cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May Madness Results and Discussion

HiVizMan
Level 40
May Madness was a challange open to all ROG forum members.

The Benchmarks

3Dmark2001SE
Wprime1024
Aquamark

Hardware Limitation
ASUS Motherboard only
The same hardware has to be used for all 3 benchmarks
No Sub Zero cooling - photographic proof will be required
CPU frequency has to be the same for all three benchmarks - and if your result is to good to be true, then it most probably is.
Single Video card or Dual Video card
If you are in the top three a video will be required showing a successful completion of your Wprime run.

Benchmark Limitations

3DMark2001SE Nature Score is Capped at 1000
Same Operating System for all three.
Same CPU frequency for all three.

Start 1 May 2013
Close 31 May 2013

And the final results are....

• flexnl
  • nikosa43
  • Menthol

Congratulation to Alex (flexnl) and to all that participated in this challenge. You guys have come a long way since the challenge opened. Let us use this discussion part to share ram timings and other settings that we used or experimented with to all learn more about these benchmarks and our systems.

I will consolidate all the tweaks and guides into one or two posts here in this thread for future reference if you guys like or maybe Zka can have them in the team section if that would be better for the team.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.
172 REPLIES 172

HiVizMan
Level 40
reserved for guides and stuff like that.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Congrats flexnl! Nice benching! well done nikosa43 and Menthol....and everyone else.....this was good fun.....and truth be told will keep me occupied for a while yet!

Truth be told I have a whole lot to learn about RAM too henk......we can investigate together....:D

Thanks HiVizMan, as always, for setting it up and all the shared knowledge, tips and tricks!

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
congrats to the top 3!!! and I would like to voice my opinion of yes, please, guides so when I get my bench built I can mess with it 😄

nikosa43
Level 12
@ Flexnl, yes it is Coolabs Ultra on the die, lapped Heatspreader from outside, Coolabs Ultra again for contact with NH-D14. Heat surface of Noctua is intact, never lapped.

@ Henk, the much you want to know about memory, multiply by two and it's the things I want and I need to know about memory. If you noticed my settings never been very tight, because of a simple reason. My knowledge in that domain is swallow. But, that's one of the reasons we are here.

@ Arne, it's amazing how many things answered to me, (and how many not :p), from this challenge. Because for me the real challenge was to make it work on that clocks, I 've never been before. On day one, the highest clock I have managed to stabilize was 5G and after a week, I caught myself tweaking and changing things with confidence on 5.2G.

@Vizman, the thing you said about a secret button lurking in the depth of the BIOS, was it a joke or it was real? Because I found out something this morning, that was a huge boost to specific things.

nikosa43 wrote:

@Vizman, the thing you said about a secret button lurking in the depth of the BIOS, was it a joke or it was real? Because I found out something this morning, that was a huge boost to specific things.

LOL share with us all nikosa it is not secret.

HiVizMan wrote:
LOL share with us all nikosa it is not secret.

It was sometime in the morning (I don't quite remember 03:00 or 04:00). I was trying to come close to Flex's amazing Aqua score. I had done all my optimizations, tested many times and everything was absolutely stable and first time I felt that I had total control on the scores. I had find the golden setup for my H/W and I got 415000 points all the time -/+ some points, if I made some minor tweaks. I was ready to give up, because I couldn't imagine what was the extra thing that can give me 5000 extra points. Then I decided to go for a walk in BIOS, just to check everything again.
This settings are of them, that my mind never gave second thought. I was saying, Ok it's some Intel stuff that do something but who knows, what really do. After that, I had a second thought. I thought that this thing, maybe it serves as a buffer to optimize some functions. Maybe in our case that we need something like fast streaming of DATA, acts as a brake.
So, I disabled Hardware prefetcher, Adjacent cash line prefetch and something above them which serves as a protection for malicious code. Reboot, loaded tweaked driver, adjusted GPU OC and I gave it a run. First splash screen and my jaw hitted the floor. 420200 points!!! That was 5000 bonus by just turning one button. From that floor, yes, I could reach somehow 1000 points....:D I used that to run one 3dmark also. Gave some extra points and I felt it flow better but nothing like Aqua. I didnt used it for wPrime, so I do not know if there is an effect there. :cool:

nikosa43 wrote:
It was sometime in the morning (I don't quite remember 03:00 or 04:00). I was trying to come close to Flex's amazing Aqua score. I had done all my optimizations, tested many times and everything was absolutely stable and first time I felt that I had total control on the scores. I had find the golden setup for my H/W and I got 415000 points all the time -/+ some points, if I made some minor tweaks. I was ready to give up, because I couldn't imagine what was the extra thing that can give me 5000 extra points. Then I decided to go for a walk in BIOS, just to check everything again.
This settings are of them, that my mind never gave second thought. I was saying, Ok it's some Intel stuff that do something but who knows, what really do. After that, I had a second thought. I thought that this thing, maybe it serves as a buffer to optimize some functions. Maybe in our case that we need something like fast streaming of DATA, acts as a brake.
So, I disabled Hardware prefetcher, Adjacent cash line prefetch and something above them which serves as a protection for malicious code. Reboot, loaded tweaked driver, adjusted GPU OC and I gave it a run. First splash screen and my jaw hitted the floor. 420200 points!!! That was 5000 bonus by just turning one button. From that floor, yes, I could reach somehow 1000 points....:D I used that to run one 3dmark also. Gave some extra points and I felt it flow better but nothing like Aqua. I didnt used it for wPrime, so I do not know if there is an effect there. :cool:

nice job man:)
btw the "hint" about beeing something in the bios was given at some point in the thread by hivizman :):)

flexnl wrote:
nice job man:) btw the "hint" about beeing something in the bios was given at some point in the thread by hivizman :):)
I know my friend :). Call me stupid, but because of lack of experience in benching and the given humorous style of Vizman, I was scratching my head if he was serious or made a joke about that tip. If I knew before, I could use it also when I had the wPrime night session. I wonder what could be the number. I gathered lots of knowledge from that night, especially on the thermal behavior of the system and the settings I had to use, because for the very first time temperature throttling, was not an issue. We have to discuss this thing. Once again congratulations to your win. I wish we had this golden cup for real also 😄

nikosa43 wrote:
I know my friend :). Call me stupid, but because of lack of experience in benching and the given humorous style of Vizman, I was scratching my head if he was serious or made a joke about that tip. If I knew before, I could use it also when I had the wPrime night session. I wonder what could be the number. I gathered lots of knowledge from that night, especially on the thermal behavior of the system and the settings I had to use, because for the very first time temperature throttling, was not an issue. We have to discuss this thing. Once again congratulations to your win. I wish we had this golden cup for real also 😄

haha i would melt it down and builld the ultimate bench rigg :D:D