cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW changing HDD?

jedolley
Level 7
Hello all! I am strongly considering getting a G46VW and wanted to see if I can get a question answered first. If I went with this laptop I would be swapping out the HDD for a 2.5" SSD that I already own. I saw the disassembly video, but believe that was either geared towards complete disassembly or how to install the mSATA. Since I am looking to just swap out the HDD for a 2.5" SSD can someone point me towards more specific steps/video to this task? Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think you just swap HDD, it is OK.

Pitcher@asus wrote:
i think you just swap HDD, it is OK.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are trying to say... I know I can swap 2.5" HDD with 2.5" SSD, but the question was HOW? Is the HDD easily accessible or does it require a teardown to access like the mSATA? The only component I have seen that is easily accessible is the RAM. If there is something I am missing, I apologize, but I can't seem to find the answer for this.

Gio77
Level 7
You can use the video if you like and just stop at the part where the keyboard is removed. There will be the power connector to disconnect, HDD ribbon, and the 4 screws holding the HDD in place.
Asus G46VW-DH51 | i5-3230M | GeForce GTX 660M 2GB | 8GB Vengeance 1600 | Samsung 830 128GB SSD | Crucial M500 120GB mSATA | Broadcom 802.11ac | 1600*900 Res | Windows 8

Djask
Level 7
lol, you can swap out the hdd by removing the screws at the bottom of the laptop and taking the keyboard off. You should find the hdd bay. I personally didn't touch this and installed an MSATA instead. (and it is possible to upgrade the cpu) 😄
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate