cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Build Log] Project Abyss

Wutdo
Level 7

Sponsored By

This is my first massive build, I am constructing a new desk to house 2 separate computers, one for Gaming and the other as a small home server. the desk itself will house 2 computers one on either side of the desk and in the middle all the HDD's from both computers. On display will also feature water-cooling reservoirs and multiple temperature LCD's. The Water cooling of the rig will Chanel down under the desk into 2 large radiators that will be housed inside a tiny fridge to keep the water temps down around 0-10 degrees Celsius.

Rig 1 (gaming)
Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV
CPU: Intel Core i7 3820
Ram: undecided will be either corsair or g.skill
PSU: OCZ fatal1ty 750W
GPU: 1x Gainward GTX680
HDD: 2x Samsung 840pro 256gb SSD running of a raid card
HDD: WD 2tb Green

Rig 2 (Media Server)
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth x58

CPU: Intel Core i7 930
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 12gb @1600mhz
PSU: Thermaltake 450W
GPU: EVGA GTX 550ti
HDD: Corsair Force 60GB SSD
HDD: 2x WD 3TB Green
HDD: 1x Hitachi 2TB
HDD: 1x WD 1TB Green

so here is the start of the desk and some of the parts that have arrived will keep you updated as i work on it.

And the Desk Progress

Will post more as i work on it this weekend.
Wutdo
28 REPLIES 28

Adhy_Dharma_FN
Level 7
great spec, Wuldo! I choose corsair Dominator for RAM rig 1
Next Build
- AMD Vishera FX-8350
- AMD Radeon HD 7870

Adhy Dharma FN wrote:
great spec, Wuldo! I choose corsair Dominator for RAM rig 1

Cheers mate. will most likely go with corsair dominator ram it looks nicer than the g.skill

Quick update, have been without internet for last week someone thought it would be funny to take the modem...

anyway will be painting the top this weekend and hopefully some more parts will be coming in the coming weeks

will have photos up sunday night
Wutdo

Sponsored By

ok so paint came and so did most of the power cables
will be building base this week hoping to have it done befor my work roster changes to 12hr shifts
than will be wating on motherboard processor and ram also anyone have any advice on water pumps
should i use 1 or 2 and which ones would be best?

Wutdo

looking good can't wait to see it finished
CPU - AMD Phenom II 555 OC'd and UCC'd to Phenom II B55 at 3709MHz
RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast
MoBo - ASRock 890GX Extreme3
GPU - Asus HD 6850 Direct CU
SDD - 240GB Kingston HyperX

ROG RealBench Score = TBB

Wutdo
Level 7

Sponsored By

First layer of undercoat done only 16hrs till the next

painting should be done next week and legs will be here friday i hope
Wutdo

Wutdo
Level 7

Sponsored By

Quick little update

Finally found some time to get into the city to pick up the rest of the parts on order.
I have decided that since i wont be going all out with 3 or 4 GPU's in sli that there was no real
need to get a the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme so i have chosen the Formula motherboard. I'm hoping
over the next week or so i will have the rest of the motherboard slots cut and ready to put the
top coats of paint on.

few quick photos bellow

One of the last parcels to arive

The 2nd layer of Undercoat on finally

and the rest of the hardware still need to get in another Samsung 840Pro 256Gb Drive

And this is just about everything i need just have to get my arse into gear and get some
glass cut and finish the desk

Hopefully end of the work week will post some more
Wutdo

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Nice collection of hardware you got there, AUSSIE!!! heh, I recognize the AAE bag for your stuff 😛 bit hard to miss it. Heh i've also got the RIVF and 3820, will be using them for my own scratch build, when I get the cash to build the damn thing lol :cool:

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Nice collection of hardware you got there, AUSSIE!!! heh, I recognize the AAE bag for your stuff 😛 bit hard to miss it. Heh i've also got the RIVF and 3820, will be using them for my own scratch build, when I get the cash to build the damn thing lol :cool:

Yeah im an aussie not too obvious ive been using the x58 set up for the last few years and figured why not give the x79 a try i know its dated now but all new parts should get at least 3-4 years good use out of it. whats your scratch build going to be?
Wutdo

Wutdo wrote:
Yeah im an aussie not too obvious ive been using the x58 set up for the last few years and figured why not give the x79 a try i know its dated now but all new parts should get at least 3-4 years good use out of it. whats your scratch build going to be?

The X79 isn't outdated lol, there's still one more lot of CPU's about to be released for it in a couple months time 😄

My scratch build http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33362-Buildlog-Shadow-Bench 😉