cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair II Hot Swap Hard Drives

NickT
Level 9
Im not even sure after reading the manual that this board can do this. I DO NOT want to use this feature, but the issue I'm having leads me to believe that it does and is the problem. This is just a repurposed computer for a young child and do not want him accidently disconnected the drives via the way mentioned below.

I'm seeing both Hard Drives (Sata 3 Identical Make) showing up on Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate as removeable by the Icon that Shows USB Devices near the Time Clock (System Tray). And of course I can click on it and it will disappear from use and I can restart and their it is. I have the Drives Set as ACHI in the Bios under the MCP option and upon boot it displays on the on Board Controller Brief Info.

I cannot find in the BIOS how to turn this feature OFF.

Any help would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15
On the newer ROG motherboards, you can disable the hot swapping option in the BIOS. I'm not familiar with the BIOS for your motherboard but if you've already did a detail search and haven't found it, then your motherboard probably doesn't have this option. Nevertheless there is a workaround.

What you need to do is open Device Manager. Look for your hard drive and right click it top open a menu. Select Properties, then Policies. By default Better Performance is selected. Change it to Quick Removal and you should be good to go.

Any other thoughts on this? Someone Familiar with the BIOS on These Boards? Point me to where I shut it off in the Bios. It seems during a google search I did you can, But I spent a decent amount of time and cannot find it, cept to use that Crossbow's Cross Hair and take the whole computer out! :cool: