cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 480 SLI or GTX Titan....

djdelirius
Level 10
So I'm building a new setup and was wondering if I should buy 2 more GTX 480s to go with the 1 I have so far or just buy a new GTX Titan? It'll go with Extreme VI, I7-4770k, Dominator 8gb 2666, H100i and CM Trooper case.
22 REPLIES 22

HiVizMan
Level 40
A single Titan will be the better option in my view.

480 is quite old tech and therefore hard to find comparisons against the Titan directly. But tri-Sli is not 3x the performance of a single card as you know.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372

Here is a good place you can see some comparisons. it will require you switching between the 2012 and 2013 GPU options and a old fashioned pen and paper to get some idea of how they compare.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Get the Titan I reckon....best single card option is always well....best.....and it might seem a bit expensive now but wait till you see the power bill for GTX480 SLI 😉

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_480_3_way_sli_review,25.html

kkn
Level 14
780 or titan.

Arabicuser
Level 7
Titan or 780 😄
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX Titan Windforce
Patriot Viper 32GB[4x 8GB] 2133MHz
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Western Digital Black Caviar 2TB 7200rpm
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X

Zka17
Level 16
I have 3xGTX480s and tried the Titans too... - get the Titan! :cool:

Reasons: the GTX480s are like ovens, they're producing a lot more heat than a Titan will be ever able to... the GTX480s are also very power hungry... (you gonna need a huge PSU for them) As it was said before, the GTX480s are the old technology...

djdelirius
Level 10
OK, so Titan. Anyone know what card the RoG Poseidon is going to fit?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The Poseidon cards are going to be 700 series....the cooler will be fitted to a card as an all in one

Arabicuser
Level 7
I am now at the lest step, getting a GPU, but now i left with 3 options, i would like some help or guide for my final decision.

I want to buy a strong GPU and i narrowed my choice to one of the following 3:

1. GTX Titan

2. GTX 690 [in many tests i saw, this card even beating the Titan on some benchmarks, so it is to be considered as well]

3. 2 GTX 780, because it is cheaper than 2 above i can manage to get 2, in fact i can even get 3 but only 2 now and the other after 2-3 months by now

In all cases, the budget of above is in range of $1000-1300

I am not sure if SLI is a good idea as i heard even it may increase performance but it will have some issues and it will not increase by double i know, but i have to choose something that will last me for at least 3 years, after 3 years who knows what will be there.

If you ask about how many monitors as usual question then i said i may go up to 3, believe me, if i can go up to 5 i will do, so i want to get an overkill card now that will handle any addition in the future rather than i buy something cheaper and then later i have to change card because i add more resolutions.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX Titan Windforce
Patriot Viper 32GB[4x 8GB] 2133MHz
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Western Digital Black Caviar 2TB 7200rpm
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X