cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73jh will not boot after repasting, at wit's end. [solved almost?]

cwunnenberg
Level 7
Alright, folks, here's what happened. I've owned my G73jh since May of 2010, I've RMA'd it twice within it's warranty period due to the overheating issue. Since the warranty expired, I've repasted the CPU and GPU several times when the idle temps exceeded normal ranges with no issues. A week ago, however, I was playing Dead Island Riptide (the Dead Island games have a special ability to overheat this thing for some reason) when it overheated and shut down on me. I rebooted it and updated the graphics driver, then shut it down to repaste it as my idle temps were in the 80 degree C range (!). I took it apart following the BTO YouTube video like I normally do, repasted the GPU and CPU with Arctic Silver 5, and put it carefully back together, making sure the CPU, GPU, RAM, all the cables, and finally HDDs were properly connected and seated. Took a deep breath, said a little prayer, and hit the power button... nothing. No lights, no fan noise, nothing. Thought maybe the WiFi antenna cable was over the reset button. Took it back apart so I could check, it wasn't. Rechecked all the cables and components to make sure everything connected properly. Reassembled, still no boot. I've never had any issues with the battery or the power adapter, I discharge the battery and recharge it regularly to 100%. It won't turn on to battery, AC adapter, or both. I've tried all the little tricks I could find on this forum, I even took the CMOS battery out for an hour. So I guess my question would have to be, how boned am I?

I like to think of myself as a fairly competent computer technician, I've worked in the field since 2006. But for the life of me, I can't figure this one out.

Any and all help is appreciated, I'm too poor at the moment to buy a new gaming laptop or build a gaming desktop.

Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

Pitcher1
Level 9
so you mean you assembly youself, but now, it can not power on? now it have no warranry right, i think you can bring to 3th parts repair center to check it.

dstrakele
Level 14
As I understand it, a poorly-seated GPU or RAM chip in slot 1 will prevent the laptop POST (but I thought you'd still get a light or two). I think it's still worth a check before you bury it in the backyard.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
As I understand it, a poorly-seated GPU or RAM chip in slot 1 will prevent the laptop POST (but I thought you'd still get a light or two). I think it's still worth a check before you bury it in the backyard.

I have reseated the GPU, swapped around all 4 RAM sticks and ensured they were properly seated, and I've got my shovel ready. I fear the mobo may be fried, though it showed no physical indications. And @Pitcher, I have no clue where my nearest parts repair center would be, and I cannot access that information from the website on my phone.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
cwunnenberg wrote:
I have reseated the GPU, swapped around all 4 RAM sticks and ensured they were properly seated, and I've got my shovel ready. I fear the mobo may be fried, though it showed no physical indications. And @Pitcher, I have no clue where my nearest parts repair center would be, and I cannot access that information from the website on my phone.

Don't know that you will want to send it to ASUS in California for out-of-warranty repair, but if you are interested, check the ASUS U.S. and Canadian contact information page here to request an out-of-warranty RMA.

If nothing drastically went wrong during the disassembly and assembly though, guessing there may just be something not connected properly rather than a defective motherboard.
You should usually see a battery charge light before you even power on the notebook, so hoping you will see this at least, otherwise, make sure everything looks good with the AC adapter and the light on your AC adapter is lit.

Otherwise, you might try to simplify the system as much as possible and unplug any unnecessary items like the battery, extra memory (leave only 1 stick?), hard drive, optical drive, keyboard, touchpad, unnecessary cables, etc. that you don't need to just power on.
Below are a few more things to check if you're interested.

1. Check the pins (for the microphone and webcam cable?) on the motherboard to your LCD module to make sure none of the pins were bent if you unplugged and plugged them back in.
2. You should probably still see a battery charge light, but try to reseat the cable to the power switch board under the keyboard and make sure it's connected well.
3. You may not have removed the cpu, but make sure the cpu locking screw is tight, or try to reseat the cpu and make sure you can't just lift it out of the socket which means you didn't lock it.
4. Unplug the LCD and connect to an external monitor instead, or leave both unplugged until you can get the unit to power on at least.
Good luck!

dstrakele
Level 14
Get the shovel...

... or sell it on eBay for parts.

cwunnenberg
Level 7
So that's about it, huh? My trusted warrior has gone quietly into this good night?

dstrakele
Level 14
Sniff...Oh Why did this have to happen to such a good laptop? Why!!! :wipes away tears.
I'm sorry... Don't look at me....

cwunnenberg
Level 7
Only a viking funeral is appropriate in this case. Where can one acquire thermite?

cwunnenberg
Level 7
Hate to revive a dead thread, but I figured since I revived my dead laptop it was worth it!

IT LIVES!

cl-Albert wrote:
If nothing drastically went wrong during the disassembly and assembly though, guessing there may just be something not connected properly rather than a defective motherboard.
Otherwise, you might try to simplify the system as much as possible and unplug any unnecessary items like the battery, extra memory (leave only 1 stick?), hard drive, optical drive, keyboard, touchpad, unnecessary cables, etc. that you don't need to just power on.
Good luck!

Al, you rock dude.

Yesterday, on a whim I decided to disassemble it again and see if I could get it to boot. I took it apart with the cover off the mainboard and only the keyboard plugged in, and it booted! Upon closer examination of the ribbon cables leading from the trackpad and the front LEDs, as well as the buttons on the top left by the speaker, some of the connectors were stripped off and possibly shorting, keeping the laptop from booting.

I suppose now my question would be, how can I obtain the correct replacement ribbon cables?

Thanks!