cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory: When does anything above 1600...

MoreBloodWine
Level 7
In regards to memory, when does anything above 1600 become useful ?

ex. 2133, 2000, 1866 etc...

I keep hearing mixed reviews... most of what I hear though is that it's doesnt boost anything much.

I only really started to think about this after reading MarkedOne telling people anything over 1600 is a waste of money. It's not just him though, some people have similar thoughts but are just saying all you really need is 1600.
MyU2Sig.com Gen Status: - Total unique user count:

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.
14 REPLIES 14

Raja
Level 13
There aren't many real world applications that see a tangible performance gain to memory speeds over DDR3-1600. Modern memory controller architectures reorder requests to increase efficiency, which improves open page hits drastically. Tie that together with interleaving and you generally have enough bandwidth at DDR3-1600 to keep the cores fed with data.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
There aren't many real world applications that see a tangible performance gain to memory speeds over DDR3-1600. Modern memory controller architectures reorder requests to increase efficiency, which improves open page hits drastically. Tie that together with interleaving and you generally have enough bandwidth at DDR3-1600 to keep the cores fed with data.

So a system with for arguments sake 16GB DDR3 1600 would be just fine then, thats good to know but being thats the case. I may shoot myself in the foot with this one but if thats the case, why is memory marketed up to a current 2133 sandard ?

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

MoreBloodWine wrote:
So a system with for arguments sake 16GB DDR3 1600 would be just fine then, thats good to know but being thats the case. I may shoot myself in the foot with this one but if thats the case, why is memory marketed up to a current 2133 sandard ?

Provided the latency scales with frequency there are some very small gains to be had in certain scenarios. Benchmarking fanatics will choose the fastest memory for one thing. The law of diminishing returns makes it an over-expenditure for normal desktop use, however.

-Raja

Area_66
Level 11
MoreBloodWine wrote:
MarkedOne telling people anything over 1600 is a waste of money. .

Hummm, I may say that you will not see improvement but I never say it’s a waste of money, because I’m a money waster and I care evenless when it's another one who pay. lol

MoreBloodWine
Level 7
Lol @ MO's response...

Well, as far as my uses goes... I would be doing ALOT of movie ripping / back up but the majority of what the system I'm building will be used for is a ton of gaming like WoW, Rift and msome other like Crysis 2 or whatever the name is (I keep hearin good reviews on the game so thought I'd give it a shot).

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

xeromist
Movie ripping is generally a CPU intensive process so your memory isn't going to be much of a factor. Games are likewise fairly CPU and GPU intensive.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Movie ripping is generally a CPU intensive process so your memory isn't going to be much of a factor. Games are likewise fairly CPU and GPU intensive.
Little brain fried right now so forgive the stupidity if I asked this somewhere else but when might a person find having say over DDR3 1600 beneficial ?

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

Retired
Not applicable
benchmarks and bragging rights. hahaha i dont think you would be able to tell in a real application. it may affect something for a split second and you may be chatting away before you could notice anything.

again if you had maybe integrated graphics that share its video memory from your ram. you may be able to see a slight difference, but again not much.

anything over 8gb in my opinion is either future proof or overkill. unless you use photoshop to render large files, 16gb of ram is not needed. its not going to make your boot time faster, games better, or movie experience any better. you're better off getting a SSD where your HDD is bottle necked in performance.

sometimes having too much memory will lower the stability of your system in a higher overclock.

Brian@ASUS wrote:
anything over 8gb in my opinion is either future proof or overkill.

For me it would be alot of future proofing if I were to max out at 16GB regardless of the memory standard selected since the system I'm building would have to last me at least 5+ years.

Brian@ASUS wrote:
sometimes having too much memory will lower the stability of your system in a higher overclock.
This is something I'd never considered before... as for higher overclocks.

I guess that also depends on the CPU since you need a bigger leap to go from 3.2 to 4.0 then say from 3.8 to 4.0 where the first would be a higher overclock.

Forget the bulldozer for a second which I do want but here's what I'd be after for right now.

I'd like to take this processor and go to 4.0 which should be easy at a .3 bump but here's where a higher overclock would come in, ideally I'd like to see if I can push 4.5 but that aside I'm def gonna shoot for 4.0.

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.