cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MVG - PCIe/GPU Weridness... Really really weird.. o_O

UltraNEO_
Level 11
Hiya folks.

Dunno should this be RMA'd or not.. What you guys think?

Maximus V Gene (bios 1707)
Intel Core i7-3770K @stock
Corsair Hydro H80 (p/p)
Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz CL9 1.5v (CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9B)
Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC 1536MB
Corsair AX850 PSU

Problem:
Less than a year ago I built myself another system, this one dedicated to playing games and based around the awesome MVG. For a fair few months it's been completely fine, completely trouble free until yesterday. After restarting the system due to a random crash, I'm unable to boot all the way into windows without any issues. It seems to post fine, boots windows all the way through until the logo appears, then just before windows desktop comes, it'll stall. My display will power-down into power-saving/sleep mode but the system remains on. Fans whirling but no-one home.

Now, I initially thought it's my GPU that's playing up, so this morning I tried swapping them over. Reboot, nothing... Again, it'll post normally, boots windows until the logo appears and disappears then stall.

After some thinking I decided to try both cards in the other PCIe slot (outer one) and to my surprise the machine boots fully. All the way into windows, right into the desktop as if nothing was wrong what-so-ever!
However, put the card(s) back into the (inner slot) and my problems will reappear.

WTF?? 😮 😮 😮 Odd eh?
I don't understand what's going on here.. Is my mobo dying?

Wanna hear the oddest thing?? I did a full system re-install onto spare drive. Both GPU's will work fine in any slot until the GPU drivers are installed then the above problems will re-show it's ugly face... BUT only on the inner slot. What Gives??

Is it time to RMA the motherboard?
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not a motherboard issue.

It is either a CPU issue or a driver issue. If the slot works before the driver is installed then look at the driver. Change drivers and see if that is the cause.

Oh and long time no see my friend. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Not a motherboard issue.

It is either a CPU issue or a driver issue. If the slot works before the driver is installed then look at the driver. Change drivers and see if that is the cause.

Oh and long time no see my friend. 🙂

Hey HiViz. Nice to hear from you again 🙂

However... If what you say is true, then how come the thing worked flawlessly for several months? Then this happens??
I've even tried it with older drivers that worked previously. Still, only does it exact thing and only on the inner slot! Annoys the fo0k outta me.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

HiVizMan
Level 40
It really does sound like there is a driver conflict with your OS my friend.

If you are using Windows8 then let the OS install the driver for you. Do not force a driver install.

The fact the lane works before the driver is loaded means the lane works you know what I mean. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

This is Windows 7 Ultimate w/SP1

I'm having issues believe it's a driver issue because I tried to replicate the problem on the other board by moving the boot drive from the first machine but it's working fine (minus the sound)!

Don't get it...

Yes I have two.. They're were cheap like the budgie.. lol

UltraNEO_
Level 11
So is it possible that I have a faulty slot?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Of course it can be a board. Check the socket might be a pin out of line.