Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

This is normal operation regardless of how you have your BD-Prochot setup, mine does it. Launch a game something like Linx and it will throttle up like it should and if you are using either my bios mod or throttlestop it shouldnt throttle back down while doing "work" (mine never goes below 2.5 ever. You guys have noticed that you can change the settings for how the fans work right? Not only can you change the temperatures that they come on, but you can also change the percentage of fanspeed at the temperature threshold. It works on mine....

ROG Guru: White Belt Array WhirledNews's Avatar

Sweet! I just did this and it worked great!

I got a bit worried there for a second when it popped up with the ole "Boot MGR Misssing" bit, but I just booted from the Windows ISO repaired and restarted, then used MSR tool to confirm... it's an E!

Thanks everyone, I never expected to have to go in and tinker with the actual BIOS file and then flash my laptop with something that I messed with, but it was pretty easy.

Spiritus777
    Hey Lannigan, I followed your guide on modding the bios and it worked perfectly. I unlocked some additional options under Thermal Configuration and I noticed that there's a DPPM Configuration and the default value for it is "Disabled." Apparently it's for enabling/disabling Intel's Dynamic Power Performance Management. Do you know why it's disabled by default (e.g. it's not supported by the laptop). Should I enable it?

Thanks.

ASUS G53SW-XN1

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

I wonder how long before we start seeing modded G74SX BIOS's all over the place? lol

This eamibcp.zip phenomena proves that it wouldn't be hard for Asus to give us a full-fledged BIOS if they had the will to do so.

I suddenly feel the urge to start pestering the "customer care" people for a few BIOS updates. How about you?
    Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array PILGRIM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JRd1st View Post
    ...I suddenly feel the urge to start pestering the "customer care" people for a few BIOS updates. How about you?
    That wouldn't be a bad New Year's Resolution to start with..
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

ROG Member Array

Very interesting tool, under LCD parameter, color depth was set to 18bits, I changed that to 24bits, but nothing changed, I still have this weird color banding on dark shades. (grid smoothing with older Nvidia drivers and scanline smoothing with latest Nvidia)

ROG Member Array

Isn't this just TOO annoying? Mustn't be too hard to release a damn bios update to fix whatever the damn issues this laptop has!

I'm annoyed, seriously, what are we waiting for..

ROG Enthusiast Array

OK, I just did CPU+GPU stress tests:

With PROCHOT it throttles the CPU down to 798mhz after like 5 minutes and an avg temperature around +60 deg C,
    whereas without the heat protection bit it doesnt throttle at all but stays at a temperature of 75-78 deg C.

So is it safe to turn the protection off? I imagine in summer the system temp will be even hotter.

Btw thanks for the easy BIOS modding, I just made the volume changeable in BIOS (haven't changed it tho) :P
    We should ask ASUS to unhide the chipset section main menu in BIOS instead of asking them about the PROCHOT hehe.
    Last edited by thesting; 01-02-2012 at 09:50 PM.

ROG Member Array

As far as the safety of this goes....It is no different then using throttlestop to disable BD-Prochot. It is actually possible to change the thermal profile to change the behavior of the bi-directional controls (ie the temp that it starts the throttling at). I am currently in the process of RMA'ing my laptop due to the faulty magnetic lid sensor. It wouldnt turn on out of the box (really asus you still wont recall whats on the shelf?) but as many are probably aware by swiping a magnet around the trackpad area you can reset the switch and get the machine to boot. Works well but mine is getting worse and worse and takes more and more "playing" with a magnet to get it to start everytime. Unfortunately without a machine to test things on I wont be giving you and updates or suggestions as I will not do this without first testing myself. I also do believe if you guys want that RAID should be possible as well from what I have seen during my research (I have compared our asus bios to almost every HM65 ami aptio bios out there).

ROG Enthusiast Array

You said you can change the behavior of the bi-directional controls.
    Well I see that you can change the Passive Trip Point (default 95 deg !) under the "Platform Thermal Config" (PROCHOT is in "CPU Thermal Config")....
    Like I said when I ran a stress test the system throttled after 5 minutes at about 78 deg which is way under 95 deg, so the Passive Trip Point setting can't be responsible for that throttling, right?
    It's rumoured that it's connected with the level of power consumption, so is the G74 and its power supply strong enough or is the throttling triggered for a good reason after all?
    I don't really know about the dangers, does anyone?
    On this Dell forum they say:
    ThrottleStop, brought to you by Unclewebb (developer of RealTemp) has been designed to combat the throttle "feature" Dell has implemented into the design of the XPS 1645 i7's BIOS. You WILL need a 130watt Dell branded adapter unless you understand how to limit your CPU through Throttlestop to keep it from blowing up your 90watt adapter (seriously).

Other:
    You used the lid magnet to boot the machine not just to turn on the screen?

(sorry for all the editing)
    Last edited by thesting; 01-03-2012 at 03:13 AM.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast