Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS & different memory standards...

MoreBloodWine
Level 7
Memory Standard: DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066
Memory Standard: DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/ 1333/1066

Why do certain boards have different memory stands in respect to what need to be overclocked to work ?

I pulled these from two different boards on NewEgg, noticed how one has just 1866 while the other has 1866 O.C.

Well, here's the question... why would one board need to be OC to work with DDR3 1866 while the other does not when they both have the same processing socket (AM3+) along with other similarities ?

Edot: On the note of memory standards, would a board that doesnt list 1866 or any memory standard not be allowed to use it ?
MyU2Sig.com Gen Status: - Total unique user count:

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.
8 REPLIES 8

jewie27
Level 7
It probably has to do a lot more with the IMC on the processor than the socket itself. If it's not listed, it's not supported and even the OC values are not guaranteed.
New ROG PC built Nov 2011:
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Intel Core I5-2500K
(2) EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked in SLI
Corsair 600T
Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooling
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair Force 3 128GB SSD for boot drive
8GB Red Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24
1.5 TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Asus 12x Blu-Ray Writer

Built my first PC at age 12, Pentium III @ 450 Mhz.

jewie27 wrote:
It probably has to do a lot more with the IMC on the processor than the socket itself. If it's not listed, it's not supported and even the OC values are not guaranteed.
What do you mean, like if a board says it can accomodate 2133 that it might not be able to even though it says it can ?

Edit: If it has to do with the IMC on the processor then why would a board even have memory standard if it comes down to the processor in the end ?

That said, I can't seem to find any reliable information on what memory this CPU can accomodate. Don't get me wrong... I've found some info but nothing reliable in that each of the sites I find have varying information.

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

MoreBloodWine wrote:

Edit: If it has to do with the IMC on the processor then why would a board even have memory standard if it comes down to the processor in the end ?

I think you've somehow managed to come up with a notion that is wide of the mark when it comes to CPU manufacturer supported memory frequencies and overclocked frequencies that are qualified by a motherboard vendor. Might be worth emptying those notions and starting afresh. I say this because you keep talking about "memory standard" as it is some kind of arbitrary rule.

The only arbitrary rule for a board vendor to ensure works is the stock supported frequencies of the CPU - so the motherboard must at the very least be compliant up to the supported processor speeds - if the maximum supported DDR3 speed is DDR3-1600 then the motherboard must be able to at least guarantee stable operation of those speeds at stock processor voltages.

The IMC plays the biggest part in an overclocked frequency after that the board plays a part also to a lesser extent (the BIOS, power delivery and trace routing must be adequate) - hence enthusiast boards generally overclock better than white box bare bones products. Motherboard vendors test their boards at overclocked frequencies (by increasing past stock voltage) to show that those frequencies can be obtained on processors that will overclock to that level. It really is as simple as that.

So in short there are three primary parts to the puzzle:

1) A CPU that is capable of overclocking past its stock freqeuncy (luck of the draw when it comes to how well a CPU overclocks - some are better than others).

2) A board that is engineered well enough to overclock past stock frequency.

3) The right memory modules.

This should be enough to break it down for you.

-Raja

MoreBloodWine
Level 7
That more than does it Raja, now I just need to find a reliable souce of info for how high I can get this CPU to clock. 4.0 should be rather easy since it would be a .3 bump in speed but my goal, if possible is 4.5.

On top of that I need to find out what memory speeds play well with it when OC'd.

RIght now I got my eye on two nice, cheap pairs of DDR3 2000 & DDR3 1866.

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

MoreBloodWine wrote:
RIght now I got my eye on two nice, cheap pairs of DDR3 2000 & DDR3 1866.

Since when cheap = good OC ?

MarkedOne wrote:
Since when cheap = good OC ?

Cheap as in decently priced... not cheap as in the best piece of S I can find.

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

Area_66
Level 11
ah ok , me I call it good deal

MoreBloodWine
Level 7
When it comes to computers I dont buy garbage, sure I may buy to much than currently needed but I'd rather that than get crap that will burn out in 6 months lol.

I guess I could have said a good deal but cheap was what came to mind first heh

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.