Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array zsld0423's Avatar

Thanks a ton for that info Lannigan! I'm going to be getting my G74SX-RH71 later today once I get it from UPS, and this bios fix will be one of the 1st things I do once I make my recovery discs Already have a SSD that I ordered installed with W8 dev preview and on my g60JX it boots up extremely fast, so I can't wait to get it in the g74 and get some games pumping out at max fps

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Just be aware the Recovery Disks, or ANY Recovery method you can implement, will not allow you to recover from a bad BIOS update. You'll need to RMA your laptop to ASUS to recover from a bad BIOS.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Just be aware the Recovery Disks, or ANY Recovery method you can implement, will not allow you to recover from a bad BIOS update. You'll need to RMA your laptop to ASUS to recover from a bad BIOS.
    Oh yeah of course, I know, but just from reading through the forums, most of the problems people have with the G74 is because of bad/old drivers the computer came with, so I wanted recovery discs before I wipe the drive and start fresh =P I'll start with the standard 203 bios update on ASUS's site and check to see what the throttling is like on my computer, but aside from changing the necessary things to turn off the throttling via the bios I haven't changed anything else with the editor

That's good, @zsld0423. My purpose in posting the warning was that new users could interpret your post as that flashing a BIOS which they've edited is no problem and they can always use the Recovery DVD's if they run into trouble. I wouldn't want anyone to think that.

I also wanted to emphasize that restoring to an earlier time with Windows System Restore, restoring an earlier System Image from Backup and Restore, or even a working Acronis partition image will not allow you to recover from a bad BIOS. I want people to be aware they are working without a safety net where the only recovery will be provided from an ASUS RMA.

EDIT: I removed the last sentence of this post because I do not want to encourage anyone to flash a modified BIOS.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 01-04-2012 at 01:42 AM.

That's good, @zsld0423. My purpose in posting the warning was that new users could interpret your post as that flashing a BIOS which they've edited is no problem. They can always use the Recovery DVD's if they run into trouble.

I also wanted to emphasize that restoring to an earlier time with Windows System Restore, restoring an earlier System Image from Backup and Restore, or even a working Acronis partition image will not allow you to recover from a bad BIOS. I want people to be aware they are working without a safety net where the only recovery will be provided from an ASUS RMA. If they are comfortable with that - have at it!
    Right, I should have mentioned that in my post. New users need to be aware that messing up the BIOS means you cannot recover it except for sending the laptop in. I've never edited a BIOS update myself before, but the instructions were very easy to go through and make changes myself. But everything else I'm completely comfortable with.

Edit: Also noticed in your signature that you're running your G74SX-A1 with the 202 BIOS. Any reason why you didn't go to 203? Or just everything running smoothly on 202 so no reason to upgrade it since it seems like it only fixes the 3D hotkey problem?

Edit again: Ah I see now, looks like the 203 update puts the NumLock at a constant "On", if that may be the reason? I may stay on 202 then since that happens after flashing the 203 update, since i'm not using the 3D model anyways that fix won't affect me
    Last edited by zsld0423; 01-03-2012 at 04:19 PM.

I made the decision to update my G74SX-A1 BIOS to possibly resolve a missing keystrokes issue. BIOS 203 had just been released, and though I realized it also contained all of the changes in 202, I didn't feel there was time for 203 feedback to be posted if it did cause problems. Since 203 wasn't offering anything of additional interest to me on my particular system, I decided to update to BIOS version 202.

BIOS 202 is where locking NumLock in the active state was first implemented. It was locked OFF in BIOS 201. As you posted, it is also locked ON in BIOS 203.

I made the decision to update my G74SX-A1 BIOS to possibly resolve a missing keystrokes issue. BIOS 203 had just been released, and though I realized it also contained all of the changes in 202, I didn't feel there was time for 203 feedback to be posted if it did cause problems. Since 203 wasn't offering anything of additional interest to me on my particular system, I decided to update to BIOS version 202.

BIOS 202 is where locking NumLock in the active state was first implemented. It was locked OFF in BIOS 201. As you posted, it is also locked ON in BIOS 203.
    Ah okay, then either 202 or 203 won't matter then since the NumLock "On" status will be affected. I always keep my NumLock on anyways, so it won't be any problem for me now that I think about it. I just downloaded and edited the 202 BIOS file to show the additional CPU config area and allow me to disable the BD-PROCHOT from within there. Now I play the waiting game with UPS

ROG Guru: White Belt Array WhirledNews's Avatar

Haha, it looks like Chastity has the time to post on the notebookreview.com forums but not on here, which is odd...

"Hi Lannigan,

I know that people get eager when new things become available, but I feel that some points need to be addressed:

1) I would prefer that we NOT encourage people to mod their BIOS themselves. The settings that Asus use are based on recommendations from Intel. The BD-PROCHOT was implemented for a reason. I would prefer we tweak the settings when the TCC trips rather than disable the thermal protection all-together.

I would also prefer having a beta BIOS released from us rather than hundreds of self-modded ones. This way we can maintain a measure of Quality Control.

2) You cannot enable Optimus successfully. In order to have it work, all the output from the NVIDIA GPU needs to pass-thru the Optimus video path. On our mobos, the Optimus video path is bypassed, and the NVIDIA GPU feeds directly out. Ergo, the black screen when Optimus is enabled.

Also, with the low idle clocks, you will not gain much from Optimus.

3) I've forwarded a request to the R&D teams to evaluate having the temp menu exposed in future BIOS releases for Sandy-based gaming machines.

As stated earlier, I'd rather get a mod BIOS out for the masses than rather having them mod it themselves. Murphy is inevitable, and can cause people to have to pay for fixes, since self-modding the BIOS is an instant warranty void.

Case: 1609604"

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...tling-fix.html

I particularly like this quote:
    "I would also prefer having a beta BIOS released from us rather than hundreds of self-modded ones. This way we can maintain a measure of Quality Control."

Yeah... so would we, but guess what, we havent heard anything from ASUS in a very long time so it seems like you don't give a sh!t.
    G74SX
    -Intel X25-M 80 GB Mainstream SATA II SSD
    -Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300

ROG Member Array

Wow, just wow. First off look I already proved that I could enable the intel onboard video, so the whole "its bypassed" is a load of crap. Putting that aside as Asus isnt the only one blowing smoke on this. Throttlestop....This has been an issue for the entire time the Sandybridge Asus laptops have been out, and yet the only fix that was offered was to run a program in the background. Assuming that a bios level fix was the only way to fix this issue, and that programming a new bios would be a difficult and time consuming procedure at best, we went along with it. I have proved that not only is it very simple and quick to implement the "fix" that Chastity has been backing (throttlestop to disable BD-Prochot) but further all of the options needed to fix this in the bios are already there and just disabled. I believe this proves just HOW BAD asus's customer support has gotten. I will say talking to their tech support on the phone was quite possible one of the worst and most laughable experiences I have had to date. I hope that the controversy that I have started will finally make them pull their head out of their @ss and stand behind what they are selling. We should not have to run third party applications or even worse, program our own bioses just to be able to use the hardware that we have paid for. Asus makes a nice computer at a nice pricepoint, but at the cost of some of the worst support I have ever come across. The issues that have plagued the G series laptops, and murdered peoples belief in the brand of Asus is a tragedy at best. Continuing blindly to produce new models that include all of the failures of the old and then blatently ignoring your customer base is down right criminal in my opinion. I hope regardless of opinions about me or what I may have caused that we will at least finally see official releases of Bioses that fix one of the very well known issues on this machine. Further I hope this will lead to Asus actually paying attention to these forums. I urge each and every one of you to not let this issue lie until they acknowledge it and fix it correctly. I am in complete agreement that one should not be modifying their own bios, but what choice have you guys given us?

Side note: What I am talking about with the magnetic lid switch is this: Those of you with "power button issues", what I have determined is this, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE POWER SWITCHES. If you ever start haveing issues where you have to press the switch more then once IE, press it 50 times to get the machine to power up, rubbing a magnet to reset the lid close switch actually "unlocks" the power button! I recieved my g53sw as many had DEAD ON ARRIVAL, the power button WOULD NOT power the machine on no matter how long it had been plugged in. I knew about this going in, and had read long and hard before purchasing this machine, there is a video on youtube talking about using the magnet to get the machine to power on. The jist of it is this: Asus is using a switch that is either faulty out of the box, or goes faulty with time (probably too powerful of magnet) what happens is the machine thinks the lid is closed when it is not, thus overiding the power button. This is a KNOWN issue and they are still shipping machines out that are defective, further and more disturbing it appears that upon RMA'ing for this issue that it is not permanetly fixed but rather it is fixed for a while until the switch once again starts malfunctioning. This either means that they dont care about use enough to do the simple thing and find a new supplier that can make this part correctly, or even after all the problems they have had with this issue, are to dumb to figure it out. I urge people that have issues to look for this video and try it and report back (we should start a new post) as I have never seen a report that leads me to believe the power on issue is anything but this!

Oh and you guys should also know that you cannot recover from a bad flash on an Asus ami aptio EFI machine at least partly because Asus has either: not given us the information on how to initiate the recovery mode, or has accidently or on purpose not enabled this mode. All ami aptio based machines have this ability, it is part of the core bios that the manufacturer then "customizes" to their wants and needs. I for one would like a response as to the procedure or why Asus disabled it. We all love our laptops, but its time that Asus either steps up their support or we look elsewhere for our next purchases.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

"Wow ..." is right!
    Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast