cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ouch my Asus G55v gets really hot, is this normal?

niksa83
Level 7
I have roughly 6 months old Asus g55 laptop. Since day one it has felt very hot as in there is no way in hell i could imagine keeping this thing in my lap while playing.

Under normal stress aka playing games such as: max payne 3, Shogun 2 total war, The witcher 2, etc etc.
GPU tops at 84 - 86 celsius

CPU's were as follow:
Core#0 :94 celsius
Core#1 :94 celsius
Core#2 :96 celsius
Core#3 :95 celsius
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ran Prime95 with heaviest stress testing with all cores activated and the CPU temps were as follow:

Core#0 :102 celsius
Core#1 :102 celsius
Core#2 :104 celsius
Core#3 :103 celsius

As a side note i did use compressed air can to clean the heat sinks before these test.

Should i feel somekind of suction of air from the left side coolin area because as far as i know it does not suck air in or out?

Idle temperatures are 50 to 51 celsius.
14 REPLIES 14

ggBanks
Level 10
Your problem is the thermal paste and maybe the dust inside. Now you said you used compressed air but that is just a temporary fix for the dust and it does not remove much of it. What you have to do is disassemble your laptop and repaste your CPU and GPU. You have to use a quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 or IC Diamond.

niksa83
Level 7
6 months old computer shouldn't have these kind of problems in the first place. There seem to be loads of other people too complaining about the oddly high temperatures. I dont know how to take a part a laptop as i have never done it before. Im sure im going to break it and lose rest of the warranty thing......

niksa83 wrote:
6 months old computer shouldn't have these kind of problems in the first place. There seem to be loads of other people too complaining about the oddly high temperatures. I dont know how to take a part a laptop as i have never done it before. Im sure im going to break it and lose rest of the warranty thing......

You do need to be careful, as the procedure is long and somewhat complicated. There are teardowns on the internet, so you should be able to do it! 🙂 As to the issues of airflow, you should feel something. Your temperatures are way too high. When compiling the LINUX kernel with all 4 (8) cores (threads) going, my G53SX gets up to about 86 C on the CPU. I don't game much, so I don't have a good reference for the GPU, which does idl around 50 C in LINUX (lower in Windows).
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

niksa83 wrote:

when the laptop is under asus warranty, it's better to find out the nearest service center and send it in for maintenance. state clearly your temperature is way too high and request cleanup (fans and vents) and replacement of thermal paste (or else they might misdiagnose and do something else to your laptop).

to be frank, these laptops can be disassembled relatively easily with the helps of online tutorials at youtube or this one (for g75vw but i guess it's just similar to g75vx).

all you need is patience (it has a lot of screws). just remember there is no need to apply excessive force to open anything up.

Djask
Level 7
Change the thermal paste, it will help alot. 🙂
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate

ggBanks
Level 10
Usually it is already known that manufacturers use cheap thermal pastes when it comes to building computers. When I repasted my CPU and GPU myself I gained 5-8 degrees drops on the temps. My CPU Idle used to be 50-55 and now it is 40-50 depending on what program starts on the start up of Windows. Definitely repastig is what you need, and personally I do not recommend ASUS services, because I know from experience that sometimes they just do not know how to do their job right. I had my computer RMA-ed twice, first time they put so little paste on the GPU that in idle it was 67 degrees and when I opened the computer it was covering 1/5 of the GPU die. And the second time they did not even bother to change the paste, because when I opened it afterwards it was my old paste on the CPU and GPU which is Arctic Silver Ceramique 2, and they never use that kind of paste.

Now that all that is out of the way. LEt's talk about the cooling system and the fail safe temperatures.

Left handed side is suposed to suck air IN
right handed side is suposed to blow hot air OUT
Is that correct?

I can definetly feel hot air coming out of the right hand side BUT i swear there is literaly very little sucsion of air from the left side coolin area even under extreme stress.

Does anyone know, at what point the computer will shut itself down?
How much heat the CPU is designed to withstand? I have the 3610QM processor.

Sorry double post.

niksa83
Level 7
So my options are pretty much.

A. Open it up myself,repaste,hope i dont break anything,lose warranty.
B. Contact the place that sold it to me,send it to them,hope they do something to it,wait weeks or even months,keep warranty.
C. I'll just forget about it and let the computer fry, when it finally dies i hope i have warranty left so i can get it replaced.