cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Monitor Annoyances..Please Read

dogfart
Level 7
Hello, Ive set up dual monitors on my G75VW. HDMI out to digital TV. I use the "extended" mode mostly. Everything works great but am having two small annoyances. The thing is everytime I reboot, the damn thing starts up on the 2nd monitor instead of my laptop, even if the 2nd monitor is off. I thought Id bricked my laptop at first. I used the fn+f8 key combination to switch to 2nd monitor and there was Windows just waiting on me...lol. Anyways after rebooting I must hit the fn+f8 key combination twice to bring up my laptop screen (monitor 1). It would be great if windows would show on my laptop screen first. BTW this happens in both modes, extened and duplicated.

The 2nd thing is closing an application on the second monitor. If I close an application on the second monitor then that application will always start up on second monitor, whether it is turned on or not. If I run an application on second monitor I must drag it back to monitor 1 first, then close it. This happens in "extended" mode only. I could sure use some help with these two annoyances. Thanx
4 REPLIES 4

dstrakele
Level 14
In the screen resolution Dialog, you can choose which of the monitors will be your "Main" display and contain the desktop. Try switching ths to your external monitor. Personally, I don't do this since I do not always use the external monitor. I understand the Splash Screen will not appear on the laptop display and live with it.

The behavior you describe in the 2nd paragraph of your OP is how an extended monitor works. You are distributing your 'single' desktop real estate between 2 monitors. If you look at a screen shot of this configuration, it is more apparent.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele
Level 14
In the screen resolution Dialog, you can choose which of the monitors will be your "Main" display and contain the desktop. Try switching ths to your external monitor. Personally, I don't do this since I do not always use the external monitor. I understand the Splash Screen will not appear on the laptop display and live with it.

The behavior you describe in the 2nd paragraph of your OP is how an extended monitor works. You are distributing your 'single' desktop real estate between 2 monitors.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

MauricioNO
Level 7
It seems windows "thinks" your main screen is the external one. You can change that by going to the "Screen resolution" menu, and choosing your notebook screen as the main, this way whenever you turn it on, it should appear on the notebook screen.
I use a 27" monitor, so I don't really need my laptop screen, so it's always on "Second screen only", and as soon as I plug the HDMI, even if the monitor is off, the notebook's screen goes black instantly.

About applications running on the second screen, as far as I know, I don't think there is a workaround to that. It remembers where it was last closed and that is where it is going to open again. The only way for it to popup on your notebook screen, is if its not on extend mode, but on "PC screen only" instead.

MauricioNO wrote:
It seems windows "thinks" your main screen is the external one. You can change that by going to the "Screen resolution" menu, and choosing your notebook screen as the main, this way whenever you turn it on, it should appear on the notebook screen.
I use a 27" monitor, so I don't really need my laptop screen, so it's always on "Second screen only", and as soon as I plug the HDMI, even if the monitor is off, the notebook's screen goes black instantly.

About applications running on the second screen, as far as I know, I don't think there is a workaround to that. It remembers where it was last closed and that is where it is going to open again. The only way for it to popup on your notebook screen, is if its not on extend mode, but on "PC screen only" instead.

Yes Ive done that but it doesnt work...still starts up on external monitor. Crazy hing has a mind of its own...lol