cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G74sx Plugged in Not Charging

TheBlackShogun
Level 7
Hello. Another trip on my saga of my laptop not working like it's supposed to.

I just got my laptop back from my 2nd RMA today, and there might be another issue with it.

Basically, I'll plug in my laptop. The charging indicator will be orange. It'll say "___% Available, Plugged in, Charging."

After a while, the charging indicator will turn off completely. Then the windows 7 indicator will say "93-94% Available, Plugged in, Not Charging."

Is it supposed to be this way? Or is there something wrong with my battery?
6 REPLIES 6

Pitcher1
Level 9
1. only use battery charge to no power
2. pulg adapter to charging, maybe 8hr to ligh become green light.
is it able to full charge?

Sorry for the late reply. No it cannot fully charge. The highest it goes is 94%. Usually it's at 92%.

dabigin
Level 7
As long as your battery is in and it is fully charged, the charger not charging it is running normally. The way the batteries work, if you keep it charging the battery cell will die. I keep my battery out when it is fully charged myself, even if you go into Best Buy or other electronics retailers you will notice every laptop without a battery inside it. This is the reason why.
Dabigin on xbl and psn
Dabigin on stream
Republic of Gamers Laptop owner 2-11-2011
System:
Current System
GL703GE (Powered on 1/3/2019)
Old System
G74SX (Retired 12/20/2018)

Yes, I know. But I'm a bit worried since the battery indicator will turn green when it's charged enough, at least that's how it used to be. Now it just stays off.

dabigin wrote:
... if you go into Best Buy or other electronics retailers you will notice every laptop without a battery inside it. This is the reason why.

I think the retailers are more concerned about customers taking advantage of the "five finger discount" on the laptop batteries...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

carusoswi
Level 7
I know this is an old thread, but I found it useful and hope an additional post will be helpful to others who find this thread after me. I recently experienced a problem almost exactly the same as the problem described here. Green light on power adapter lit while using the laptop, received a message that I had 1 minute left on my battery (even though laptop was plugged into power supply), computer died within 15 seconds, and would not start on power supply, would try to start on battery, but battery was depleted. I chatted with Asus online and was told to take computer to 'Geek Squad' for service. I do not care for Geek Squad and requested an RMA, received one. Checked with Geek Squad anyway, they looked at my G74SX and told me it was too old for them to service. This made me hesitant to send it in to Asus for service (not cheap and shipping would be on me). Ordered a new power supply from Amazon (far cheaper than last time I had to order one), received it today, plugged it in, problem gone. I am very relieved. Have owned this fantastic laptop since new in 2011, and the power adapter (this new one is the third) is the only problem I have ever encountered with it. Most of my data is stored on external drives, but some of my proprietary software would have been difficult to recover (have to find current vendor, verify product numbers/keys/etc). I hope this helps someone who is as frustrated as was I. FWIW, I run a dual boot (Linux/Windows 10) on the machine. Good Luck!
Caruso