cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE keeps on shutting off randomly under heavy load.

booya
Level 7
Hello.

In which cases the board can turn the power off and power it on again under Far Cry 3? I'm not playing, just leaving the computer for a few hours while camera is pointed to the place where all cards have 99% load.

- incorrect overclock of graphic cards (so why MB shuts off?)
- incorrect CPU/RAM overclock (but Prime 95 during 15 hrs can't find anything, LinX during 3+ hrs)

It can occur in the range of one to 8+ hours (thats the problem, it's hard to catch it). To me it looks strange. In all that time have been replaced: CPU, RAM, PSU, SSD and MB.

It could be the cards?
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
Does this happen when your system is at default? If no then your OC is not stable for that game.

Stress tests do not mean your system is stable, they only mean your system can pass that stress test. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would normally say look to memory for this kind of thing first......but it might be drivers crashing etc. any clues from event viewer? Any flickering lights in the house....you having power outs or anything of that sort?

Though, If you have tried replacing everything maybe does point to cards....try running them at stock does this still happen? maybe try running them PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0.....there are signalling issues with 3.0 sometimes.....

Melting_Point
Level 10
Try using PCIe 2.0 and see if that fixes it. It may be related to the know PCIe 3.0 issue.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

HiVizMan wrote:
Does this happen when your system is at default? If no then your OC is not stable for that game.

Stress tests do not mean your system is stable, they only mean your system can pass that stress test. 🙂

Could this be incorrect OC of my cards? I think @ 1137 MHz I have no such problems. During 12 hrs under FC3 all was OK, then another "tests" for 2-3 hrs.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I would normally say look to memory for this kind of thing first......but it might be drivers crashing etc. any clues from event viewer? Any flickering lights in the house....you having power outs or anything of that sort?

Though, If you have tried replacing everything maybe does point to cards....try running them at stock does this still happen? maybe try running them PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0.....there are signalling issues with 3.0 sometimes.....

I can say only one thing about RAM - Memtest few passes (at 2400 MHz), 15 hrs under P95 Blend and 3 hrs under LinX. But sure it's OC'ed (2400 MHz, like it should be).

In event viewer - nothing.

PSU is connected to APC SUA2200I. And I even tried P95 + 3DMark (Fire strike) together, so it was even higher load - nothing, even with higher GPU clocks.

So if it's incorrect GPU OC, why motherboard will cut power off for a few secs? What about black screens etc.? I mean normal things for that kind of situations.

Or maybe it's not GPU? Not enough VTT? VCCSA? But Why @ 1137 MHz works OK? Or maybe this is a coincidence?

I've also connected power cable to onboard PCI-e connector (like always).

Melting Point wrote:
Try using PCIe 2.0 and see if that fixes it. It may be related to the know PCIe 3.0 issue.

There is one strange thing - I had that problems earlier even with one card (at stock) and even in PCI-e 2.0. But after that I've changed PSU, CPU, MB and MEM, and also started my CPU/MEM OC from scratch.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Based on what you have just said could you share what cooling you have over your VRM area. Your sig is too small text wise for me to read it properly on my phone 😞 So apologies for asking when I know you have listed.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

doze
Level 7
If you are running 4102, go back to 4004... it is the PCH fan not spinning (cooling)... only takes out the system in various ways under load.

doze wrote:
If you are running 4102, go back to 4004... it is the PCH fan not spinning (cooling)... only takes out the system in various ways under load.

Very good point, how long ago did this behaviour start? And, are you able to tie it in with a BIOS update at all?

booya
Level 7
Hello! It was a PSU! As soon as I start 3DMark11 + P95 (Small FFT), power shuts off immediately with AX1200i. With Platimax 1500 it's OK and I can see that it consumes up to 1375 W from the wall. But anyway it's just a little more than 1200 W from PSU.

Why under Far Cry 3 it can happen? AX1200i must hold that load. So I think my AX1200i can be defective (e.g. incorrectly configured Over Current Protection). This PSU is too clever and user can modify OCP via Corsair link software (I have not touched this settings so it was disabled). And I think something inside this PSU is wrong.

But first time when I had power off under Far Cry 3 even with one card and with Platimax 1500, it's was a RAM problem as I can see. Is it possible?

And I thought that when PSU's overload protection will be activated it will never power up itself again. Or maybe it was some undervoltage at 3.3/5/12V. But I monitored 5V and 12V with voltmeter 😞 So 3.3V? And RIVE just shut off the power...

I have Anti-Surge Protection disabled in BIOS and all power connectors on the board are in use: EATXPWR, EATX12V_1, EATX12V_2, EZ-PLUG_1 and EZ-PLUG_2.

HiVizMan
>Based on what you have just said could you share what cooling you have over your VRM area.
I have a VRM water block from EK :rolleyes:

doze
>If you are running 4102, go back to 4004... it is the PCH fan not spinning (cooling)... only takes out the system in various ways under load.
In this zone I have a water block from Koolance. Kinda mutant-water cooling (EK+Koolance) 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
The joy of PSU causing hassles again.

Yeah makes complete sense and good on you for checking.