cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Blinking/Flashing BLACK, after sleep. Help Please!!?

melkerabersson
Level 7
My g46vw laptop screen Blinking/Flashing Black after sleep!? Please Help!
Hi! I got a new Asus G46VW laptop (1 month) with: Windows 8, i7, Nvidia GeForce 660M gtx.

This is a problem that can occur some times (with a couple of days in between working just fine).

It happens after the computer wakes up from sleep and after I have logged in to windows (or it might be just a couple of seconds after it has woken up from sleep mode).
- The screen starts blinking Black, like, 1 second black, a half second normal, and so on!!!!
The computer is still on and working, in the back, but the screen keeps blinking/ flashing like this until I restart it! Then it goes away for a couple of days!!!

Anyone have any idea what this is!!? Can't find any exact similar problems on the web.

GREATFUL FOR ANY HELP! :')
18 REPLIES 18

dstrakele
Level 14
1) What version of NVIDIA driver are you currently running?

2) Have you upgraded the NVIDIA driver since you got the laptop?

3) What applications have you installed to this laptop?

4) Has this issue occurred recently or has it been a constant problem since you got the laptop?

If this was a very recent issue, I'd try Windows System Restore to restore your system to an earlier time prior to when the problem first occurred. If not, I would try installing a different (preferably more recent) version of the NIVIDIA driver using an NVIDIA clean install.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

1) 320.18

2) Yes a couple of times

3) Some games, nothing thats tweakig anything I think. Geforce experience? I dunno..

4) It has occured like 3 times this month, witch maybe a week in between or so..

I only experienced it so far after I wake it up after sleep mode.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers, but when I got back to the drivers it was shipped with I lost a lot of performance some how, so I installed the newest driver again.

So you would suggest me to try uninstall my driver and then reinstall a clean install of the latest driver again? I'm just scared that I will lose performance again after messing with my drivers.

Have you had this problem yourself? thanks for helping!

1) 320.18

2) Yes a couple of times

3) Some games, nothing thats tweakig anything I think. Geforce experience? I dunno..

4) It has occured like 3 times this month, witch maybe a week in between or so..

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers, but when I got back to the drivers it was shipped with I lost a lot of performance some how, so I installed the newest driver again.

So you would suggest me to try uninstall my driver and then reinstall a clean install of the latest driver again? I'm just scared that I will lose performance again after messing with my drivers.

Have you had this problem yourself? thanks for helping!

melkerabersson
Level 7
1) 320.18

2) Yes a couple of times

Have you had this problem yourself? 🙂 thanks for helping!

dstrakele
Level 14
I think your system is leaking Pool Nonpaged memory due to what you've installed on it or from Windows 8 components. The only way to recover the leaked memory is to reboot your laptop. When you put it to sleep, no leaked memory is recovered and the problem is additive over time, until it eventually affects your video driver, and you HAVE to reboot.

You could troubleshoot the problem by reinstalling Windows and testing to see if the problem appears as you add applications and updates. This would probably take a good amount of time. Alternatively, you can make it a point just to reboot your laptop more often OR give up putting it to Sleep and it's likely you won't experience the problem.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

What version of Intel HD4000 driver are you using?

I had a similar problem using the newest nVidia & Intel drivers; I installed the newest drivers for both & had sleep issues similar to yours (my screen would go black after sleep & only way to restore was to press ctrl+alt+delete, then press escape). I found out that if I used the ASUS provided Intel drivers, I could install the newest nVidia drivers (320.18 & ones before it) & have had no more issues since then.
G46VW I Best Buy Stock I 128GB mSATA I Windows 8.1

It sasy I have 9.17.10.2828 version!

So what do you mean I should do then? with "the ASUS provided intel drivers..."?

And this is a software problem then? nothing to worry about, like it harming my computer?

thx

FYI, my problem was caused by having the newest Intel drivers I got from the Intel website & the newest nVidia drivers conflicting each other. What fixed my problem (similar to yours but not exactly like yours) was to install the ASUS provided Intel drivers (they are version 9.17.10.282 as far as I can tell) & then install the 'X' version of nVidia drivers.

I would suggest what dstrakele suggested in that you completely uninstall all video drivers (Intel & nVidia) then start over with whatever versions you would like; just use trial & error. Also, I would assume the issue is software related, not necessarily a hardware issue.
G46VW I Best Buy Stock I 128GB mSATA I Windows 8.1

Hey again guys! Now this problem occured when the computer was up and running!? I was going to install VLC player from google chrome, when I clicked the install setup I downloaded the screen started blinking like that again!! Its blinking, and if I dont move the mouse or anything the back-lit keyboard turns off, and the screen completeley black. If I move the mouse the screen starts blinking again!

is this still the driver problems ?

If I should uninstall the drivers, do I just go ni and uninstall them, and then install a clean version of the new again?

thanks for helping me!!