cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice For Upgrading G75VW's RAM From 16GB To 32GB

Enigma
Level 9
I recently found a topic here about this (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25311-Upgrading-G75-DS73-to-32GB-only-boots-with-24GB). I understand that 32 GB wont help me with gaming performance, but I would still like to use it for running multiple VMs, high-end graphics design software, RAMdisks, etc.

In the topic above a user describes not being able to boot up with 32 GB, but still being able to boot with less. And he states that he was using Corsair Vengeance sticks, whereas his friend was using the exact same thing with no ill effects. Now I'm a little wary of buying those since I might end up with the same issue and have to go thru the hassle of returning an otherwise perfectly good product. Later in that thread another user mentions buying Mushkin sticks and had no issues.

I know next to nothing about RAM or what the specs of the sticks I buy should be ( I do know how to install them properly though). Or what role timings, MHz, dual-channel (?), etc play in all of this. I just need something that's at least as fast as the sticks I already have and will give good performance, preferably it should also be viable for RAM overclocking and other tweaks. I still have the stocks sticks and they're perfectly fine, so I figure there's no use in buying 4 8GB sticks. Do all 4 sticks necessarily need to be the same manufacturer/type? Or can 2 be different from the stock sticks as long as they have similar specs? I think I'll probably go with the Mushkin chips unless someone can recommend something better. I'm also seeing some users here with the same/similar laptop as me and they have G.Skill in their signatures. Just figured I'd get a few questions answered before I go ahead with a purchase.

Thanks for any advice?
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".
27 REPLIES 27

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well since you going for 32 GB you will have to install 4 8GB sticks there would be no reason to mix or match, of course you would purchase all the same brand etc.?
Timings are critical suggest you run Hwinfo64 that will give you all the data on your current RAM and timings, voltages etc. required.
You realize that to get to the 2 ram slots internal you will void your Warranty?
I think I would stick with the stock Ram specs. other spec ram may work or not.
There have been a few threads where people have had successes and failures with different brands and specs.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Enigma
Level 9
I really dont see why I cant just mix and match instead of buying 4 identical ram sticks. RAM is expensive and I'm on a limited budget, I'm not like some other gamers here that have thousands to burn on a whim. The 2 sticks I have are perfectly fine. So if I buy 2 more sticks that have specs that are the same as the stock ram sticks, then why wouldnt that be ok instead? I've had mixed and matched RAM with no issues in laptopsbefore so I know it's possible. Maybe someone can list some valid reasons why all 4 sticks NEED to be 100% identical? Will mixing and matching affect performance?

2nd, I only see TWO stick slots when I open the laptop. It's safe to assume that what is in there is x2 8GB, since I have a total of 16 GB. So it looks like if I want 32 GB then I'm going to have to buy 2 16GB sticks. But I do see something just underneath that and it doesnt appear to be easily accessible, I'm not sure if it's more RAM slots or not.

As for my warranty, I dont really care, I void the warranty on all electronics I buy (rooting my phone, messing with areas that are designated as serviceable only by the manufacturer or an authorized rep, etc.)
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".

hi @Enigma, check this out.

in your case, please use hwinfo64 to get the specifications of your stock ram first, then use that information to look for the matching ones. note that most of us have 4gb sticks instead of 8gb; so the compatible ram list in the above link might not be useful to you.

yes, you can mix and match the ram, as long as the new ram are fully compatible with the ones already in your laptop.

Enigma wrote:
I really dont see why I cant just mix and match instead of buying 4 identical ram sticks. RAM is expensive and I'm on a limited budget, I'm not like some other gamers here that have thousands to burn on a whim. The 2 sticks I have are perfectly fine. So if I buy 2 more sticks that have specs that are the same as the stock ram sticks, then why wouldnt that be ok instead? I've had mixed and matched RAM with no issues in laptopsbefore so I know it's possible. Maybe someone can list some valid reasons why all 4 sticks NEED to be 100% identical? Will mixing and matching affect performance?

2nd, I only see TWO stick slots when I open the laptop. It's safe to assume that what is in there is x2 8GB, since I have a total of 16 GB. So it looks like if I want 32 GB then I'm going to have to buy 2 16GB sticks. But I do see something just underneath that and it doesnt appear to be easily accessible, I'm not sure if it's more RAM slots or not.

As for my warranty, I dont really care, I void the warranty on all electronics I buy (rooting my phone, messing with areas that are designated as serviceable only by the manufacturer or an authorized rep, etc.)

Well I think if you look into to things you'll find that the 2 sticks you can see are 4 GB each under your keyboard there are two more slots that also contain 2 4 GB stick? At least that is what is common for G75 with 16 GB of Ram. So If you want to have 32 GB you'll have to change all 4 slots to 8 GB sticks.
How ever you could change the top 2 slots that you can get to 8 GB and end up with 24 GB?
Voiding the Warrant comes in as to get to them internal Stick you'll pretty much have to completely dissemble your NB there under your keyboard.
Here is a link to a video of a complete dissemble, there are others but this one is pretty through. dissembling a G75. Several of the people here have accomplished what you want to do perhaps they'll chime in with some links to the threads on this subject.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

i'm confused now.. @Enigma, g75 has 4 ram slots; 2 are hidden, while another 2 are exposed. from what i've read, you saw TWO stick slots (the two that are accessible). are they empty slots or occupied with 2 sticks of ram? if they are occupied, that means @Clintlgm is right, you have the option to replace the accessible ones with 2x8gb to get a total of 24gb, or if you need 32gb, you need to replace all the ram with 4x8gb.

Pitcher1
Level 9
other 2 slot under KB, but asus not agree user disassembly KB, so it will void warranty, if you want to change those 2 RMA, i suggest you send back to service center to change or store where you bought.

cgren
Level 7
Guys, have you heard the news on the net regarding the 320.18 drivers damaging GPU's? there are proofs on that, after reading that i switch back to 314 for the mean time

here's the link on the news
http://modcrash.com/nvidia-display-driver-damaging-gpus/#.Ua2wNtz0yxW

Djask
Level 7
Lol, I personally don't have problems with the new drivers, and the only major problem I did have was installing the drivers, and that was actually my own fault, as I accidentally installed two drivers at the same time. 😮
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate

Djask
Level 7
And if you REALLY want to save money and upgrade to 32GB by just adding two more sticks, you'll need the exact same model of RAM that you currently have. I'd just go with 4 8GB sticks that are new and much better performance than the stock RAM such as Corsair Vengeance.
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate