cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW CPU upgrades?

angerpowered
Level 7
Hey everyone!

I'm seriously considering getting a G46VW with SSD and a upgraded CPU.

I honestly know very little about hardware, and even less about making a system.

Basically, is it worth it to upgrade beyond the stock i5? My budget constraints would allow me to throw anything up to a 3840QM in there, but is it worth it? I'm looking to spend about 1500, and I'm not really sure what I should throw in this son of a gun.
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
Depends on your use case. If you're going to be playing average games then you're likely fine with the stock CPU. If you're going to be playing a game that is optimized for quad core CPUs or doing a lot of CPU intensive desktop work then you could benefit from the upgrade.

A couple of things worth thinking about:
You can always upgrade the CPU later BUT it won't be covered under warranty and you have to be comfortable with the process. I think some folks will stay stock for now and upgrade when the warranty runs out if it makes sense (as the hardware will also be lagging behind current tech of the time).

Even if you have a faster CPU, the GPU will start to lag behind newer offerings and you won't be able to upgrade that. The point being that if you don't need it now, buying a faster CPU just in case might end up being a waste if the GPU won't play the games you want to play.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I upgraded my own to i7 3820qm, you could save yourself 200 by switching to I7 3740qm. They are not that far away and 3740 has better price/performance ratio. I just happen to come across a good priced 3820qm so i got it. This laptop is perfectly capable of handling the heat from I7s and they do increase the performance by alot. The i5 wasn't bad but you will feel the difference between the two
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

depot022
Level 7
Is it hard to replace the CPU?Because I'm thinking of upgrading my i5 to an i7.
I built 2 desktops before but I never worked on a laptop before.

JwPwns
Level 10
it's almost the same as desktops, but getting to the cpu on this laptop model is harder than others. it requires complete disassemble which takes 20-30 mins while desktop is just take off heatsink and pop a new one in, laptops usually require separating the keyboard and removing the motherboard from chassis then the heat-sink
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro