cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temps - Rampage IV Formula

Seabottom
Level 8
See sig for specs

When idling at the desktop, I noticed that the 6 capacitors on the very top of this motherboard (above the cpu) were very hot ~ 60°C. I tried a prime test and they went up to 85-90°C before the system crashed (no stable overclock atm). The CPU hit 100°C on a few cores too, but I wonder if the capacitors can handle such heat, especially when there is basically no airflow at the very top of the mobo.

I'd like to know which BIOS-settings these capacitors are related to, so I can adjust it, or, if they can take 200°C or what it's no big deal, but I thought that the temperature readings were a bit high.

My ram were also very hot ~ 55-60°C but I guess that can be expected since they've been overclocked a little.

I started out with a very stable overclock at 4.9 GHz. Then after a few months, I got a crash and I had to reduce the overclock. I know what this means; The CPU will soon be a gonner if this keeps up. I'm at 4.7 GHz now and the overclock isn't even stable.

I could post screenshots of the BIOS settings if you'd want it, but for the moment I'll be waiting on some response.
6 REPLIES 6

jollywombat
Level 10
Something is wrong with your cooling or your ambient temperature in the room there is way to high if your temperatures are running that hot. Without knowing your voltage settings, unable to comment on if those are causing issues as well, but please post them.

I would suggest backing your overclock back to stock considering your temperatures, then review your airflow in the case, the CPU heatsync being properly seated, TIM application redone, etc there. 100c is dangerous, it will shut the system down to prevent damage because of that. IMO anything above 80c is too high for normal regular operation and should be reviewed.

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, Seabottom.

There is nothing showing in your signature unfortunately which makes it a little hard for us to help. Can you please post your complete system specs as detailed as possible. Thanks. Also, what software are you using to monitor all those temperatures that you have in your opening post?

Seabottom
Level 8
Hmmm, guess the signature doesn't show 'cause I just registered.

i7-3820 @ 4.7GHz, 1.4v
ASUS Rampage IV Formula - BIOS 3404
3x GTX670 FTW 4GB @ 1254/3506
4x4 GB Corsair LP Vengeance 1333MHz CL9 @ 1600 MHz CL9
Silverstone Strider 1500W
240 GB SSD
2x 1TB HDD (no raid)
Watercooling on CPU/GPU; Swiftech Apogee XT Rev. 2, EVGA 680 waterblocks, compression fittings, Laing DDC - 1Plus (18W) w/ XSPC Laing DDC Top V3, EK Dual Bay res with flow indicator.
NZXT Phantom Black Case
3x Delta 38mm fans for 360 rad
1x Silverstone SST-FHP141 140mm fan for 140 rad
3x Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ - Gaming resolution ~ 5200x1050

I use AIDA64 to monitor all my stuff:
Ambient Room temp atm, 23°C

For the capacitor and RAM temp readings, I used a laser thermometer

The Ambient room temp will always be around 32°C after a few hours, unless I open the windows of course.

@JollyWombat; Yeah I find 100°C way too high my self, so I have gone to stock overclock now (4GHz) and plan to re-overclock it again this weekend. For the TIM I used Indigo Extreme. I'm not sure if it has been applied properly but I can tell you, that the burn-in procedure definitely went through as the CPU block went incredibly hot.

My initial question however, was about the capacitors and which BIOS-setting they're related to.

Seabottom
Level 8
Just to let you know, I have already posted a post, but it said it had to be reviewed by a mod before it actually posts. I wonder if he's on a holiday lol

HiVizMan
Level 40
Make sure your water cooling is actually working. From what I have read in this thread it is not. 🙂

No mods are not on holiday, we are all out having a good time in the pub. 😄 😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Seabottom
Level 8
Bump, The before mentioned post has been posted, scroll up to see.