cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my G74SX idles at ~ 80 °C and goes to ~ 90 °C on load

nammerduong
Level 7
I've owned this laptop for over 2 years? past 3 months the fans have been really audible and my laptop has been getting really hot.
sometimes when I play league of legends my FPS is at around 10-20 fps. (unplayable)
The only way I know of fixing the problem was to restart my computer.
If I'm lucky, I would have only needed to restart my computer once to get a stable 60 fps on league of legends.
However, no matter how many times I restart, dota2 and sc2 are forever unplayable for me at the moment because of really low FPS.
The fps problem started only happening when I leave my computer idle for a bit, but now it happens even after restarts.
I reformatted my computer hoping a faulty driver was causing these crazy temperatures.
No luck though, right after I reformatted I installed speedfan and it showed my computer idles at around 65 °C right after start up.
Leaving my computer on for about 40 min idle with nothing running makes it go to around 80 °C.
playing 2 league of legend games makes my laptop go to a whopping 90+ °C.

image of my laptop temperature: http://i.imgur.com/pefz8NI.png

I thought my fps problem was finally fixed after my reformat, but I just found out it's still here.
Any suggestions on how I can lower the temperature on my laptop or fix my fps problems in games?
I would really prefer not to disassemble my laptop though. It seems too lengthy and I fear I might damage or misplace some stuff.
Anyone know what is causing these crazy temperatures or my fps problem and know what I should do?

UPDATE:
I recently blew into every crevice in my laptop with a hair dryer on cool setting.
what I was expecting was massive amounts of dust to fly everywhere since I've never done this before and have been using this machine very often for over 2 years.
However, to my surprise, I literally saw no visible dust leave my laptop while blowing it.
Good news is my computer currently idles at around 65 °C but my load is still at like 85-90°C.
More good news is that I can finally play dota 2 with a stable 60 fps!
I'm pretty sure my fans are alright since I can hear them quite well. and speedfan shows them changing RPM.
oh and none of my stuff is overclocked.
I'm pretty sure idling at ~ 65°C is still pretty high, so anything else I should do?
12 REPLIES 12

Boosted_R
Level 8
Sounds like one of your fans isn't working...... can you feel air coming out off the fan outlets ? Keep in mind 1/3 of the right side (looking at the vents) their isn't a vent, its symmetrical for aesthetics only.
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Boosted_R wrote:
Sounds like one of your fans isn't working...... can you feel air coming out off the fan outlets ? Keep in mind 1/3 of the right side (looking at the vents) their isn't a vent, its symmetrical for aesthetics only.

yeah I can feel air coming out of the right side

dstrakele
Level 14
Your overheating GPU is downclocking, reducing your FPS.

1) Blow out fan intakes and exhausts with compressed gas. Open the bottom and blast the fans. If this fails to return temperatures to normal levels, you will have to:

2) Repaste the processors (CPU and GPU) .

The thermal paste used to aid heat transfer from the processors to the heatsinks loses efficiency over time. It is normal for a gaming rig to require a repaste after 2 years. If you don't feel comfortable with the disassembly required in this task, find someone qualified to do the job for some cashola....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Your overheating GPU is downclocking, reducing your FPS.

1) Blow out fan intakes and exhausts with compressed gas. Open the bottom and blast the fans. If this fails to return temperatures to normal levels, you will have to:

2) Repaste the processors (CPU and GPU) .

The thermal paste used to aid heat transfer from the processors to the heatsinks loses efficiency over time. It is normal for a gaming rig to require a repaste after 2 years. If you don't feel comfortable with the disassembly required in this task, find someone qualified to do the job for some cashola....

hmm yes, I did suspect the heat was making my gpu or cpu downclock, ruining my fps.
I'll give you an update once I get a hold of something to blow out my laptop with.
Thanks for the suggestions 🙂

dstrakele
Level 14
Compressed gas in a can from Walmart will do the trick...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Pitcher1
Level 9
please check your cooling system,please clean it, if you have OC, please don not do this and try again.

Boosted_R
Level 8
its not the thermal paste, its too severe..... i'm pretty sure one of the fans have failed or stuck....... I had an old dell D830, where dust got between the blade and housing and the fan wouldn't spin when I turned it on....... Run HWiNFO64.... run sensors and see what RPM the fans are spinning.

I am at 40C (GPU) and 44C (CPU) currently:

CPU Fan: 2176RPM
GPU Fan: 2604RPM
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Boosted_R wrote:
its not the thermal paste, its too severe..... i'm pretty sure one of the fans have failed or stuck....... I had an old dell D830, where dust got between the blade and housing and the fan wouldn't spin when I turned it on....... Run HWiNFO64.... run sensors and see what RPM the fans are spinning.

I am at 40C (GPU) and 44C (CPU) currently:

CPU Fan: 2176RPM
GPU Fan: 2604RPM

with me just browsing and listening to pandora:

cpu: 68°C
gpu: 66°C

cpu RPM: 3277
gpu RPM: 3287

all data collected from HWiNFO64

made an update in my orginal post!