cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My New ROG Desktop

Zka17
Level 16
A little over one year I've got poisoned by benchmarking... - since then all my systems at home became test benches and practically had to move my work on a laptop... When I came on this Forum, I have started with a built log - which I wasn't able to finish yet.... benchmarking took to much time...

Now I realized that I need a regular desktop for home too... and since I have collected a lot of hardware and I'm a ROGer, I decided to build a ROG system! :cool: Nothing fancy yet, just a simple, reliable desktop to keep on with my work - but later on I'm intending to add more glow to it...

So, meet my new ROG Desktop:

I went with the Cooler Master HAF XB case... I was looking around and searching for a good case and I choose this one. It's small enough (compared to the others i was looking at) and fits perfectly on my new desk! 🙂 But the main reason I went with this one was that I can keep my mobo in a horizontal position... you know, with multiple graphic cards I just feel it more safe... - yeah, this is a part of my future plans... :cool:

Now, let's take a look inside:

I went with the AMD platform: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z and FX-8350... and, for now, I'm going with 2x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz CL9 1.5V... - this setup is really nice, but unfortunately it does not keep up in competitive benching... it may be perfect for my work needs though... When I will continue building it, will be a very good basis too...

For now I choose two PowerColor HD5870s in CF:

I know, those are not ROG hardware... my Matrix Platinums (the intended AMD cards for this system) still have the waterblocks on them and i just didn't wanted to convert them back on air (anyway, I could not fit 3 of them with stock cooler)... These HD5870s are the second most amazing graphics cards i have (the most amazing one is the GTX670 DCII TOP), they're cool and quiet! :cool:

I used one of the Seasonic X1200W PSUs I have:

For now it's certainly overkill, but I was really curious how it fits in this case... it does, but it's kinda the biggest without modding...

As it can be seen, I really kept the cooling at minimum too... needed cool and quiet... - the CPU has the Noctua NH-D14 with it's stock fans... the FX-8350 is at it's stock 4GHz frequency and this cooler is enough for it. The original case fans had to be changed - I went with the Enermax Magma ones... (the red is going nicely with the black of the case) 2x on the front (intake), 1x on the back (exhaust) and 2x on the bottom rear (as intake)... it seems that they're doing their job... I also installed a Lamptron FCS V2 controller for them (4 channels, 30W each) to be able to control the noise... - even at the max rpms these fans are not loud at all, but turned down to 7V I barely can hear them... (it's mostly just the air going through the mesh, but very quietly)

And finally in it's place:

For a while that's it! :cool: I have plans for the future though... - just a teaser: 3x Matrix Platinums and completely watercooled... 😄 When it will be done? Time will tell... 🙂
25 REPLIES 25

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Looks nice and clean mate! and now that the last comp is over, you should have a bit more free time to get this finished 😛

chrsplmr
Level 18
That is sweet. So what your say'n is if you want and all around great system that can handle
any work load, graphics, rendering, hard core gaming OC'd, then the CrossHair Z and AMD is the way to go.

But for benching .. Intel. Good to know.
[.. hope Flank3R don't hear ya sat that .. hahhaa.]

All jok'n aside. Great job ZKA .. you never cease to amaze me.c.

Chino
Level 15
I'm glad you decided to get the HAF-XB. It's really a nice case. Lots of airflow and places to zip tie your cables. And I like having my GPU in a horizontal position. No more sagging for us. YAY! LOL

CM also sells the acrylic top for it in case you want to have a top window for your guests to peek into your system. 😛

PlaneName
Level 10
It looks great as always have fun with your new PC!

Now lets see if you can keep the table clean 😛 Well it seems you are very organized I might need to get an storage drawer. 🙂
Case: Antec 300 Mini Tower Motherboard: GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (rev1.3) CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 560ti (950mhz) RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3 @ 1600mhz PSU: Corsair CX 750 Driver: 320.00
Been building PC's for 8 Years! 😉

Zka17
Level 16
Thanks, guys!

@ Myk: This system is finished already! Just there is place for more improvements... 😛

@ Chris: You can bench on the AMD system too, of course! But for me Intel systems brings more points... 🙂

@ Chino: Yes, I know about that top with window... but if everything goes as I planned, I won't need a top for this case... :cool:

@ PlaneName: I made that picture right after I finished the system... a lot of people would love if I would have my desks clean and organized... 😄

Zka17 wrote:
Thanks, guys!
@ Chris: You can bench on the AMD system too, of course! But for me Intel systems brings more points... 🙂

I was just hav'n some fun with ya brother, of course it OC's, it's ROG.
And of course the ~choke~ 'intels' bring more points, that's what they do .. they just don't do anything else 'better'. hahhaa .imho.

No matter .. I will smile everyday knowing that that is sitting on your desk while the 'intels' are strapped to a bench for
torment .. "give me numbers !!! SCREAM !!!" ... hahhahahha ... Cudos.c.

HiVizMan
Level 40
You have a case????

😄 😄

Nice one Zka 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
You have a case????

LOL, it is strange for me too... 😄 I'm afraid now that I will forget what is inside... - maybe need to make a list and tape it to outside of it before I start looking for the components i have built in... 😄

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Improvements = not finished mate 😛

I had bit of a look on Ebay to see if I could find any Matrix Plats used, one guy is selling 2 brand new(he got an ARES II) for 1900 for the pair!!! he alleges that he bought them direct from ASUS at a price of 900 a piece after they were sold out lol