cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 930 with 1600mhz DDR3

Retired
Not applicable
A buddy ordered a R3E board, with i7 930 and Kingston DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). Now I've not done any overclocking, just read a lot. The QPI thing is throwing me for a loop with regard to bus speeds and getting the memory to run at 1600.

So my question, can someone provide me the specific BIOS config to get this memory running at 1600? Or is it possible with this configuration?
10 REPLIES 10

ottoyu34
Level 9
For i7 overclocking on locked CPUs such as the 930, we mainly focus increasing the BLCK (in the old days it's the FSB).
But there are a few multipliers that run off the BCLK, which includes the Mem, Uncore (VTT) and QPI multipliers.
so once you increase the stock BCLK. All those clock speeds will be affected.
Generally, I keep QPI multi. at 36X, Uncore 16X and Mem at 8X. Most CPUs except EE ones need to have Uncore speed double of the mem. ones. (reason for the 16X & 8X)
Once you hit the BLCK of 200. You will get 1600mhz for the mem. (200mhz X 8).
Finally, There's the CPU mult. if you run 21X. You will get 4200mhz.

Best way to learn is to play on his setup. Cause it's confusing just reading about it and no trying it out for yourself.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Well said otto. I have nothing to add but I have a question. Is the ram Kingston KVR 1600 or HyperX 1600 because if it's KVR good luck to get any kind of OC.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

ottoyu34
Level 9
But it should good for 1600mhz at least, right? haha

Retired
Not applicable
He can still push the OC and not worry with the memory. But it should be able to hit its rated speed, just make sure you double check what the recommended voltage for that speed is.

Make sure to set your memory voltage to 1.65v (or the rated voltage for 1600MHz) if you want you can set your QPI frequency to Auto and it will match the required double frequency of the Memory.

Retired
Not applicable
Question. With the new i7s, they're 'unlocked'. Minimum 12x with a max at 22x. Would it be recommended that I use 21x to doe the 16x/8x or should I use 22x to possibly get a little above 1600MHz?

xeromist
Unlocked means you can raise the multiplier above factory specification. In the past you could also lower the multiplier even on "locked" CPU's.

Have you hit a hard ceiling no matter what multi you use? If not then the higher the multiplier the better. Or are you talking about the memory or QPI multiplier?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Ah, I didn't realize they were unlocked to the point you can lower it in the past. To me, locked is locked and unlocked is unlocked.

Well, I figured I should use 22 because that means a higher clock at a lower voltage.

And I was inquiring on if the 22x clock inflicts on the QPI to up the frequency on the memory so it hits 1600. As in, I saw Otto mentioned that the BCLK affects QPI and Uncore. So if I used 22x, would it be better since I can 'theoretically?' get a higher clock overall with 22 than 21? Or am I just rambling on about something completely dumb?

xeromist
Nah, you're on the right track I would only worry about lowering the multi for the cores if you are hitting a hard frequency limit on the CPU and want a higher QPI. The main difference between faster and slower processors (in the same class) is the multi, so take it as high as you can. In the case of the memory you should be able to adjust the ratio/divider to increase its speed well beyond what it can handle so you should have enough headroom. Once you have an overclock that you're happy with then you could consider adjusting the multi if you want to go higher on the QPI, but honestly even the stock QPI should be well fast enough for all on-die components. Perhaps it might show some benefit in a multi-socketed CPU setup (depending on application).
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…