cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Ghz Stable.. really need the experts help on this one. 8350

Jaysvfx
Level 9
Ok guys... for months, I have been attempting to achieve 5ghz stable and Ive come so close, yet so far.

I have gotten 4.816 @ 1.4875v 24/7 stable. It passes all my stress tests ie; Sony Vegas H.264 Rendering of 1hr video at 96k, OCCT, Prime95, BurnInTest, Linpack etc and all is great. Rock solid. Ive achieved this clock with the following settings.

Now Ive tried the go to method of 25x200mhz and gone as high as 1.55v and cannot achieve stability. I have tried total FSB overclocking, combo of FSB and Multi overclocking, ive tried the brute voltage approach (more on that in a minute). I have played with the VDD voltage, NB Voltage, RAM voltage, VID, etc.

Now, last night I was livestreaming my efforts for 5.0ghz and I had about 30 people present from several forums all trying to help me get 5.0 stable, but after 3.5 hours of crashing (usually about 30sec in to OCCT) and complete system lockups, I loaded my 4.8 again and called it a night.

I have a feeling that my memory is holding me back some how. I need some advice or to be pointed in the right direction of reseatching the coorolation of RAM timing and how to tune RAM for high overclocks.

Here are my specs.

CPU- FX8350
MB - Crosshair V Formua (non Z)
RAM - Patriot Viper XTreme 1866 (4x8gb) Ive tried 2 sticks instead of 4 with 0 change in stability
PSU - Corsair AX750 80Plus Gold
Cooling - Full custom loop 1x360mm rad 1x240mm rad

Now I DID achieve 5.0ghz stable on accident, but here is why I dont consider this a success. For some reason, my LLC allowed my 1.55v VCore setting to jump as high as 1.608v - Thats the first time Ive seen it move THAT far above the VCore set value. I was prettu frustrated and at that point didnt care if the chip fried to death so I let it go and to my amazment, passed 20min of OCCT before I got scared and shut it off. Temps maxed out at 61*c Socket 58*c core. Looks like my watercooling is doing its job.

This was all on live stream so of course, people were chanting for it to explode lol...

Anyway, Im at my wits end and reaching out to the experts. Im a youtuber with thousands of people asking me to make a 5ghz stable guide, but of course when I cant reach it myself, I cant even consider making the video... ugh.
12 REPLIES 12

HiVizMan
Level 40
Would suggest you have the answer right there, you need voltage to get to the magic 5GHz. 😞
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

That just seems insane that it would need 1.6v to get stable at 6ghz?? Thats pretty disappointing if thats the case. I still think that my memory is not optimized.

I still have a hard time grasping the HT Freq and NB Freq in relation to the higher RAM speeds and Overclocks.

Its amazing how much voltage it needed to get 200mhz additional. 1.488 to 1.608.... yikes.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip it is quite a know fact with many processors. You can get huge gains for next to no voltage then blam you need incredible amounts for just 100Mhz. That is what it is sadly.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Jaysvfx
Level 9
Especially when you see guy achieving 5.2ghz at 1.48v - Ive been really lucky in the past with magical chips, guess this one is my "reality" chip.

skellattarr
Level 10
try upping the dram volts a little to see if that helps it helped me when i was trying to get from 4.4ghz to 4.6ghz i upped my dram volts from 1.65 to 1.68
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

flearider
Level 8
hmm i'd say up the multi drop the nb ht to 2400 bring your bus speed down ..
mem cycle time is wrong should be 32
whats all the other settings at .. take a pic and post em ..

AMD FX 8350 5.1ghz 221x23
CROSSHAIR V bios 1703
g-skill sniper 1600@1800
What does it matter now if men believe or no?
What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
To murmur in pity that my words were true
(Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

to see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ...

northern_sun
Level 7
what memory timing are u running? u could be running high voltage on ur components and still hitting the wall, [..] depending on how good is ur memory2 i would start simply with relaxing ur memory timing ... i hope u are not running on auto ...
- Asus Maximus, 2.4 4core - 3.6ghz(o.c), raid5_6hdd, 3gb Crucial, HD 3870(o.c), Air Cooled, PSU-750w; Nzxt Apollo, 5-5-5-12-2-45-6-3 | 8-3-5-4-6-4-6 Republic of gamers !!!

- Asus Crosshair Formula Z, 4.0 8core - 4.4stable ; FX-8350 8core , g-SKILL PC19200 cl9 16gb, HD 6950x2, H100 Hydro+Air Cooled, Cm Storm Trooper, PSU1000w FATAL1TY, OCZ Vertex3x3

os2wiz
Level 8
Jaysvfx wrote:
Ok guys... for months, I have been attempting to achieve 5ghz stable and Ive come so close, yet so far.

I have gotten 4.816 @ 1.4875v 24/7 stable. It passes all my stress tests ie; Sony Vegas H.264 Rendering of 1hr video at 96k, OCCT, Prime95, BurnInTest, Linpack etc and all is great. Rock solid. Ive achieved this clock with the following settings.

Now Ive tried the go to method of 25x200mhz and gone as high as 1.55v and cannot achieve stability. I have tried total FSB overclocking, combo of FSB and Multi overclocking, I've tried the brute voltage approach (more on that in a minute). I have played with the VDD voltage, NB Voltage, RAM voltage, VID, etc.

Now, last night I was livestreaming my efforts for 5.0ghz and I had about 30 people present from several forums all trying to help me get 5.0 stable, but after 3.5 hours of crashing (usually about 30sec in to OCCT) and complete system lockups, I loaded my 4.8 again and called it a night.

I have a feeling that my memory is holding me back some how. I need some advice or to be pointed in the right direction of reseatching the coorolation of RAM timing and how to tune RAM for high overclocks.

Here are my specs.

CPU- FX8350
MB - Crosshair V Formua (non Z)
RAM - Patriot Viper XTreme 1866 (4x8gb) Ive tried 2 sticks instead of 4 with 0 change in stability
PSU - Corsair AX750 80Plus Gold
Cooling - Full custom loop 1x360mm rad 1x240mm rad

Now I DID achieve 5.0ghz stable on accident, but here is why I dont consider this a success. For some reason, my LLC allowed my 1.55v VCore setting to jump as high as 1.608v - Thats the first time Ive seen it move THAT far above the VCore set value. I was prettu frustrated and at that point didnt care if the chip fried to death so I let it go and to my amazment, passed 20min of OCCT before I got scared and shut it off. Temps maxed out at 61*c Socket 58*c core. Looks like my watercooling is doing its job.

This was all on live stream so of course, people were chanting for it to explode lol...

Anyway, Im at my wits end and reaching out to the experts. Im a youtuber with thousands of people asking me to make a 5ghz stable guide, but of course when I cant reach it myself, I cant even consider making the video... ugh.

It was a success. Some poorly binned or leaky 8350's like mine won't reach 5.0 GHZ without extra voltage. No you wouldn't want to run it 24/7 at 1.608 v. But for an overclock and stress test like OCCT or IBT -AVX it is fine to do so. Just don't go higher than that even for a temporary overclock. There is a wide variation in cpu VID's. So it's a bit of a craps shoot. You have very good cooling. 20 minutes of OCCT is good enough to know it is stable. Your ok.