cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with starting to overclock

Seabottom
Level 8
After I updated my BIOS to 4004 I can't seem to get any kind of overclock at all or maybe I'm just not doing it right. I have only overclocked an X58 board before (i7 920) and my previous overclock on this X79 board was more like a gamble than anything really.

So, I started by enabling C1 and speedstep, also disabling C3, C5 and C7 and saved.
I then adjusted the multiplier to 37 (lowest) and saved
Then I adjusted the baseclock to a strap of 100 and also a 100 MHz (for 3700 MHz) and saved

To this point, I have gotten succesfull posts, however when I increase the baseclock to 107 (because I want 109.1 before an actual overclock to 44 multi) it won't post at all. It doesn't matter how much voltage I give it, it just won't post, however, if I only increase the multiplier it boots fine, so I'll have to assume it's not the overall frequency that is the issue right?
However, even when it posts at 106 bclk, it won't boot, just hangs at the win7 logo screen.

- BTW, the memory is set at the lowest frequency possible

The settings mentioned are the only ones I have changed and everything else is on auto (Vcore too). What am I doing wrong?

I'm also confused about the offset voltage. I've read that I should start at +0.2v and just lower until it's unstable. But - I don't know what the actual voltage, the only reading in BIOS is 1.2v, so do I have to assume that by putting an offset of +0.2 the actual voltage will be 1.4v in a stress test? I also read that offset mode was preferred instead of setting an actual voltage. Why is that?
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
There is no guarantee that your BCLK will go to 109. In your case I suspect that 106 is your max. Not to bad mind you.

I would suggest that you increase your multiplier rather, that is how you overclock with these platforms.

42x 100BCLK gives you a nice 4.2GHz OC.

42x 106BCLK is 4.4GHz

Thanks to Seabottom for correcting my maths.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
There is no guarantee that your BCLK will go to 109. In your case I suspect that 106 is your max. Not to bad mind you.

I would suggest that you increase your multiplier rather, that is how you overclock with these platforms.

42x 100BCLK gives you a nice 4.2GHz OC.

42x 106BCLK is 4.8GHz

Seems like you haven't spend enough time in school; 42 x 106 = 4452 MHz lol
The only way to get to 4.8 GHz which was also my plan is to max out the multiplier at 44 (doesn't go higher) and then set the bclk at 109.1

I have had the chip at a stable 5 GHz once but that was with another BIOS. I guess this BIOS makes things more difficult?

So, I just can't believe that 106 is the max. And mind you, I couldn't boot either, had to reduce it all the way to 100 again just to boot. I'm guessing that there are some voltage settings I don't know about that I should? There is something wrong with something here imo. This doesn't seem right.

- Also, thx for the explanation on the offset.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Seabottom wrote:
I also read that offset mode was preferred instead of setting an actual voltage. Why is that?

If you set manual voltage this voltage is applied continuously to the CPU whether it is working flat out or idling. With offset Speedstep will work and regulate the voltage as well as processor speed (as long as your OS power plan does not override this....careful setting high performance) so, idle uses a lot less voltage than load....long term will make for a happier CPU.

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL nah sadly just a simply type. 😛 My bad.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Seabottom
Level 8
Ok, I've done some proper testing now, and these are my results:

At 37 multi;
105.2 BCLK - Post and boot successful
105.3 BCLK - No post at all

This seems REALLY weird in my eyes. How can a mere 100 KHz cause a successful boot to fail? I don't understand it.
There must be something I have overlooked, but what?

The only settings that are changed are:
BCLK - 105.x
BCLK Strap - 100
Multiplier - 37
DRAM Speed - lowest value
C1 and speedstep enabled
C3, C5, C7 disabled

That's it, everything else is on auto.

Can someone explain?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
As far as I know SB-E CPUs simply have that limitation on BCLK.....often plus or minus 7 from strap (often less as you have found) So 100 to 107 or 125 to 132 etc. They are designed for multiplier OCing

You can still get a whole range of frequencies out of various straps and multipliers (you just have to remember that a strap of 125 and offset will not work or rather Speedstep will not reduce idle voltage...

Sometimes quirky CPUs just "dont like" a certain multiplier or BCLK so 43 x 104 will not work but 43 x 105 will or 45 x 100 is OK but 46 x 100 will be unstable....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
As far as I know SB-E CPUs simply have that limitation on BCLK.....often plus or minus 7 from strap (often less as you have found) So 100 to 107 or 125 to 132 etc. They are designed for multiplier OCing

You can still get a whole range of frequencies out of various straps and multipliers (you just have to remember that a strap of 125 and offset will not work or rather Speedstep will not reduce idle voltage...

Sometimes quirky CPUs just "dont like" a certain multiplier or BCLK so 43 x 104 will not work but 43 x 105 will or 45 x 100 is OK but 46 x 100 will be unstable....

I guess I just discovered a whole new level to overclocking. Why does it have to be so complicated? ugh....

Ok, so I changed the strap to 125 and the BCLK to 120, still with multi of 37 and it boots just fine.

I have set an offset voltage of 0.25v and in windows I get a reading of 1.248v. I guess that must mean that the standard voltage in BIOS is 1.0v. However, the voltage is not dropping when the CPU is idle but I guess that it's because I changed the strap as you say.

Some how, I don't really care about it either, I'm getting a new Ivy-E whenever it comes out later this year anyway.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you want a higher frequency again, then change to the 125 strap.

Just remember to drop your Multi and keep an eye on your memory frequency.

HiVizMan
Level 40
With the Strap set to 125 you do not get the voltage dropping as per the Intel power saving state sadly.

Could I ask you what your CPUz says your frequency is with BCLK 120 and the strap at 125 with the 37 Multi?