UI translation with mistakes.
There is a lot of work needed to improve this product.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
For me personally, the Phoebus is a great card. It does exactly what I want it to do. As for Iron Eagle's comment about the control box not controlling the system volume...it's not supposed to control the system sound, nowhere that I saw did it say this was a feature...the control box is for a headset only.