cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G72GX freezing when playing games

ohiozchiefzfan2
Level 7
Hello,

I bought my G72GX about 1 1/2 years ago, i have just recently been experiencing A LOT of freezes, at least once a day. It usually occurs when I'm playing WoW but occasionly freezes on Starcraft or when i'm using google chrome it also happened whenever i entered a call on skype it would freeze up within 1 minute of starting the call (i was running WoW at the same time of google chrome/skype when it freezes). When it freezes i have to manually shut it off as i cannot do anything whatsoever. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do as i thought the cause was overheating but that was not it. Please help if possible.
10 REPLIES 10

Chastity
Level 10
Someone else had this issue. Turn off Hardware Acceleration in Chrome.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

I uninstalled chrome. I just froze up again though. Nothing was running in the background. All that was running was WoW.

I now cannot do anything on my computer, i turn it on and within 5 minutes of starting up it freezes and i have to manually shut it off. I don't know whats going on. Please help =/
Thanks

xeromist
You said that you thought it was heat, but it isn't? What were your steps that you took to discover this? It might help us help you. Regardless, if you have cleaned out the vents with canned air recently, I would do that anyway. It's an important preventative maintenance step that many people aren't aware of.

Also, I would look in the Windows Event Log/Viewer to see if anything is showing up there that appears at the same time as your freezes. Since it is locking up you don't have an error message; this could be difficult to track down.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I took it in to Geek Squad to see if i may have had a bad fan but that wasn't it, it was just buildup. And i will do that. I'll update with what it says in the event log/viewer.

Update: I took a look at the event log/viewer and it doesnt seem like anything is going on when it freezes. It just shows the freezes with nothing else going on at the time of the freeze so i do not know what could be causing this problem.

xeromist
Without an error message or diagnostic log it is going to be difficult to narrow down. I would start by disabling as many extra things running on startup as possible. Run msconfig from the windows run box and look at the startup items. Some are cryptic but if you look at the path, anything in program files can be disabled and many other things you will recognize the name.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I was thinking about taking it in for service because i can't pinpoint what is causing the freezing.

xeromist
That would be my recommendation at this point.

Chastity
Level 10
The freezing is more than likely a software issue than hardware. Before sending it for an RMA, try restoring your system to factory new, and see if it goes away.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]