cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW Not Recognizing Power Being Plugged In

SlyBlueFox
Level 7
Just recently my G46VW would take longer than normal to recognize that I had plugged up the laptop to external power. It started to be ~30 sec delay, & now as I am typing, it has been plugged in for an hour & has yet to recognize it. Assuming it is a software issue, the only things I have installed lately since it started are the nVidia 320.18 drivers & OpenOffice suite with C++ 2008. Anyone have a clue whats going on?
G46VW I Best Buy Stock I 128GB mSATA I Windows 8.1
21 REPLIES 21

ggBanks
Level 10
My G55 was doing the same thing, but the delay was no longer than 20 sec. After reinstalling Windows everything was fine.

P.S. Before you do that though, you can try reinstalling just the power 4 gear utility and it might start working properly again.

ggBanks wrote:
My G55 was doing the same thing, but the delay was no longer than 20 sec. After reinstalling Windows everything was fine.

P.S. Before you do that though, you can try reinstalling just the power 4 gear utility and it might start working properly again.

I uninstalled & reinstalled the newest version of P4G for Win7. During installation, I get an error for 'gadget could not be installed' but the installation says it completed correctly. I can open P4G and modify settings, but still does not recognize power.

Djask wrote:
Hmm, strange, mine has never had that problem. Have you tried shutting down, unplugging the power, waiting a minute then plugging it back in and restarting the laptop?

I tried this but nothing happened. When the laptop is off & plugged in, the battery light indicator is orange & blinking; I think this means it's charging? Correct me if I'm wrong. When the laptop is on, the battery light indicator stays off. As far as I can tell at this point, it is a hit or miss if the external power is recognized when the laptop is on.

Djask
Level 7
Hmm, strange, mine has never had that problem. Have you tried shutting down, unplugging the power, waiting a minute then plugging it back in and restarting the laptop?
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate

ggBanks
Level 10
If you are using Win 8 thats why it gave you the error, because Win 8 does not have gadgets and the Win 7 version of P4G comes with a gadget. I think the light indicator for the battery should not be blinking in any circumstances. I've never seen the battery indicator blink on any laptop. Blinking occurs only on the power on indicator and that is only when the laptop is sleeping. Maybe there is something wrong with the charging of your laptop or something and the blinking is some servicing beacon that shows that there is something wrong. I advise you to make a Live USB of Ubuntu and just boot it up from an external flash drive. Then see how it behaves and if it gives you the same error then it's from the hardware of the computer and you will need to send it for repair. Otherwise maybe it can be solved with simple reinstalation of Windows.

ggBanks wrote:
If you are using Win 8 thats why it gave you the error, because Win 8 does not have gadgets and the Win 7 version of P4G comes with a gadget. I think the light indicator for the battery should not be blinking in any circumstances. I've never seen the battery indicator blink on any laptop. Blinking occurs only on the power on indicator and that is only when the laptop is sleeping. Maybe there is something wrong with the charging of your laptop or something and the blinking is some servicing beacon that shows that there is something wrong. I advise you to make a Live USB of Ubuntu and just boot it up from an external flash drive. Then see how it behaves and if it gives you the same error then it's from the hardware of the computer and you will need to send it for repair. Otherwise maybe it can be solved with simple reinstalation of Windows.

I was installing on Win7 & the program is the Win7 version. The only one provided for the G46 is the Win8 version so I had to find the P4G for Win7 through the ASUS site to install it.

I have since found out that the light will blink only when I turn the laptop off, while the screen is still up, & it's plugged in. As soon as I close the screen, the light will become solid; this is showing me that it is in fact charging.

I tried the Live USB of Ubuntu & the issue was never encountered. Plugging/unplugging of power cord behaved correctly; I did it numerous times & behavior was normal.

I am guessing a reinstall of Win7 is the current solution 😞

Pitcher1
Level 9
i suggest you send back to service center to check, because you just receive recently.

Djask
Level 7
The battery indicator blinking is probably not a good sign, but that might be the case for Windows 7. I don't know.
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate

Djask wrote:
The battery indicator blinking is probably not a good sign, but that might be the case for Windows 7. I don't know.

It seems to only blink occasionally when the laptop is off. I decided to install Ubuntu alongside Win7; now it seems both randomly will recognize power is connected. In Win7 when I get it to recognize power, I can shut it down, remove power, plug it back in, start up the OS, & it "remembers" power was connected when it last shut down so it stays connected. I have no clue what is going on. Could this possibly be a BIOS issue? I do have the newest BIOS installed if that matters; I believe it is 210.

ggBanks
Level 10
I do not recommend BIOS upgrading! I've had my laptop RMAed 2 times over that sh*t. Try with reinstall, if it doesn't work, then send it to service.