cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Extreme + i7-4770K VS Rampage IV Extreme + i7-3930K

mlx_milano
Level 7
Hi,

as mentioned in another thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33360 I am going to build my first system. Initially I was going for a Rampage IV Extreme plus an i7-3930K. However now I am not sure that this is the correct choice for me, and maybe I should go for an asus Maximus VI Extreme plus the i7-4770K. The system should be mainly oriented to gaming, movies, and classical desktop operation.

From the point of view of performances it seems that i7-3930K is around 20% faster than the i7-4770K:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

However, the i7-3930K has 6 cores, and I am not sure that they will be well used by games. Moreover, the Maximus VI has the new Z87 chip, plus a set of additional features that seem new and better (e.g., USB 3, Wi-Fi, etc..)

From the price view-point with a Maximus VI Extreme + i7-4770K I will save about 200 $ with respect to the other configuration.

What do you suggest?
Thank you a lot for any help! 😉
13 REPLIES 13

HiVizMan
Level 40
That benchmark that you posted needs to be unpacked before you can make a judgement of better or not. The bench is geared towards multiple cores. So the more cores you have the better you will score. That does not make the CPU better or not. 🙂

3770K out performs the LGA2011 platform Mhz to MHz and Haswell the 4770K is about 10% more efficient than the 3770K on a single thread.

Right now the 4770K is a good option. In 6 months time there will be another option, and in six months after that another. You get the picture. 😛
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

superzila
Level 7
Why not... i like Maximus VI Extreme + i7-4770K because i will overlock processor and use watercool and it will be enough for me. But i dont know what will be better Miximus VI Extreme or VI Hero.
Here http://www.passmark.com/baselines/top.html you can see best benchmarked systems.
You can ask people who have Maximus VI Extreme + i7-4770K and Rampage IV Extreme + i7-3930K to make this Performance test 8
http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm and see results.
But results depends of many components like software updates, drivers, RAM, HDD, SDD, overlock
Will be good if Admins make a section of the forum about system benchmarks. 3D mark, Unheaven engine, Performance test, Everest.
Links on benchmakrs, results + screenshot + your system config.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The Hero would be a great board for someone who is going to overclock for fun, and game a lot.

The extreme is a great board aimed at the serious (pro) bencher and overclocker who will be going sub zero with LN2.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

superzila
Level 7
I don't know how to overlock something (processor, RAM or Videocard) but people who have asus ROG motherboard says that it very easy with it. because ASUS makes it special for overlocking and makes special programms
What is better, 4 channel motherboard, 2x 8GB (=16GB) RAM 2133 or 4x 4GB RAM (=16GB) 2133 ?

superzila
Level 7
I don't know how to overlock something (processor, RAM or Videocard) but people who have asus ROG motherboard says that it very easy with it. because ASUS makes it special for overlocking and makes special programms
What is better, 4 channel motherboard, 2x 8GB (=16GB) RAM 2133 or 4x 4GB RAM (=16GB) 2133 ?

HiVizMan
Level 40
The more sticks of ram you have the harder you CPU (processor) has to work. Remember the memory controller is on the processor with the latest Intel and AMD processors.

If you are a first time Overclocker I can honestly tell you that the Extreme board is not the board for you. I would suggest the Hero or the Formula are more suited.

There will be a very good guide posted in the forum for first time overclockers and I would say read our ROG guides first before you start. The most important thing for overclocking is cooling.

superzila
Level 7
If I understood correctly, 1 stick of RAM 16 GB will be less CPU-intensive, less CPU load than 4 sticks of 4 GB ( in 4 channel ROG motherboard)
Total both RAM have 16 GB memory
I thought differently
Like Intel processor have hyper threading, like nVidia have SLI mode, Radeon crossfire, like 2 CPU in server motherboard... it makes better...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Let me explain a few things here.

Dual channel is better than single stick for performance assuming the capacity and timings are the same. A single stick is easier to clock for a CPU. Two different things.

No LGA1150 CPU (Hasewell) is quad channel only LGA2011 is quad channel.

You can put four sticks on a Haswell motherboard, they will work in dual channel not quad channel. The number or sticks of memory does not indicate the memory channel, it meerly tells us how many sticks of ram are present.

Fewer sticks of ram are easier for the IMC of the processor to clock than many sticks of ram. Think of juggling balls. It is easier to juggle two than four.

More does not always equal better. Multi graphic cards for example. You do not get double the performance with two cards, nor three times the performance with three.

If a two CPU server motherboard was the best then why do people not buy them for gaming? 🙂 It is because they do different jobs. The hardware a person buys must suite the job that the person wants done.

HiVizMan wrote:

Fewer sticks of ram are easier for the IMC of the processor to clock than many sticks of ram.

What should we be considering on the dual channel kits as far as RAM capacity for the MVIE Z87 ...
... 2 x 4gb = 8gb vs. 2 x 8gb = 16gb ...

Does the above only apply to the # of RAM sticks, or does it also apply to the total RAM capacity ...
... or to both ?
- M4EZ - 1: 3510 - 2: 1004 / i7-2600K / Redline 2133 16GB / Win7 Pro x64
- v.3510 / 8.0.0.1351 - v.8.1.0.1263 / 10.8.0.1303 - v.11.2.0.1006
- RevoDrive3x2 240GB - OS / Vector 256GB x2 RAID0 - OS / Vertex3 MI 120GB - OS / P'9230 3.0 2TB - B/U
- 9260-8i BBU - CacheCade Pro Vertex3 120GBx2 RAID0 SSD Caching - Const ES SAS RAID10 GHS - Data
- GTX580 3GB HC2 / Xonar Essence STX / ST1200G / TJ10B-W / ZR30w / SP 2500 2.1
- Water: Swiftech/Koolance/Tygon/EVGA/MIPS - Wind: SST/Noctua/Cougar