ROG Enthusiast Array

G73 hardware failure?

Hi,

I have a G73JH and this just started happening and ill try to explain is the best way possible

I'll turn my laptop on (power connected) and everything starts up normal and I go about my normal business. Wether I leave it idle, or am playing a game, using firefox; whatever it is. It shuts off about 5 minutes after startup. Windows does not shut down, the power pretty much just goes off. The battery after startup was showing 98%

Now after it shuts down and I try to push the power button, the light lights up but goes off right after I press it. So if I hold it the blue power light, and the other on the left side of the keyboard will stay lite until I let go of the button. No boot occurs or anything. If I wait for about 10 minutes, I can start it up again like explained previously for about 5 five minutes until this happens again

Also, I dont know if this matters, but I dont get the "windows was shut down improperly" or whatever it says when I restart the computer

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks,
    Ryan

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array billyray520 PC Specs
    billyray520 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G73JH-A1, G73Sw
    MotherboardMaximus V Extreme, H97M-Plus
    ProcessorIntel Core I7 3770K, Core I5 4690s
    Memory (part number)32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (MVE)
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X OC (MVE)
    Graphics Card #2Intel HD Graphics 4600
    MonitorAsus ProArt PA248 (MVE)
    Storage #1OCZ Vertex 4 2.5" 256 GB SSD (MVE)
    Storage #2Seagate 1 TB 7200 SATA III 6.0 GB/s (MVE)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i Liquid Cooler (MVE)
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X tower on wheels (MVE)
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W (MVE)
    Keyboard Logitech G110 Black LED (MVE)
    Mouse Asus ROG MOBKUL Gaming (MVE)
    OS Windows 7 Professional / Ubuntu 12.04 (MVE)
    Network RouterMotorola Surfboard SBG6580

Could it be shutting down due to overheating? Have you checked your temps lately?
    Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
    (both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
    Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

ROG Member Array

i had this problem.here is the solution what i did with my laptop

1.removed the hard disk and inserted back again.then checked my laptop, couple of days it was fine but later again it start shutting down again.

2.I re-pasted my gpu and cleared chunks of dust inside.

Till date no problem.
    asus g73jh laptop

New ROGer Array

did you try restore OS or install OS to other HDD? is it happen? how is your power manager setting?

ROG Enthusiast Array

To help you, we will need to know the operating system information. If you used the stock that came with it or another version, plus has there been any hardware changes to your system before this problem had occured? It sounds like a over heating issue, but to be on the safe side and not to be rude but is the power plug plugged in? if it is plugged into the wall socket is the power cord plugged into the power brick? if so is the power from the brick connected to the laptop? This is the basics on troubleshooting and by no means do I wan't to make you out to be a fool, I have myself forgot to plug in my power and my battery go out. If by chance your battery is losing its charge and you don't have it plugged in it may explain the issue your having. Replacing the battery would be advised if you are having this problem. If not it could be that your laptop is overheating and needs to be cleaned, and the thermal paste re-applied. Let me know what you can.
    Dabigin on xbl and psn
    Dabigin on stream
    Republic of Gamers Laptop owner 2-11-2011
    System:
    Current System
    GL703GE (Powered on 1/3/2019)
    Old System
    G74SX (Retired 12/20/2018)

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'm using windows 7 64bit. I tried to reinstall windows but when it starts its process it just turns off after about 5 minutes; so I never have enough time to reinstall. I thought that might be the issue, but im unable to get past the 5 minute mark

All the power is plugged in; when the computer is on it sits fully charged.

I looked at some youtube videos to checkout how to repaste this thing and it doesnt look fun. I might just take it in to have someone do it