cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Buildlog]Shadow Bench

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to My 1st ever scratch build project.........

A couple of weekends ago, out of sheer boredom I decided to finally put pencil to paper and came up with this basic design for how the bench would look from the side:

I had recently seen a few pics of Primochill's "Wet Bench" on Facebook and decided I had to "try" and come up with something new myself. So I decided as I work on the design I might borrow a few ideas from the wet bench, mostly so far the one idea I really liked was the use of "pass through" connection points for the liquid cooling setup. Anyway, last week I was talking about my design with a new mate of mine and he suggested that I use styrofoam and build myself a 3D mockup of my bench...since I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use Sketchup....hence my crappy hand drawing lol 😛 so tonight sitting in front of my pc and going out of my mind from boredom again and realizing that since my backside is broke, I can't get any styrofoam. I was out the back and it hit me!!! my Sister had recently bought her 2yr old daughter a toddler sized bed....PERFECT!!!! the box hadn't been broken down, so I grabbed the cardboard box, my crummy hand drawings, my pencil, a Meter steel ruler, a sharpie and a pair of scissors and set about working on building the 3D model of my test bench 😄

Marking out some basic lines in pencil, yes, that box is freaking huuuuge :eek:

Using my trusty sharpie to go over the lines - side panel

Cutting out said side panel with scissors. Note to self: find your bloody stanley knife(retractable razor cutter) before you mess with more cardboard later on ya moron!! :rolleyes:

Marking out the "Motherboard tray area":

Motherboard tray cut out:

Measured then cut out the bottom tray, for PSU, HDD, SSD & most likely a fan controller:

All 4 main pieces together, looking fairly ok lol:

Hmmm, seems I missed a pic that I thought I took, before assembling of the model began, I was wondering how i'd put it all together...mostly keeping the bottom "tray" to stay put...then I had a little brainy moment and used some brass screws to hold the tray up, then used some tape to hold it in place.

Starting to slowly assemble:

Got through assembly, though the damn thing kept falling side to side...lack of structural integrity of course!! duh me...I forgot the back panel for an up to a 360mm rad!!! here it is, measured and cut:

Aaaand here it is, fully assembled, only took me just a bit over 2 hours to measure, cut and assemble...even with a pair of crappy scissors lol
Front View:

Top-down front view:

Side view:

Rear view:

Apologies for the crap pics, but these were taken with my Samsung Galaxy SII 😛
87 REPLIES 87

HiVizMan
Level 40
Looking good Myk - what are you planning on making the bench out of material wise?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Thanks Viz, I was thinking most likely arcylic, black...just need to find somewhere I can have it all cut for me lol

Adhy_Dharma_FN
Level 7
Great concept. I very very like it:D
Next Build
- AMD Vishera FX-8350
- AMD Radeon HD 7870

Adhy Dharma FN wrote:
Great concept. I very very like it:D

Thank you, hopefully the final product will look a lot better lol 😛

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
~Update~ Just got my 1st new toys for my bench in the mail today 😄 was expecting these tomorrow hehe

You can't tell, but that is an i7 3820 in the socket 😄

UltraHooligan
Level 7
Ooh nice concept. Look forward to the complete build 🙂
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 | MB: Rampage IV Extreme | CPU: Intel Core I7 3930k @ 4.8Ghz | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 | GPU: 2x Asus GTX670 DCII OC 2GB | HDDs: Samsung EVO 250GB + Crucial M4 128GB + Intel X25-M 80GB + 3x WD 1TB | ODD: Asus DRW-24B1LT | PSU: Seasonic X -750W | Cooling: H100 with SP120 Fans push/pull

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ooooh shiney - you are so going to love Summer Sizzler.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

UltraHooligan wrote:
Ooh nice concept. Look forward to the complete build 🙂

Thanks mate, i'm *hoping* to have pretty much all of the mock build done by Sunday, then, I have to find somewhere to get all the acrylic...thinking of getting the top, back panel and legs as one piece of black acrylic and im thinking of getting some acrylic inlaying with "Shadow Bench" in Red

HiVizMan wrote:
Ooooh shiney - you are so going to love Summer Sizzler.

Hahaha, yeah...I gotta get the cash together to buy the acrylic 1st, got a huge bill late last week. Was great to see it come today

HiVizMan
Level 40
Build your first model out of wood. Trust me on this one. Cheap plywood. Or marine ply if you are flash.