cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G73jh-(B1?) freezing, stuttering, refusing to update

Jacobbil
Level 7
I've had this computer for a few years now, generally without problems. A few weeks ago, the battery died. The status light was orange, but it still worked as long as it was plugged in. One day, seemingly overnight, it fixed itself. It read empty, but fully recharged over the day. About a two weeks ago, after this event, I got a windows update that would freeze my mouse in place and seem to finish. The next time I turned my laptop on, I got the same update. It's the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 update, I believe. I still haven't been able to download it..

About a week ago, my wireless adapter was having problems connecting to my network. It's not a big problem, since I can just reset it using the troubleshooter, but I figure it might be connected. A few days ago the computer started freezing and stuttering at what I think might be random intervals. It happens more often and it bursts occasionally, once in particular when I was playing SWTOR.

My HDDs have plenty of room left, they're completely defragged, supposedly clean of viruses. I've used CCleaner to check the registry, as well as DSKCHK on my harddrive. Apparently I can't upload my DxDiag.txt here, so I'll have it attached in a mediafire link at the bottom of the post.

I have no goddamn clue what to do. I would very much appreciate some advice on the matter.

Please and thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ci0xbm1hhll1hl1 < DxDiag
6 REPLIES 6

dstrakele
Level 14
Over time, the Windows registry can become bloated and corrupted from multiple installations and uninstallations of software. This can lead to multiple problems.

If it's been more than 2 years since you reinstalled Windows on your laptop, backup your important files (or even the entire image of your current Windows installation), then perform a clean Windows 7 SP1 installation.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Jacobbil
Level 7
I've never thought of doing that. Seems like a solid idea.

So, I should transfer everything to an external harddrive and reformat? I've never actually reinstalled windows. I have my factory default discs somewhere, but I'm rather ashamed to admit I haven't taken very good care of them. They're covered in dust. How would do you think I'd go about doing this, to clarify?

dstrakele
Level 14
You can use Windows "Backup and Restore" to backup your drives and the Windows System Image.

You can then download a Windows 7 SP1 ISO file that is the same version (Home Premium 64-bit is common) and language that shipped with your laptop from the Digital River website (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?21964-I-cant-install-fresh-copy-of-windows-7&p=150745&viewf...). Burn it to a DVD or USB flash drive and you're all set for installation media.

Install Windows and the ASUS ATK Package and a handful of device drivers, then activate your new Windows installation with the Windows Product ID number on the label on the bottom of your laptop.

Alternatively, you can backup, then press F9 on startup to initiate the ASUS Factory Recovery. It will reinstall Windows, all the drivers, and ASUS Bloatware apps in one fell swoop (or is that one big poop?), in an out-of-the-box type installation.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

That seems simple enough. Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out. I'll reply with my results within the week.

Quick update: I haven't really been doing anything on it today and it hasn't froze or lost connection in something like 10-15 hours. :<

Jacobbil wrote:
That seems simple enough. Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out. I'll reply with my results within the week.

Quick update: I haven't really been doing anything on it today and it hasn't froze or lost connection in something like 10-15 hours. :<

Depending on your system, doing the factory recovery will multi-partition the drive. If you want this without all the bloatware, just use Windows partition manager to do it before Windows is installed. Alternately, uninstall all the blaotware after doing a factory restore.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Did you buy your lappy new? I did, and it came with Windows DVD for clean re-install along with driver CD. If you have those, you should be able to do a clean install. Make sure to save any important stuff (especially email, which I always forget.) Make sure you have any purchased software as either a disk or the install file, so you can get them back too. There's no point making a system image if you're doing a clean install since that will overwrite your new install with the bad old system.

Once you have the system functioning perfectly like it was initially, make system images of your disks either to an external drive or where ever. That way, if problems start, you can restore your images. I have NEVER re-installed my Windows XP Pro since I bought that computer in 2002. Whenever problems started, I restored the last good system image. I have never re-installed Windows on ANY of my computers for that matter, since I always back them up with system images.

The only time I did a clean re-install is when I bought the G73Sw. It came with the 20 GB restore partition and then a C: and 😧 partition on a 750 GB slow as molasses drive. I put in a 160 GB SSD and did a clean re-install using a downloaded copy of Windows 7 Home and used the Windows Key under the lappy. I had to call Microsoft to activate it, but that was no problem. After that was done, I installed another 80 GB 😧 drive, and used the original 750 GB drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure for doing backups of system images from the same computer. :cool:
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7